My IEM Problem...six pairs in my hands now, and feel just "eh" about all of them. Mini-reviews on each inside.
Jun 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #16 of 28
  Interesting. I'm using Meelectronics triple-flange right now and the double-flanges don't really noticeably different. Maybe I'll try the stock tips again tonight. Strange though, that most people in the thread say the Meelec double-flanges are the best tips for them and they are by far the deepest insertion, even moreso than the triple flange (the second and third flanges on the triples are much smaller than the second on the double, which is huge).

(Edited in the last sentence)

Insertion depth varies according to your ear canal diameter. I also use the Meelecs, they are the best tips for the Tenores as long as your ear canal is small enough to achieve a seal when only the outer flange is inserted in it. You may also have a defective pair, James just got a warm pair and he isn't the only one. Normally the Tenores don't have a low mids lift. What they do have is a sub bass that doesn't roll off when it should but that shouldn't affect low mids and treble or make them sound warm. Unfortunately there are a lot of reports about sound variance with these from people that have more than one pair. I also have two pairs but they sound the same.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #17 of 28

Insertion depth varies according to your ear canal diameter. I also use the Meelecs, they are the best tips for the Tenores as long as your ear canal is small enough to achieve a seal when only the outer flange is inserted in it. You may also have a defective pair, James just got a warm pair and he isn't the only one. Normally the Tenores don't have a low mids lift. What they do have is a sub bass that doesn't roll off when it should but that shouldn't affect low mids and treble or make them sound warm. Unfortunately there are a lot of reports about sound variance with these from people that have more than one pair. I also have two pairs but they sound the same.

Well I definitely get a great seal with the Meelec triple-flanges, but I think you're absolutely right that I've ended up with a "warm" pair. I heard of this issue before going after the Tenores and I'll be contacting Zero Audio to see if they can do anything about replacing or repairing them.

(I considered asking you to temporarily swap out my pair of Tenores for yours so that you could compare mine to yours and I could hear what they're supposed to sound like... but you're in Greece so shipping might be a bit prohibitive on that front :p so I'll just contact Zero Audio instead)

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 28

Well I definitely get a great seal with the Meelec triple-flanges, but I think you're absolutely right that I've ended up with a "warm" pair. I heard of this issue before going after the Tenores and I'll be contacting Zero Audio to see if they can do anything about replacing or repairing them.

(I considered asking you to temporarily swap out my pair of Tenores for yours so that you could compare mine to yours and I could hear what they're supposed to sound like... but you're in Greece so shipping might be a bit prohibitive on that front :p so I'll just contact Zero Audio instead)

Lol yeah, it might cost more than a new pair. What i am using is meelec double, not triple flanges. Those are made for a shallow insertion, not a deep one, unlike the triple flanges. The Tenore in general is made for a shallow fit, look at the default flanges, short height and big diameter. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 28
Your problem is your buying to many low to mid tier iems.My advice save for senn ie800 or shure se846.Your ''eh'' feeling will disappear and will be replaced by drooling,increased heart rate and serious addiction problems.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #20 of 28

Lol yeah, it might cost more than a new pair. What i am using is meelec double, not triple flanges. Those are made for a shallow insertion, not a deep one, unlike the triple flanges. The Tenore in general is made for a shallow fit, look at the default flanges, short height and big diameter. 

I actually didn't hear much of a difference between the double and triple flanges, but that was just a few quick back-and-forths with well-known songs. I'll try the stock tips once I get home, though.

Your problem is your buying to many low to mid tier iems.My advice save for senn ie800 or shure se846.Your ''eh'' feeling will disappear and will be replaced by drooling,increased heart rate and serious addiction problems.

I would love to and this would be my preferred plan of action, but unfortunately I can't justify paying more than half of my monthly income for a pair of IEMs.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #21 of 28

I haven't listened to those, but iems like the se535, sm3 and ie80, while good, aren't that much better than a great 100-200$ pair. The law of diminishing returns... The size constraints can't be circumvented by throwing more money on your pairs.

I actually didn't hear much of a difference between the double and triple flanges, but that was just a few quick back-and-forths with well-known songs. I'll try the stock tips once I get home, though.

In order to get a different sound try to get a shallow fit. If your pair has too much bass, you can do a vent mod, it's easy and totally reversible. Search for vent mode in the Tenores thread.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 28

I completely agree.  I honestly enjoyed my Atrio MG7 (for $110) as much as any IEM I have owned.  I slightly prefer my UM Pro 30's for their build quality & more balanced, natural sound but they cost 4x the price. $150-200 MSRP is kind of the sweet spot.  Once you find your preferred sound signature the differences will be minimal after that.

Nope.There is a reason people are paying big backs for iems like ie800,shure se846,1plus2,tg334 and even better for customs.The sweet spot is around $400-500 where you can get around 80 to 90% of the sound of $1000 iems but you will still be missing.My recommendation at that price range would be HA-FX850,fischer amps fa-4 e or asg2.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 28
Buddy don't jump to conclusions if you haven't heard at least some of the iems listed.I have the ie800 and demoed the shure se846 and  they destroy iems in the $200 price range in every possible way. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 28
  Buddy don't jump to conclusions if you haven't heard at least some of the iems listed.I have the ie800 and demoed the shure se846 and  they destroy iems in the $200 price range in every possible way. 

@Caruryn...  I'm on the threshold of buying either the Shure SE846 (based on my great satisfaction with the Shure SE535 but bemoaning its lack of bass) and Sennheiser IE800 (based on overall great reviews).   

How do you compare the Shure SE846 to the Sennheiser IE800?  Thanks!

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #28 of 28
The 846 is a more detailed fuller sounding 535 with better treble extension and thunderous bass.You can customise the sound with the filters(brighter or warmer or stock) and it's a safe choice if you liked the lush engaging mids of 535.The ie800 are more balanced,the mids are natural sounding with better tonal balance than shure and a little more clear and detailed but don't have the slam of 846.Don't get me wrong,the bass is still there deep,well controlled,impactful but does not extend as low.These are some of the cleanest,natural and balanced(low,mid,high)universal iems you can buy.My opinion,go for ie800 since it's around $250 cheaper and save another $100 for a great dap like ibasso dx90(great synergy with ie800) and you're set.If money is no issue and don't want to deviate from the shure house sound the choice is obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back