My letter to Ultimate Ears
Sep 7, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #31 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Thanks John, I'm trying my best not to panic...
wink.gif

My main concern, at the moment, is regarding the full-soft option apparently not being offered anymore. This I find scary, as it seems they have found that it's fault-prone or something. I seriously hope to be wrong.

They will probably have to replace the entire unit. If they don't make the full soft at all (even for repairs) then I'd be inclined to think that there is a chance a replacement will involve making it in the firm acrylic. Obviously you couldn't have one of each so they'd likely make you a whole new pair.

My full-soft UE-10 Pro have been no problem at all.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #32 of 126
My guesses is that the driver failure has nothing to do with the movements inside the casing. At any case, the only part that moves dramatically during normal use is the sound tube section. You have to apply a lot of pressure to cause movement and failure for other drivers built inside the casing. Things break without reasons all the time.

As far as the full-soft option being taken off their website, do we have any confirmation that UE doesn't offer full-soft anymore? I couldn't find any related information to their full-soft material anymore either, or did I just not look hard enough?

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #33 of 126
Hi Lindrone,

I seem to remember that UE decided to remove the soft option for domestic users since it wasn't as durable as the hard option if the ear pieces weren't looked after. i.e. Just stuck in a pocket. This is probably why they removed this option from their website. As far as I know they still make this option available for professional users.

Cheers

John

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 126
Quote:

dmt1, when did you order from them? Were you given, at that time, the choice between hard acrylic and "full soft"?

I ordered the UE5 early August, and they let me go up to the UE10's two weeks later. I wasn't given the choice of "full soft", but I told them right off the bat that I wanted hard acrylic. I THOUGHT that the soft option was still available, but only to musicians/performers (they apparently will use the monitor for a single tour, then start with a brand new one the next time they go out, so that durability isn't as much of an issue--must be good to be decadently wealthy!)!

And the part about pressure ulcers--it's very common with poorly fitting hearing aids; I wear these longer than I thought I would initially, so I'm not going to take the chance of developing one. I don't have any discomfort internally (in fact, I think I'm going to ask them to see if they can improve the seal further, as it breaks relatively easy on the left), but externally, it's a problem.

Geez Penbat, I didn't realize there was fee involved!!

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #35 of 126
Man, that sucks. Feel with you.
Hope things will work out.

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #36 of 126
well, shoulda gone with the sensas.

honestly though, that really sux, especially since you came here to the states to get them.

i am sure they'll give you a new pair at no cost, espeically since they know many future buyers on head-fi will be keeping a close watch on this thread...

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 126
Quote:

Kpot, it's not as if I like to counter your statements out of spite, but my UE-10 *do* move when I insert them in my ear. Any slight amount of pressure moves their insides. With the full soft option they are transparent on the inside, and it's plain to see that the internal parts move...

wha wha what? the internal parts move???

sensaphonics can't make molds for a ue-10 can they?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #39 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
wha wha what? the internal parts move???

sensaphonics can't make molds for a ue-10 can they?
rolleyes.gif

As great a the sesnaphonics are I still do think it's right to bash on the ultimate ears. I just think he has a fluke. If this was normal, the company would be out of business.

I just realized something. If they really do have great customer service they can send you another pair (since they already have your molds) and send you a pre-paid shipping box to return your other ones. Why should you be without your headphones on the account of their malfunction. There are a lot of companies that will send you the replacement first instead of waiting to receive yours.

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #40 of 126
cmon, i am just kidding around.

i don't think anything i said (even if i was being serious, which i was clearly not) would even qualify as ue-bashing.

i already said i felt bad for the guy.

it's hard to believe some people came here actually blaming gorman, saying that it was his fault...kpot. that's the last thing he wants to hear right now.

i must say though, i do think it is indeed a bit fishy that ue now no longer appears to offer their "soft" model.

and i think iamdone has a good point. ue definitely should feel obligated to do this, considering the type of product these custom iem's are. ue has your molds at their place right?

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #41 of 126
Quote:

cmon, i am just kidding around.

i don't think anything i said (even if i was being serious, which i was clearly not) would even qualify as ue-bashing.

i already said i felt bad for the guy.

it's hard to believe some people came here actually blaming gorman, saying that it was his fault...kpot. that's the last thing he wants to hear right now.

i must say though, i do think it is indeed a bit fishy that ue now no longer appears to offer their "soft" model.

that's a good idea iamdone. and ue definitely should feel obligated to do this. i was actually thinking about that too. ue has your molds at their place right?

Yeah, I know you were joking but still, if I spent $1000 and someone says should have bought this one instead, I don't think I'd find it funny. Plus I don't think it's fair to Ultimate Ears if people around here stop buying them because one person had a problem. If they go with Sensaphonics for other reasons that's fine.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #42 of 126
i apologize if my intended humor forced people out of their decision to purchase the ue's.

sorry gorman. i truly do feel for you in your situation.

having just jumped on the same boat as you, i can only imagine how frustrated i would feel.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #44 of 126
Quote:

i apologize if my intended humor forced people out of their decision to purchase the ue's.

sorry gorman. i truly do feel for you in your situation.

having just jumped on the same boat as you, i can only imagine how frustrated i would feel.

First things first. I did not take offense. At all. I was definitely expecting some remarks about Sensas, but I read them with a smile on my face. No matter what happens to each of us, this is still a place for people that share a passion (a strong passion I'd say), so throwing in some humour is "part of the game"!

I'm not implying that this problem is widespread. I'm worried because of the full soft option disappearing from their website and order forms. I think everybody would be.

As far as the internals moving... I need probably to make a small movie (AVI or something) to show what I mean. It's not as if the internals are moving by themselves. They move when the hardened silicone moves, they move with it.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #45 of 126
I did let people know that I switched over to the hard acrylic material to avoid any snafoos with the full-soft material. Having owned them for a short while, I must say that the hard acrylic material is far more durable and of equal comfort as the full soft material, however the issues with reliability and durability are moot for me.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back