My Mosin-Nagant
Feb 23, 2005 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
this has been in my dad's gun cabinet all my life and only a few weeks ago did i recognize what it is... here's the photos

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

only problem is the bolt seems to be stuck.. it moves but not all the way...

Feb 24, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 64
Rule #1: Don't go looking down into the barrel if you don't know for sure if there is a round chambered!

Rule #2: Keep it pointed in a safe direction!

Rule #3: DO NOT put your finger in the trigger guard whatsoever!

Rule #5: Get it checked out by a qualified gunsmith who has experience with antique Russian rifles

Be careful! Don't be surprised if people jump all over you for posting pictures of a rifle.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 64
where did Rule #4 go?

and i know all that stuff...

and if people don't like firearms then that's their problem... i mean opinion

oh and on rules #3 what if i want to fire it
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 64
Heaven forbid you do like me...

031904me1.jpg

I've thought of picking up a Mosin-Nagant from time to time. Bought a cheapy Norinco SKS instead that is an accurate little booger...

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 64
archosman said:
031904me1.jpg
QUOTE]

Were you hunting bears in your apartment?
eek.gif

There's a brief write up about those Russian rifles in this months American Rifleman (publication of the NRA). They're not worth a whole lot, but they are getting popular as collectors pieces, apparently.

A lot of shooters are in to the history of guns, but not me. If something has surpassed old technology, I dispense with the previous iteration and go with the new tech. I understand the nostalgia value of personal items, and to a great degree the historical importance of certain firearms, like Enfield and Springfield rifles of the War of Northern Aggression, etc. It's just that I doubt I would ever have enough money to be able to collect firearms merely for their historical or nostalgic value. If I'm going to spend money on it, it has to go boom...

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 64
P.S. not to be a nag, but that photo reveals unsafe weapon handling. Finger off the trigger until your gun is pointed at the target. Plus, it's better to point a gun at the ground. In case of a negligent discharge, the bullet goes safely into the ground instead of up in the air to land you know not where...

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
P.S. not to be a nag, but that photo reveals unsafe weapon handling. Finger off the trigger until your gun is pointed at the target. Plus, it's better to point a gun at the ground. In case of a negligent discharge, the bullet goes safely into the ground instead of up in the air to land you know not where...

The target's on the ceiling...

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
The target's on the ceiling...

and you can see it from that position with your peripheral vision and aim accurately? You're a better shot than I...you must be EXTREMELY left eye dominant...

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

a few points...

1. empty rifle
2. oh wait you are talking to the other guy with a gun...

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #13 of 64
I would certainly go with the recommendation to have the gun serviced by
a gunsmith experienced with such arms.
For reasons of safety and preservation.
It has been my experience that if a firearm is going to be awkward and jam
it is usually with one up the spout.
If would be best to treat with extreme caution until one can prove it clear.

As for shooting historical firearms or obsolete designs, well personally I enjoy
shooting flintlocks,the somewhat protracted ignition sequence makes for
excellent training with ones technique!
Of course one also has to learn and exercise extra safety precautions
when using 'loose' powder during the loading and handling of such arms.

In a more modern vein am also a fan of of the Mauser C96 'broomhandle' pistol, good examples of these are a joy to behold [and shoot], reminding me of a precision machine tool rather than a mass produced military weapon.
biggrin.gif

Sadly the private ownership and keeping of such firearms is now prohibited
in the UK
frown.gif
mad.gif

I absolutely hate it when I see examples of the above pistols offered for sale
in a de-activated form, pure vandalism!

Setmenu

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 64
It's probably a M1892/30 Mosin Nagant rifle, made in 1937 though I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you what plant. The bolt is stuck because the safety is on. The MN have an interesting safety, you literally pull back the rear of the bolt and rotate it so that the large hook catches on the receiver, preventing the rear of the bolt (and the firing pin) from traveling forward. This is a fairly common rifle and are a dime a dozen. You can get them looking brand new for about $80-$100.

I'm not a fan of the Mosin Nagants, the cartridge is rimmed (though fortunately tapered so I haven't had any jams like with British .303), the rifle has a straight bolt handle, I find the action to be a little cumbersome, and the safety is very ackward (it takes some muscle to put the safety on). Still, you can find decently priced 7.62X54R commercial from Russia and the carbines are a hoot to shoot.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 64
One of my buddies from school had a very similar (if not the same kind) Mosin Nagant. His was functional and we used to take it out in the desert and go shooting. We were in New Mexico where shooting consisted of:
1. grab a few friends with guns
2. find an empty spot in the desert on BLM land
3. set up targets and shoot

The safety on his was the same as born2bwire mentions, where it's sort of a heavy, springloaded thing at the back and was very hard to work. The action on my friend's Mosin was a little hard to work but that might be chalked up to age. We were surprised at how accurate this thing is. I hit one of those 32oz Gatorade bottles from about 75 yards with no problem. The gun is really quite large and heavy, it feels very solid in your hands. My buddy nicknamed it "the mule" because he feels it kicks like one. The metal parts got kinda hot if you shot 5-10 rounds in a relatively short period of time. Still, it's fun to shoot and impressive considering the age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back