My glowing PPA!
Jan 13, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 56
How are you listening? There are no output wires hooked up!

600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #32 of 56
^ ya they are, they'r covered with heatshrink

do i smell shiny, radio shack heat shink tubes?
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er

do i smell shiny, radio shack heat shink tubes?
biggrin.gif

Boy it does stink doesn't it?
wink.gif

Not radio shack, but yes... there's some shiny cheap stuff, and some good 3-1 stuff. I didn't have all the sizes I needed of the good stuff so I made do.

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by ITZBITZ
How are you listening? There are no output wires hooked up!
600smile.gif

Must be a spiritual connection... very transparent indeed.

I am thinking he wired from the underside. I like to do that myself, but especially with the output from the PPA. Too much happening on the topside with the buffers and C1s there.

Whole lotta light coming from two LEDs, wooderson. Wow.

Maybe rig up another pair of low-power diffused blue LEDs to the unused contacts on your relay. When you switch the amp off, the dim blue LEDs come on... standby mode
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #35 of 56
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!

Someone finally used the Bulgin Switch. I was thinking of doing that, but now you've done it.

I wish there was a simple, compact, off the shelf way of making that switch a toggle.

That switch need alot of power to illuminate, doesn't it?
wink.gif

I'd stay away from Newark, folks, they hide their shipping costs and ream you.

-Ed

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I'd stay away from Newark, folks, they hide their shipping costs and ream you.
-Ed

Off-topic sidebar:

It depends what you buy and how you ship it. I received orders last week from Newark, Digikey, and Mouser. Similar weight, although the Newark order was massive in it's packaging, as usual. The shipping on the newark order was $7.75 or so for 2-day (their default is 2-day at ground rate), Mouser was about $6.50 for three day.

But the difference was in the parts cost: I bought several different transistors from Newark that ran anywhere from $0.07 each up to $1.20 each. These same transistors from Mouser ranged from $0.58 each to $3.47 each. And I needed around 25 to 50 of the lesser expensive ones, and 12 each of the more expensive ones. So, I'd have been hosed completely if I had just tacked them onto the Mouser order. Even paying another full shipping charge (versus the difference only) was well worth it, as I'd have spent an extra $30+ at Mouser for the same thing... in stock.

I like Mouser very much, but you have to check around on these things each time, or you will get hosed coming and going. Buyer beware applies to all of these guys. Same with Digikey vs Newark. I think Digikey is the best value for shipping if you have $25+ in parts, but their price on hexfreds is ridiculous compared to Newark, for example.

Sorry to go off topic, but it can be a big deal, even on a relatively small order.

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 56
Just beautiful, Wooderson! Awesome job.

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #38 of 56
Very nicely done.
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be ultra cool if the leds got brighter as the volume was increased.

Quote:

Sorry to go off topic, but it can be a big deal, even on a relatively small order.

Good point Mark.
I just did the same thing and saved a nice little chunk of cash in the process. The key point to remember with Newark is to stick to the default shipping method. I placed a oreder before Christmas and thought I was being smart by using Fedex.
The 16$ shipping fee was a eye opener to be sure.

Jan 13, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 56
Very nice amp, Wooderson. Now you've got me thinking about doing something similar on mine. I love the illuminated momentary switch used with relays. I can imagine it gives you that professional feel to press the button, and hear those relays snap.

What did you think of the Velleman kit?
I'm interested in the Velleman kit, but am little ignorant of what transformer to use to get a plain 24V.

Which transformer did you use, and where did you get it?

BPRJam

Jan 13, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 56
if you use a proper flip flop (7474, 74175) you can run an extra diode and transistor off the Q-bar output for a standby LED, nice and easy! Or parallel an LED with the relay transistor with a resistor above it...

g

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

what's the part number of the Velleman PS?

K1823. I benchmarked it against several other common linear supplies, including my own, on the TEPS page. For the price, it's a reasonable performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back