My letter to Sandisk Sansa - Praising them for 3 years of 99% stress free listening. I HOPE SANSA READS THIS!!!!
Jul 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, recently I had a falling out over mp3 players.  I've really been upset at the poor performance of certain brands.  I've had quite a few PMPs over the years and decided to write a letter to sandisk.  I hope someone over at SanDisk Sansa reads this.  I won't copy the entire letter, but i will just sum up what I had to say.  I asked myself how a committee of CEOs and engineers who work for brands, not sansa, can sit at their big table and say some of the following lines

"Lets make our mp3 player have no playlist support at all!....BRILLIANT!"
"lets make sure our pmp cant skip tracks randomly!...AWESOME!" 
"hey guys, who needs flac, .mov  .mp4 and .flv support?  NOBODY!! YEAH!!!"
"do we really need to tell people our device was made in 2010 but requires only XP to load the firmware and if you try it on vista, you brick it!...WOOO GREAT IDEA!"

( this is what MANY media device makers actually did.)

Basically what I said was that over the past 3 years, my Sansa Fuze has outperformed 100% of the competition in portable media players.  It outlasted all of the above and remained my player of choice over everything.  It is 99% awesome.  The other 1% I had a few gripes about.  I explained to them how right they got it.  The fuze is my pick for the best mp3 player ever made.  Its small, its output is immensely powerful, its so easy to use and causes no problems what so ever, full playlist support, drag and drop, and overall its just the most satisfying experience compared to other name brands.  My fuze died recently, I purchased the 8gb version the day it was released and it only now started to fail completely, the battery died out.  It survived brutality over years and lasted to summer 2010 from its release date years ago, heavy daily usage.  

My gripes were small and easily fixable in a new version.  I ask that sansa does not change ANYTHING, but adds the few things i would like. 

The first being that I really wanted a more detailed EQ much like cowons.  All those crazy presets dont need to be there, just give me a wider range of EQ possibilities.  Also, let me save a custom EQ setting to each song.  So that if i have a classical song right next to a rock song in my playlist, I don't have to use the preset or reEQ it just for that song and it will remember the setting designated for each song if i so choose it.  

I really want the sansa fuze touch screen model.  HOWEVER!  I do not want it larger than 2 inches.  I want it just big enough for me to hold in one hand, and use my thumb to scroll through songs and click on the large icons.  If you were to make it bigger, do not make it that much bigger than what the Fuze right now is in terms of size, just make the entire face of it a touch screen.  MachSpeed has a touch screen model of that size, so it certainly is possible and would be the first great small touch model ever.  

Basically what this all is about is that I am sick of buying and having to resell other brands, you name it, I had it, and found something very wrong with it.  I loved the cowon s9, but the lack of playlist support upset me to no end, I should not have to void my warranty to mod it just to get some things working right, Drag and drop should be standard and Apple is too far up their butts to see that even like a decade later.  They've not listened to one customer in their entire existence.  

It is much like the new call of duty modern warfare 2 game.  It has such an immense customer base, 25 million players online at any time, 100+ worldwide and they don't listen or support us in the slightest.  You'd think if your product were that popular, you would listen and try to make people happy.  But they don't.  So i praise Sansa for thinking things out before hand and including almost all things needed, but you do need to start listening to your customers, your support forums are dreadful and full of a few thousand people griping about the same things as me. 
You could do wonders if you would just listen.  Apple and all the other major brands won't ever listen, so i've at least some hope someone will read up on sansa reviews and see you did a great job and the things you need to make your PMPs the best available are small and easy and quickly done.  Hell sansa, with a new firmware update for the fuze you can blow away everyone.

add some media type support
-flv, mov, mp4,   Dont turn into apple please
-lets get a nicer eq going on
-get rid of the need for the converter to add videos

give us that at least so we can all review your pmps as the undisputed best all around player ever :wink: 

ALSO!  if you ever decide to make a touch version that is around the size of the fuze, why not send me the first model? :D

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 69

Small, yes. Easy to use, yes( it was my first ever DAP). Output immensely powerful, I would have to disagree with that.
atsmile.gif

Quote:
swbf2cheater said:

