My head hurts when listening to anything Digital
Feb 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 47
I feel your pain - literally! I found the higher up the food-chain I go equipment-wise, the worse it gets - as the ability of the equipment to resolve the detail in digital source gets better and better, it sounds less and less 'nice'. Specifically regarding DACs, it doesn't seem to matter what manufacturers / reviewers say about how 'natural' sounding, or 'refined' or 'not harsh' DAC x, y or z is - it's all comparative, and they are wrong. It's a bit like saying that Killimanjaro is sooo much better ( lower ) than Everest. It's still freeeking high! If you know what I mean.

Anyway, digital isn't going away, so I'm determined to configure my rig to counter the effects. So far - FLAC into NOS DAC into hybrid tube amp and AKG K340's / HD 600's on the other end. Copper-core interconnects everywhere. Definately better than it was, although some recordings are still unlistenable - although thats as much to do with terrible mastering as anything else.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean you do not use your headphones with your turntable?

I do use my headphones when using the turntable as well. My head never hurts when running analog.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel your pain - literally! I found the higher up the food-chain I go equipment-wise, the worse it gets - as the ability of the equipment to resolve the detail in digital source gets better and better, it sounds less and less 'nice'. Specifically regarding DACs, it doesn't seem to matter what manufacturers / reviewers say about how 'natural' sounding, or 'refined' or 'not harsh' DAC x, y or z is - it's all comparative, and they are wrong. It's a bit like saying that Killimanjaro is sooo much better ( lower ) than Everest. It's still freeeking high! If you know what I mean.

A profound comment here that's not commonly seen around here. I think I definitely agree with you. I haven't started having headaches, but my interest in further detail is not there. I just wish for optimum balance and tonality.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 47
I also was getting mild headaches when listening with headphones for 30+ minutes - especially as the music got more detailed or had a more separated/panned mix. I added a passive crossfeed ckt and now that's no longer a problem.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #22 of 47
you're getting headaches because there's something wrong with your brain, nothing to do with digital, go and see a doctor you may have brain cancer or be dehydrated.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer audio is a noisy, jitter filled medium...

Troll alert!

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Computer audio is a noisy, jitter filled medium.

especially on the Musiland 02US w/ its cheapo OP275 opamps and nasty SMPS that's completely polluting the inside of its case...oops, did I just say that
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Troll alert!

Because we don't agree? Different side of the same coin. I was recommending ways to make his computer perform better, not dump it. If you ever heard good 24/96 recordings, you'd understand that 16 bit is limited in any form. Doesn't mean it's not a viable source or that analog TTs aren't all over the place too but welcome the good digital and don't just settle. Bit perfect is the call of those that need reassuring.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My head hurts when listening to anything digital ... Any idea what should I do?

The quality is too high for you. You can reduce the quality by re-encoding at 128 kbps or less. You should probably also introduce some pops and clicks (and a little background hiss) using a vinyl effects audio filter available in programs like Audacity. That should fix ya right up.
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so damn drunk when I type every post.

I just noticed the above in your signature. Does the problem worsen depending how drunk or sober you are? The alcohol could be throwing your circadian rhythms off so that they are no longer in sync with the digital clock on your audio source.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Because we don't agree? Different side of the same coin. I was recommending ways to make his computer perform better, not dump it. If you ever heard good 24/96 recordings, you'd understand that 16 bit is limited in any form. Doesn't mean it's not a viable source or that analog TTs aren't all over the place too but welcome the good digital and don't just settle. Bit perfect is the call of those that need reassuring.

Are you saying that you can't play 24/96 recordings using a computer? I do so with my Mac here. They're flac files from HDTracks.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back