My Koss DJ 100's hurt my ears(pressure on them)
Nov 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Connormgs

New Head-Fier
The reviews I read said they were comfortable, yet when I wear them for a while they start to hurt the tops of my ears. I enjoy them a lot, they just get very uncomfortable and hurt my ears. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Don't use them
normal_smile%20.gif

Just kidding. They're not too bad for me.
Believe it or not they can be used with the Pearstone Velour pads. This may not make sense, but they actually FIT the DJ100.

The pads are oval, but the DJ100 cups are round. When they fit, they look a bit goofy and almost look like it'd degrade the sound, but they don't.
None of the holes are blocked.

I think sometimes due to a poor seal, the bass may degrade for some people with the included pads. With the Pearstone they give a better fit for me and help the bass a bit too me.

They're the same ones the MDR-V6 use. I don't think they look too bad, but awkward still.

With the included pads I'd give the comfort a 7.5 or 8. With the Pearstone a 9. They're also extremely comfortable and totally surround my ears.

I know you were expecting a free solution, but for anyone that likes the DJ100 enough, it may be worth the $20 investment.

I think I heard of someone putting cardboard inside the standard pads to open them up a bit more. I don't know how this works. The only negative of the DJ100 is that the earpads are not that deep.

You can find the Pearstone earpads at B&H. It's the only place i've seen that sells them.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 10

I used to own the DJ100. Headphones like this can press against the ears because the ear pads are not deep enough. You can try loosening the clamping force of the DJ100, which may help - it is adjustable. 

Also, a mod that is used with other headphones to address this problem is to put something under the ear pads to puff it up higher and make room for the ears. Wadded up tissue paper has been used for this - among other things like foam. 

Quote:
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 10
@tdockweiler, can you post a picture of the DJ100s with the Pearstone pads? I will probably buy them soon...

Oh and when I got home for Thanksgiving break a couple days ago, I gave the DJ100s the first serious listen with my PA2V2 amp. OH GLORY! This is completely different than without an amp! The detail! The accurate (and deep, when necessary) bass! Now THIS is what I paid for. 
dt880smile.png

The only thing they really lack (slightly, mind you) is comfort, as they sometimes make my ears hurt after a while, but I hope the Pearstone pads will alleviate that.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 10

I sure can. I stopped using the Pearstone Pads when I started using the DJ100 for gaming (yes, they're very good for that!) because the velour made my ears hot.
I actually found out that the best pads are the ones that are included with the M30! I think Sony V6 pads will also fit! They actually are oval, but fit well and don't cover up any of the holes.

Believe it or not the Shure SRH-440 pads will fit but the bass goes missing. Completely! Even the k240 pads fit kind of, but again HORRID sound. I think the bass only shows up with the correct pads and when a person has a good seal.
The Velour pads and M30 pads offer more depth and give a better fit. The M30 pads also don't make my ears hot after using them for 3 hours.

Yeah it's just strange how much the DJ100 needs a good amp. If that wasn't bad enough it's VERY picky with them. My opinion is that when properly amped they don't really lack anything. I even compared the SRH-440 to them tonight and the DJ100 won easily.

I think the DJ100 could make a great cheap budget gaming headphone, but the default pads kind of hold it back a bit. I did try my DJ100 again unamped the other day. Absolutely HORRIBLE to me. I wouldn't be surprised of many returns because of that. Even my $99 Nuforce Mobile hates them.

So anyway I'll post that picture. I'd seriously suggest trying the M30 pads too. Those pads may be too small for some ears, but not mine. Those are some of the rare plastic pads that actually keep my ears cool. Strange.

I might be able to post it tonight, if not, then tomorrow morning.

I'm really impressed with koss lately. Even the UR-55 is quite amazing, but only when the grill is removed. Best $50 headphone ever!
Quote:
@tdockweiler, can you post a picture of the DJ100s with the Pearstone pads? I will probably buy them soon...

Oh and when I got home for Thanksgiving break a couple days ago, I gave the DJ100s the first serious listen with my PA2V2 amp. OH GLORY! This is completely different than without an amp! The detail! The accurate (and deep, when necessary) bass! Now THIS is what I paid for. 
dt880smile.png

The only thing they really lack (slightly, mind you) is comfort, as they sometimes make my ears hurt after a while, but I hope the Pearstone pads will alleviate that.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 10
I've taken some pictures of them for you. I wish they fit better and they look a bit goofy, but luckily the comfort is now far, far better and the oval shape of the pads actually HELPS the sound quality of this headphone for some reason!
I now prefer the M30 pads due to how cool they keep my ears and how much deeper they are. V6 pads should also work, but I haven't tried them.

Pearstone Velour Pads on DJ100

Pearstone Velour on DJ100 (front)

DJ100 with Audio Technica ATH-M30 pads

Hopefully someone can find other pads that fit these! So far the M30 pads are so good that it's all I need!

Just for fun, here is another one: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRY THIS! HORRIBLE SOUND QUALITY!

DJ100 with AKG k240 pads. Almost a perfect fit! (again, horrible sound and totally not worth it. Luckily they were just spare pads laying around)

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the pictures. 
smile.gif

I guess I will buy the M30 pads, they are cheaper than the other ones too.

Not to annoy you, but...how do you take the pads off? I searched around, but did not find any info on this...

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

Not to annoy you, but...how do you take the pads off? I searched around, but did not find any info on this...

Just remember though that the M30 pads don't fit everyone well. I guess if it's a problem you can probably return them. They fit my ears perfectly.

With the DJ100 pads you just pull on the edge of the pad and it just comes right off.
When you put the new pads around, just put the plastic edge of the pad into the grooves of the headphone and work your way around. It's really easy. Now it takes me only about 10 seconds.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 10
I had a thought just now...maybe my M40 pads would fit? And they do, but at the expense of most of the bass that was formerly there. *sigh*  The treble detail is even more "visible" now though. I guess the M30 pads are indeed smaller than the ones I have, as I see in your pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back