My letter to Ultimate Ears
Sep 8, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #46 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
My guesses is that the driver failure has nothing to do with the movements inside the casing. At any case, the only part that moves dramatically during normal use is the sound tube section. You have to apply a lot of pressure to cause movement and failure for other drivers built inside the casing. Things break without reasons all the time.

Sure they do, but as far as I can guess, what's broken here is not the highs driver, is the contact that leads to it, the cable, the soldering... something that fixes itself when I apply the slightest pressure on the outside of the earpiece, toward the "point" pointing toward the top of my head.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 126
An update. Mindy Harvey replied stating that they will fully stand behind their product and everything will be covered by the warranty.

I particularly appreciated one passage and I take the liberty to quote it:

Quote:

I am certain that you have properly cared for your Ultimate Ears and this is in no way related to any type of abuse.

I nonetheless inquired regarding the full-soft vs. hard acrylic thing. I'll keep you posted.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #48 of 126
Congratulations!! I knew they'd take care of you. I'd highly recommend the hard acrylic--I got it specifically for the reason of durablity, and it's very comfortable. I've had silicone earmolds before, and the hard acrylic is to me as comfortable and easier to insert. The only difference is you'll notice that the molds feel cool at first, but warm up quickly.

I've outdone you though on UE10 problems--last night I think I damaged the drivers, and unfortunately it's my fault. I had the volume accidentally all the way up on my ipod, and plugged in--during the middle of a very loud song. Not only did it hurt my ears, but I'm 99.99% certain I damaged the high frequency driver--I get a bit of fuzz on some guitar tracks (they're not destroyed; the actually still sound pretty darned good despite what I did to them). Probably would have been ok on a "light" song, or at the very beginning of a song; just my luck. I'm so friggin' disgusted with myself...

I called Sherry and told her what happend; I was sending them in anyway for some minor fit issues (I'd just spoken to her yesterday about that). The lab is going to check them out, but I'm pretty sure I damaged them. I just wonder what the outcome will be; this isn't a warranty issue, but I'm hoping for the best. And now I'll be without them for a while.

Anyway, everyone with the custom IEM's, learn from my stupidity and be VERY careful before plugging in; check the volume before turning on (This was the ONE time I didn't). It was a one in a million occurrence; I never have the volume up that loud, nor am I usually paused in the middle of a song (I usuall have the volume at half of slightly above half with the UE's), I must of touched the scroll wheel accidentally and turned the volume up before plugging in. What the heck, maybe I'll sue 3 Doors Down, it was their song...
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #49 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
I've outdone you though on UE10 problems--last night I think I damaged the drivers, and unfortunately it's my fault. I had the volume accidentally all the way up on my ipod, and plugged in--during the middle of a very loud song.

No matter how nice you are - admitting to a mistake in such a scenario is not what I would do. I would have told UE that my driver failed and demanded replacement...

Maybe I am a crook...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #50 of 126
dmt1, it's unbelievable! Drivers have protection! You can only deform voice-coil (it can melt with the help of high-tension current). Only this thing can kill driver...

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #51 of 126
Are you sure you didn't just damage your ears?

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #52 of 126
Quote:

Congratulations!! I knew they'd take care of you. I'd highly recommend the hard acrylic--I got it specifically for the reason of durablity, and it's very comfortable. I've had silicone earmolds before, and the hard acrylic is to me as comfortable and easier to insert. The only difference is you'll notice that the molds feel cool at first, but warm up quickly.

I've outdone you though on UE10 problems--last night I think I damaged the drivers, and unfortunately it's my fault. I had the volume accidentally all the way up on my ipod, and plugged in--during the middle of a very loud song. Not only did it hurt my ears, but I'm 99.99% certain I damaged the high frequency driver--I get a bit of fuzz on some guitar tracks (they're not destroyed; the actually still sound pretty darned good despite what I did to them). Probably would have been ok on a "light" song, or at the very beginning of a song; just my luck. I'm so friggin' disgusted with myself...

I called Sherry and told her what happend; I was sending them in anyway for some minor fit issues (I'd just spoken to her yesterday about that). The lab is going to check them out, but I'm pretty sure I damaged them. I just wonder what the outcome will be; this isn't a warranty issue, but I'm hoping for the best. And now I'll be without them for a while.

Anyway, everyone with the custom IEM's, learn from my stupidity and be VERY careful before plugging in; check the volume before turning on (This was the ONE time I didn't). It was a one in a million occurrence; I never have the volume up that loud, nor am I usually paused in the middle of a song (I usuall have the volume at half of slightly above half with the UE's), I must of touched the scroll wheel accidentally and turned the volume up before plugging in. What the heck, maybe I'll sue 3 Doors Down, it was their song...
icon10.gif

Now the real question is, why the heck you'd bother with 3 doors down?!
tongue.gif

I'm sorry for what happend though. That's a real bummer, and I hope it works out all nice for you as well as for gorman.

