My letter to Ultimate Ears
Sep 7, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 126
dmt1, when did you order from them? Were you given, at that time, the choice between hard acrylic and "full soft"?

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
Gorman--sorry to hear that, that is a bummer. But I'll bet you they'll take care of it for you; after working with them I'd be VERY surprised if they don't fix this to your satisfaction--so don't lose hope!! Mindy is awesome; I bet (and hope) it'll work out for you.

As a side note, I'm going to have to send mine back in too--I'm getting some (actually quit a bit) discomfort from the area of the right earpost area--I'm afraid it could lead to a pressure ulcer long term--and the longer I use them, the easier it is for me to lose the seal, especially on the left. I feel your pain having to send them in; I really enjoy them to the point that it will be tough to go without for a week or so.

Oh i see you have joined my team. LOL Didn't anyone tell you about the exorbitant subscription fees for joining my team ? LOL In return you have the prestigious priviledge of mentioning my "Team Minimalism" in your signature.
biggrin.gif

These adjustments are a major issue for anyone purchasing abroad cos of the cost of returning for adjustments, danger of getting lost and time it takes. I have filed down the ends of my UE-10 bores quite a lot myself and if anything my seal is now better.

I have thoughts of buying a Sensa at some point. If i could be sure i could get a perfect fit straight away i would order early next year but as this is not certain i would leave it to late next year as don't fancy any more IEM aggro for a long time.

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 126
Boy, that really does suck, gorman. I'm sure they'll make good on these for you, but the time and inconvenience -- not to mention living without them! -- that really does suck.

All these refitting issues, for both UE and Sensa, plus the hassle in the first place of getting molds made, and now this kind of problem -- yikes! You gotta be dedicated to make these custom IEMs work. But as we all know, it is absolutely worth it.

So my only question is -- how come you didn't post this on toaster's now-epic thread?
tongue.gif
Could extend it's life, eh?
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 126
Thank goodness I have the UE5c which has only two-thirds the chance of having a loose connection
biggrin.gif

Gorman, if my experience is any gauge...you will be taken care of.

As far as other's comments....we are starting to see some sensa owners requiring fit adjustments as well. It seems all custom IEM's have the potential of high PITA, but high reward.

dmt1...pressure ulcer? please elaborate to us non med school laypersons....

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
dmt1...pressure ulcer? please elaborate to us non med school laypersons....

When something presses on the skin for a period it can deprive the skin of its blood and oxygen supply. If this is prolonged the skin in that area dies or becomes damaged it will form an ulcer (a broken hole in the skin) which can be quite red and inflammed.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 126
Sorry to hear such terrible news. If the problem is in bad contact of high-end driver then it couldn't be UE mistake. How not moving part of phones could be broken? I think it's your fault.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOT
Sorry to hear such terrible news. If the problem is in bad contact of high-end driver then it couldn't be UE mistake. How not moving part of phones could be broken? I think it's your fault.

Because the problem is that with the full soft option, things are actually quite moveable inside the earpiece. I mean, since the material is pliable, soft... when you insert them there's always some "movement" of the soft part. Hard acrylic is different in that.

Hard Acrylic = your ear bends around the earpiece (if the fit is correct, no problem)

Full soft option = your ear bends around the earpiece AND the earpiece bends around your ear

I hope I have made myself clear.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #26 of 126
How can it be gorman's fault. These failed during normal use whether the insides move or not. They are guaranteed for a year so there are no issues except the hassle of sending them back and getting them fixed or replaced.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOT
The material isn't so soft to move when you are puting them on.

Kpot, it's not as if I like to counter your statements out of spite, but my UE-10 *do* move when I insert them in my ear. Any slight amount of pressure moves their insides. With the full soft option they are transparent on the inside, and it's plain to see that the internal parts move...

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 126
Hi Gorman,

We should all bear in mind that nothing is ever made that never suffers a fault. With the best will in the world sometimes a fault can occur. This can happen with DAP's, headphones, cars etc.

I'm sure that UE will sort the problem out, and that this is an isolated incident. DO NOT PANIC.

When you return them they should be declared on the customs form as "returned for repair under warranty" Similarly, UE will return them marked Replacement under warranty" so that you do not have to pay import duty and VAT.

My sympathies to you, I'd be equaly upset if it happened to me. However, UE are a company with an excellent reputation and I'm sure that everything will work out OK.

Best regards

John.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 126
Thanks John, I'm trying my best not to panic...
wink.gif

My main concern, at the moment, is regarding the full-soft option apparently not being offered anymore. This I find scary, as it seems they have found that it's fault-prone or something. I seriously hope to be wrong.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Kpot, it's not as if I like to counter your statements out of spite, but my UE-10 *do* move when I insert them in my ear. Any slight amount of pressure moves their insides. With the full soft option they are transparent on the inside, and it's plain to see that the internal parts move...

Well the Sensaphonics moves a lot from normal use and I don't expect the drivers to fail. I'd think that if the ue moves as well, they should also not fail from normal use. I'm sure you problem is rare. If they found a problem with their soft option, then they should recall them instead of waiting for each user to experience a problem (especially after the warrenty expires).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back