My headphone collection is nothing, and I mean nothing!
Jan 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #46 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here’ a really quick and dirty tally… he's got about 125 cans at an average price of $450 = $56, 250 USD. If you think the average would be higher due to such headphones as the R10s, 010, L3000s, HP-1/2, PS-1, K-1000s etc… then increase the average to $550. Tally would be $68,750.
blink.gif

Average price of $450? No wonder you're going into law. You're gonna do great estimating your billable hours.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #52 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Average price of $450? No wonder you're going into law. You're gonna do great estimating your billable hours.

Best regards,

-Jason

Funny….

What would you estimate the average is?

Because you awfully seem like the knowledgeable fellow. Why not provide something more precise or at least better instead of just knocking it?

Someone asked and I gave a moments thought and stabbed at it prefaced by my “quick and dirty tally” comment; nothing more nothing less. It has absolutely nothing to do with my career pursuits, estimating billable hours, but whatever floats your boat. Though good analogy, you pegged it.
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #53 of 178
Why would one estimate an average? With that method, an error in the estimate is literally multiplied more than a hundred times over.

It's easier to estimate how much I've spent on my collection, double that, then add dozens of sub-$200 headphones to it. And that gets to something that means you've overestimated the amount by more than 20%.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #54 of 178
blink.gif
blink.gif

Having that many headphones deserves a museum-style display! I know if I had that many, I would put them in stands behind glass cases, and charge for tours!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #56 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would one estimate an average? With that method, an error in the estimate is literally multiplied more than a hundred times over.

It's easier to estimate how much I've spent on my collection, double that, then add dozens of sub-$200 headphones to it. And that gets to something that means you've overestimated the amount by more than 20%.

Best regards,

-Jason

Did so for mere simplicity and not wanting to expend more time than a few minutes. That's why I called it "quick and dirty." I don’t know how much you’ve spent on headphones or what you’ve got in your headphone collection beyond possible a few.
tongue.gif

Are you basing your estimate off your purchase price, current market value or a rare score well below the normal asking price?

I don’t know the market as well as some, but think those rare and discontinued headphones listed are probably somewhere in the $16,000 neighborhood, especially if in very good condition and with original packaging. I suppose it depends what a buyer is willing to spend to get the R10s, 010, L3000s, PS-1, HP-1/2 etc… So I figured if I knocked off those high priced headphones, the rest might fall around $325 range give or take…

It’s not uncommon that professional appraisals may vary within 10 to 20 %, if not a bit more. But based on your opinion my quick and dirt estimate over shot the mark. If he lost the entire collection, how much do you think it would cost to make him whole again or specifically replace everything?

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #57 of 178
guys guys, here's the REAL "quick and dirty" tally.

*peers at profile*

*ponders*

*states the following:

"That's a ****take load of cans."*

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #59 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys guys, here's the REAL "quick and dirty" tally.

*peers at profile*

*ponders*

*states the following:

"That's a ****take load of cans."*

smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is starting to take on a "less-than-kind" tone. Let's not lose site of why we were all drawn to the thread. That is one serious collection-o-cans! 'Nuff-said!
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #60 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here’ a really quick and dirty tally… he's got about 125 cans at an average price of $450 = $56, 250 USD. If you think the average would be higher due to such headphones as the R10s, 010, L3000s, HP-1/2, PS-1, K-1000s etc… then increase the average to $550. Tally would be $68,750.
blink.gif

I don't see a huge deal in this. Many speaker setups cost much more than this, and if he has the extra money to support his archive, I don't see why anyone cares to look at him in poor light. There are "weird" people everywhere who do "weird" things, who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back