My Mosin-Nagant
Mar 2, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
We brought in a couple or three cases of Russian .30-06 last winter and it has been dandy. Accurate, reliable, 50s production, and a nice brass boxer primed case. Look for the stuff that's 22 rounds to the box. One of the side benefits of losing a bunch of Garands, BARs, and M3s in Korea: the Russkies had to go into .30-06 production ti utilize their "finds".
biggrin.gif

That's the first I've heard of Russian '06. I went out to Camp Perry and bought a case of LC 30'06 for $192 and this was competitive with the price of the cheapest Korean corrosive '06 that I found (although the Korean came with Enbloc clips, but I got nifty ammo cans from CMP as well). Where'd you find the Russian at?

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #32 of 64
A lot of surplus stores (not Army/Navy - the ones who send you crappy catalogs all the time) sell Russian ammo. Dunno about '06, but there's certainly a lot. I'd always wondered about quality, but it seems like they're decent, according to your accounts.

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Where'd you find the Russian at?

One of the major advertisers in Shotgun News over a year ago; the return on the label is to "Wholesale G&A, Central Islip, NY". It wasn't Wolf or some other commercial house; this stuff was in plain pasteboard Russian government boxes. 150 gr. cannelured bullet, red sealant at primer and neck. I'll look at a recent Shotgun News and see if I can figure it out.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #34 of 64
Folks who found this thread interesting may want to dig up a copy of Timothy J. Mullin's Testing the War Weapons, Paladin Press, 1997, ISBN 0-87364-943-5. Mullin is a farmer infantry captain in the U.S. Army who gathered together and tested most of the last centuries military rifles and light machine guns as fighting tools. It's a must read before you decide which old war dog to add to your shooting collection.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

its an antique rifle... why would you want to fire it? arent they meant more for displya than anything else?

Nothing wrong with an older rifle. They were made to be shot, assuming the action and barrel is still in good working shape with some cleaning it should shoot just fine.

Like others have said, I'd get a gunsmith to check it out. If it's fine, have fun. My Lee Enfield .303 is older but one of my favorites. And as always, obey all basic safety rules.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Heaven forbid you do like me...

031904me1.jpg

I've thought of picking up a Mosin-Nagant from time to time. Bought a cheapy Norinco SKS instead that is an accurate little booger...

Thank god I live in a country where there aren't people like you floating about brandishing guns.

Head-Fi censors the "F" word yet it allows guns? double standards to say the least.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Thank god I live in a country where there aren't people like you floating about brandishing guns.

While violating a basic safety rule is bad, I'd be more worried about criminals with guns. Oh wait, silly me, all the bad guys turned in their guns.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

Head-Fi censors the "F" word yet it allows guns? double standards to say the least.

Unfortunately in the UK the people 'floating about about brandishing guns' are
criminals.
Those of us who enjoy legally 'brandishing guns' for sporting purposes tend to be the ones who have them 'removed'.
Thus making the UK a safer place.
rolleyes.gif

Setmenu

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #40 of 64
Reminds me of my Mauser
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'm more worried by low self esteem dudes who point a gun in cyberspace

Please tone down the personal insults. Personally, I think self-defense is a right, and many people agree with me. If you do not agree, argue intelligently instead of flinging phrases such as "low self esteem."

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #43 of 64
031904me1.jpg

This is a gag pic of me that one of my shooting buddies took of me quite some time ago. It's unloaded and I know it for a fact... I had just finished cleaning it. No brass in the cylinder. You'd see it reflecting if it was. I don't keep anything loaded and know the status of all my firearms at all times. They're locked up as well. I feel no reason to apologise for it.

Pinkie...

GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
031904me1.jpg

This is a gag pic of me that one of my shooting buddies took of me quite some time ago. It's unloaded and I know it for a fact... I had just finished cleaning it. No brass in the cylinder. You'd see it reflecting if it was. I don't keep anything loaded and know the status of all my firearms at all times. They're locked up as well. I feel no reason to apologise for it.

Pinkie...

GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

Sorry Man, My apologies.

I sometimes forget this is a US site and that guns are legal over there.... in the UK the only type of people who carry guns around the streets are drug dealers, the police and criminals. Sorry about the low esteem bit that wasn't directed at you archosman, that was directed at all the low life "gangstas" who are out there shooting each other.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #45 of 64
For those who may be unfamiliar with the Mauser C96.[1896]
These are seriously nice pistols, holster doubles as shoulder stock, 10 shots
of 7.63 ammo [uses stripper clip rather than mag] very accurate.

Whilst I like the look as is the grip is not exactly the best thing ever designed,
I would love to do some off hand shooting with one of these fitted with an
anatomical target grip, it would be a bit like a walther GSP then.....

Setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back