The fuze is my pick for the best mp3 player ever made.  Its small, its output is immensely powerful, its so easy to use

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 69
I'd have to re-disagree with you :)

The fuze has a 60mw output

Ipods including touch and g5 = 30mw
zune original = 30mw
creative zen = 30mw
sony x1060 = 10mw
p3 = 9mw
Cowon S9 = 12mw ( rumored, not much of an improvement over the p3 so its accurate )
Cowon J3 = 29mw

the fuze is 2x as powerful, tested to be accurate and true with all of the above, as it drives much high ohm needy headphones better than any of these :wink:

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 69

Quote:
I'd have to re-disagree with you :)

The fuze has a 60mw output

Ipods including touch and g5 = 30mw
zune original = 30mw
creative zen = 30mw
sony x1060 = 10mw
p3 = 9mw
Cowon S9 = 12mw ( rumored, not much of an improvement over the p3 so its accurate )
Cowon J3 = 29mw

the fuze is 2x as powerful, tested to be accurate and true with all of the above, as it drives much high ohm needy headphones better than any of these :wink:

I remember my Samsung Q2, which was rated 20mW/ch, for total of 40mW, being noticeably more powerful than my old V1 Fuze was.....especially when bringing EQ into the mix. I am only comparing Sansa firmware though, I never Rockboxed it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to them both to compare again. My co-worker is still rocking my former Q2, which is a year old now, but my old Fuze, he bought from me to give to his brother, who ended up having it stolen.

What I would like to see on a revamped Fuze (Fuze+)?.....a dedicated volume control, and button layout like the Clip+, as opposed to the wheel and that slider power/hold switch. Also, if they can put 8GB memory into a tiny Clip+, then the Fuze should have 16GB or more. I have no interest in video on a screen that size, but I do agree that it needs a better quality custom EQ. I don't like the idea of separate EQ for each song, but hey, to each his own, right? Just let me save a couple settings for different headphones.
dt880smile.png

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 69
I have a v2 clip and an 8gb fuze. I agree, these are among if not the best players for the money out there - low price, good community support and virtually hassle free. They sound great, too.

At first I hated the wheel volume control, but now I love it. It's so much easier to reach into your pocket and adjust than having the separate bar on the side like the clip.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 69
^ my thoughts as well

I love the wheel, its accurate and not flimsy.  If another fuze is made that is not a touch, i prefer the wheel over clip buttons, can't scroll well with those.  

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 69
Does the Clip+ have the same power output as the Fuze (v2)?

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 69
i researched and couldn't find a definitive answer.  

but comparing the original clip ( not the + sorry i havent used it or really know if its different )
to the fuze, i'd estimate it at around 20mw, its not as punchy or loud as the cowons or the ipods, but its not that far off as to say its twice as weak.  

the fuze drives iems to unlistenable levels, my clip doesnt, nor does the cowon or ipods, unless they are a pair of those .99$ maxell buds, then its just defining because their ohmage is like 5 :wink:

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 69
My clip+ drives all my iem's to very unlistenable levels. The same goes for the cowon d2 I used to have as well as every dap I've had with the exception of the sansa e260.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 69
Odd.  My settings are set to 'high' for volume and the Clip+ is constantly pegged at max.  Far from unlistenable unless you are referring to the lack of body from the mediocre sound quality.  That's my experience.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 69
I think the clip+ volume goes from 6db down to somewhere around -50db or so. Typically when I'm on the train it is somewhere around -25 or so.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 69
My Rockboxed clips drive my iems to more than high enough levels with most recordings.
I do a lot of listening unamped but having amp to unload the output stage really makes a difference to the sound, a nice treat.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 69
My Clip+ with the factory firmware will make my PX100's painfully loud, as I discovered earlier. I was using it with my PA2v2 last night, with C+ volume into the amp at about 85%......earlier, I forgot about that, plugged in the PX100's, and just about jumped through the roof! That was my facepalm moment of the day.
redface.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 69
well I may just have to get a clip +  based on those reviews of power ! 

lol, the original clip annoyed me, I used some demanding iems now and then with it when im out and about and always got upset over it.  I never knew the + version was any different inside, i assumed the button and face were changed and nothing more 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back