My headphone collection featured in Steve Guttenberg's blog
Jul 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 54
Am I the only one who thinks the traveling every summer exploring the US and Canada is even cooler than the collection?  Right on Wayne I bet you have a lot of fun out there.  I've done a lot of exploring around this country too, been to all 50 states.  Though I sleep in the back of my subaru and eat nothing but PB&J's. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #32 of 54
I also thought it was the actor Steve Guttenberg. When I clicked on the link I was amazed that he had started writing his own audio blog. Well, that probably shows that I am not audiophile enough...

It seems this Steve has been connected to the movies in some way: "Ex-movie theater projectionist Steve Guttenberg/.../"

Amazing collection by the way! I mostly use headphone on the go, so I prefer portable ones. I have become caught up in buying headphones since joining this place. The ATH-ES7 and Pioneer SE-EX9 clip-on phones were bought after reading threads posted here. I have got what I need, though, so after buying Yuin G2A, Sennheiser MX580 and MX760 I will be done! At least for a while...

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 54

Quote:
Nice, Wayne!  Always good to see headphones get mainstream audio press coverage.  And seeing your collection will hopefully make some speaker-only audiophiles take note
L3000.gif

Ya, that's pretty much why I agreed to do it.  It was a bit awkward to be singled out like that, but a lot of speaker-based audiophiles follow Steve's blog and if just a handful of them take note, it will have been a good public service announcement for the headphone community.  

As for the 'collection', that was never really my intention, but I really do love many different headphone and amp combinations, so I'd have a hard time ever selling most of them.  I guess over time I've gradually admitted that I'm a 'keeper of the phones' just like Joelongwood and so many other folks around here are.  

Steve thought that the blog entry would probably get more hits and thus gather more traction if we threw an insane number out (so long as it could be justified).  I had never actually tallied it all up, but figured that $50k was about right when considering all of the headphones, amps, sources, racks, etc.  I've since done the math, and the headphones alone nearly cover that!  

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #34 of 54

Quote:
Nice one!  I gathered you had a lot of headphones, but didn't realise just how many. Is there a high-res version of that picture anywhere? 

I'm on the road this summer, so I couldn't get back to Cayman to take a current pic.  The grainy one posted in the blog is several years old.  Several new headphones and amps have been added since then.  I'll have to take an updated, high res, pic when I get back home. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #35 of 54

Quote:
Nice setup! So you're from the Caymans i have have a family at Brac and usually Dive in Little Cayman, love the local
Barefoot man!

You should look me up the next time you come to Cayman.  I don't get over to the Brac or Little Cayman often, but I love them both!  

The Barefoot Man is a local legend, and a really down to Earth guy.  I once sat behind him on a Cayman Airways flight to Ft. Lauderdale several years ago but didn't realize it at the time.  This was before my iPod days.  I got very frustrated at the airport in Cayman after checking in for my flight only to realize that I had brought along a portable CD player, but left my CD case at home.  So I rushed into the gift shop and bought my first (and only) Barefoot Man CD.  That's about all they had in there.  It was a double album, recorded live in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach.  I listened to the first disc on the flight, and really got into it.  Then the plane landed, and George stands up just two rows in front of me!  We had a good laugh about it, and he then signed the CD while we were waiting in line for US immigration.  Suffice it to say, Cayman is a small place.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #36 of 54
Thankfully I am not that rich to buy that much audio gear for I would not be able to control my self. It is one cool collection though.

It is surprising though how much you can find without breaking the bank if you know just where to look. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #37 of 54
Wow, over 50K on headphones.. that is some sweet gear :)

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #39 of 54
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #40 of 54
"McManus bought a motor home three years ago, and now spends every April through August exploring the U.S. and Canada. He's semiretired and takes a small selection of headphones with him on the road."

I want your life.  Only 40 more years til retirement...

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #43 of 54
Nice writeup.  I used to be one of those 'speakers only' guys.  But I use headphones a lot more now and really enjoy them.  This site has been an invaluable resource. 

Btw, that is great you get to travel so much.  

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #44 of 54

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the traveling every summer exploring the US and Canada is cooler than the collection?  Right on Wayne I bet you have a lot of fun out there.  I've done a lot of exploring around this country too, been to all 50 states.  Though I sleep in the back of my subaru and eat nothing but PB&J's. 
biggrin.gif

Quite a bit less swanky than Mr. McManus' big rig, IIRC. Unfortunately I can't find those pictures again...

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:
When you said Steve Guttenburg I thought you meant the guy from the Police Acedmy movies lol, I think you still need a pair of Ultrasone Hfi-2400's though Just kidding, thats a heck of a collection you got there.

Me too, man!  I was like 'whoa, I never knew officer Mahoney was an audiophile!'

Nice collection, Wayne.  Your picture gives me something to strive for.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back