My head hurts when listening to anything Digital
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 47
How many of you people who are getting headaches also get headaches with XM/Sirius?

How many of you people who are getting headaches also get headaches with FM radio?

How many of you also get headaches when listening to digitally sourced vinyl?

How many of you people who are getting headaches also get headaches with TV audio?

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #32 of 47
As much as I perfer vinyl over digital recorded music, I don't think that's your problem! Try turning the Vol. down and take 2 ADVIL and as others have said, I'd go see a doctor.JMO...

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that you can't play 24/96 recordings using a computer? I do so with my Mac here. They're flac files from HDTracks.com.

Of course I'm not saying that. HdTracks is a great resource.
bigsmile_face.gif
Not even saying that computers can't be good but it takes some effort, associated bits and care to make them so.
If you have a better interface than most usb tos and a good dac, try converting a track to wav and see if you hear a dif instead of taking everybody's word for it. There's more to this than bit perfect.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 47
My iMac send optical digital signal to my Ultra Desktop Amp/DAC. Great setup. Can't say that I've tried comparing wav to flac or ALAC, and I do agree that it's more than just bit perfect transmission, but also perfectly timed transmission of a stream of bits. Messing up the latter is where all the fuss lies, it would seem.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed the above in your signature. Does the problem worsen depending how drunk or sober you are? The alcohol could be throwing your circadian rhythms off so that they are no longer in sync with the digital clock on your audio source.

Ok ok ok ok ok, and ok!

I challenge you to a Jack Daniels drinking match. We drink until one of us blacks out.
bigsmile_face.gif

Ok well the crossfeed works well on foobar so my head doesn't hurt anymore.
icon10.gif

I'm still waiting on my receiver to be return to me from the audio shop. :p

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #36 of 47
yes, from your explanations it was dead obvious to me that crossfeed was your problem...I also had problems w/o it
wink.gif

and get a better source while you're at it, the Musiland is pretty meh IMO.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, from your explanations it was dead obvious to me that crossfeed was your problem...I also had problems w/o it
wink.gif

and get a better source while you're at it, the Musiland is pretty meh IMO.

I'm planning to get a DACI for the Xbox and maybe for the computer. I'm perfectly fine with my Musiland. I don't want to invest too much into digital since I prefer analog sources.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 47
well, it's easy to blame digital audio when it goes through a crappy OP275 opamp....you could keep the musiland as an S/PDIF transport and feed it into a DAC w/ tubes or swappable opamps....and put something nice like some AD797 opamps: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/

then add VNoPhones(set to 0.3ms/9%) on top, and you won't complain about digital audio so much anymore IMHO.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #40 of 47
yes, I'm entirely willing to believe that
smily_headphones1.gif

what I'm saying is that you prolly prefer analog because the sound is just warmer and more enjoyable to listen to, right? like bass seems more natural and mellow, mids seem less agressive and trebles seem far clearer and less shrill?

I've heard the 02US...if you check the link I posted above, see what majkel says about AD797, or read what ppl say about the Burson products...they say "the way solid state was supposed to sound", and majkel calls the OP275 "mediocre at best".

you can get very analog-sounding audio out of a PC, using tubes/discrete opamps or AD797B opamps...try it sometime, you might change your mind towards those nasty mp3's playing from a crappy soundblaster
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well lee once again I don't have any problems anymore since I put on the crossfeed. I guess I'm not sensitive to sound as you are.

Crossfeed worked for me as well (plus broadended the soundstage which was an added bonus as well)

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 47
i was getting bad headaches when i first started piecing together my system. I was using cheap components, one of which was a $50 external equalizer. one day i got curious at took it out of the loop and instantly no more headaches. This equalizer was not emitting any audible noise, but i get the feeling it was emitting noise out of my hearing range that was causing the headache... or maybe radiation... it sounds sillly saying it but its certainly possible. I get an instant headache ever time i put my cell phone close to my ear. Turns out i have the cell phone rated highest for radiation output.

also, i followed the how to equalize your headphones thread on this fourm and found the fatigue and headache reduced even more.

some more speculation, but maybe just making the adjustment from a sound you are used to to a sound youre not used to is causing the headache... kind of like working a muscle you havent worked in a while

well... then theres the booze ...
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #43 of 47
It's called digititis. And the cure is this:

2969189249_29067e35f5.jpg

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called digititis. And the cure is this:

2969189249_29067e35f5.jpg

Good tube amp for speakers in the Sub-$1000 range (or a beginner level amp)?

Axpona was an eye opener for me. IMO the tube amps were better than the SS amps; they just sound more natural. The only CD player at the expo that didn't give make my head hurt was the Emotiva CD player.

So yeah, in the future tubes.....................

Looking at the BAT and VAC stuff was drooling........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back