-Rasmus

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #53 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
No matter how nice you are - admitting to a mistake in such a scenario is not what I would do. I would have told UE that my driver failed and demanded replacement...

Maybe I am a crook...
rolleyes.gif

I'm not trying to be "holier than thou," but I just don't feel comfortable doing that, especially since when it's all said and done, they've treated me very well. And Kpot, maybe they have some sort of protection, but the fuzzy crackle wasn't there before, and it was immediately afterward, and it's still there today, although not as bad as it was immediately after I did that. It's not like a driver is completely blown, but ever so slightly damaged. I could be wrong; we'll see what the lab says, but I'll bet there's damage to them. Although I hope your right...

And Pank, I only have one song by 3 Doors Down (even more of a reason to sue them!!
icon10.gif
), and it's a "guilty pleasure song" (Kryptonite), one of those songs I'm embarrassed to admit that I like--there are many, many others though...

And Iamdone, I don't think it's my ears, as it was only for a couple of seconds, but anything is possible, as they did get a good blast. But it sounds like damage I've had with other stereo products in the past. My fear is it's analgous to stereo speakers--start off at low volume and gradually turn them up, and you can get them insanely loud with no problems. But turn them on in the middle of a loud song at high volume, and blow them to shreds....

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #54 of 126
Quote:

And Pank, I only have one song by 3 Doors Down (even more of a reason to sue them!!
icon10.gif
), and it's a "guilty pleasure song" (Kryptonite), one of those songs I'm embarrassed to admit that I like--there are many, many others though...

I got away from the sun. Don't tell anybody thouhg
frown.gif
I'd die of shame... well I got a copy, but we could sue them for not making it unavalible on the 'net...
Like Maroon5 they might as well have put the same song on the album 12 times. they all sound the same.

Sorry for posting this rather off topic comment.
Gotta get back to the social sci. paper.
-Rasmus

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #55 of 126
Quote:

icon10.gif

It was my understanding that UE10's had "a lot" of top end. I'm surprised (and skeptical) that an ipod could blow the UE's....but I believe you. I've been careful of this more to protect my hearing than the UE's. I could imagine the extreme pain of getting sonically blasted about 8 mm from my eardrum.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #56 of 126
jeez dmt,

you ue people are running into bad luck here...

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #57 of 126
Quote:

I'm not trying to be "holier than thou," but I just don't feel comfortable doing that, especially since when it's all said and done, they've treated me very well.

I appreciate your straightforwardness. Just for this reason they should replace your set with a new one. I will try to follow your ethical standards. Thanks for the "eye-opener"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #58 of 126
Quote:

And Pank, I only have one song by 3 Doors Down (even more of a reason to sue them!! ), and it's a "guilty pleasure song" (Kryptonite), one of those songs I'm embarrassed to admit that I like--there are many, many others though...

there's nothing to be embarassed about here, people
That particular song is well recorded and has to be heard through a nice pair of Grado/ALessandro's to understand what intimate presentation is all about in rock/metal music.
I am proud to say that I have that song as well and I quite like it.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #59 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
It was my understanding that UE10's had "a lot" of top end. I'm surprised (and skeptical) that an ipod could blow the UE's....but I believe you. I've been careful of this more to protect my hearing than the UE's. I could imagine the extreme pain of getting sonically blasted about 8 mm from my eardrum.

Yes, this is something I never want to do to my ears again...

But I don't the Ipod blew the drivers, but ever so slightly damaged them. Maybe Kpot is correct in that they are somehow protected, but if so, I don't think it was enough. There is fuzz and crackles on electric guitars that wasn't there before. It actually got better over time, but it is still there. We'll see what UE says; I sent them back yesterday. The problem at least as I perceive it is not just the high volume, but going from no volume at all to extremely high volume in an instant--I used to understand the physics behind why this would blow speakers (whereas slowly turning up the volume would not), but I've forgotten it. My bet is that if you slowly increased the volume all the way to high, it wouldn't hurt the drivers. The drivers aren't blown though, and it only happens on certain songs with electric guitars--examples: the intro for "Ain't talkin' bout Love," the guitar intro for "Brown eyed girl", which isn't a "metal" type of song, and in the middle of "Kryptonite"--which is how I recognized it immediately, as I had been listening to the song before, and the fuzz and crackle definitely wasn't there. Again, over time, it settled down, but it was definitely there--and I think it was from the phones rather than my ears, as it's not there with speakers or other phones.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #60 of 126
dmt1, armature drivers designed not to be damaged with high impact impulse.
There are 2 things driver can be damaged with:
1. Very strong current;
2. Foreign matter;

UE10PROs have interesting electric schematics: high-end driver receives the greater voltage, so it will be damaged first. (bass-drivers receives half of high-end voltage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back