My glowing PPA!
Jan 12, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
Sov,

Ops, sorry, It is not hard to imagine that after having this beauty in front of you, you forget even to read waht is below...LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The good thing about those PAR cases is the space, the will be pretty ventilate inside....

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #17 of 56
Beautiful amp, Wooderson!

What kind of circuit are you using to make the momentary switch work? Relays? Flip-flops?

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #19 of 56
Thanks for the info! I'm in awe of your work -- it's tremendous. Like Tangent, I'd be interested in knowing more about how you made the momentary switch work. If the circuit isn't too complicated, I'd *love* a schematic.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #20 of 56
Great job Wooderson!

Damn, my alu/woody PPA now looks so cheesy in comparison...
wink.gif

Can we see the inside? I would like to know how many blue LEDs is used and how are they positioned.

Jan 12, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #21 of 56
Holly Crap fellas! Thanks!

So you want me to lift the shirt off my baby? Well, OK then!
I wish I could tell you the inside looks as good as the outside, but until I get the software and etching process figured out (never done it before), the switch circuit will have to live on it's current ratshack perf-board. I'll see if I can get some pics up in the next day or so.

The switch circuit is one several of the guys over at diyaudio.com are using to power up their Pass Aleph's. I figured if it worked for them, it sure ought to work for a PPA. The downside is that I had to add a seperate transformer just for this circuit to power the relay(s). The schematic is below:
momentary power switching circuit.gif

The original page can be found here.

And yes, there are a pair of 2600mcd LEDs mounted in the front center on a piece of perf-board. They are bent towards the vents on each side. The C1's of the PPA get in the way a little on the right, but not too bad.

But I 'spose a couple of pics would answer most of this.

Again, much thanks! I will post pics as soon as I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #22 of 56
Niiice job Wooderson! You did well with the Bulgin switch indeed! Looking forward to your topless shots.

How do you like the sound? Also, how much bias have you settled on for your OPAs? I like the trimmer tweak a lot.

Nice pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 56
DAMN IT!!!!! Everything I was going to do in my PPA has now been done, so annoying...

anyways, lovely work wooderson! You got a nice drill rig to do all the drilling, it looks very clean!

g

edit: lol, read the whole damn post!!

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 56
Ah, relays and flip-flops.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, sort of. The 4069 is a 6-channel inverter configured as a kind of flip-flop. No matter what, it's stable, driving that transistor with either logic 1 or 0, and the switch toggles this. Neat little circuit.

Jan 12, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
DAMN IT!!!!! Everything I was going to do in my PPA has now been done, so annoying...

You could always try cold-cathode lighting or putting some radiation symbols or something on the case. That would be very PC-case-modz0r of you. I don't think that's been done.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by ITZBITZ
You could always try cold-cathode lighting or putting some radiation symbols or something on the case. That would be very PC-case-modz0r of you. I don't think that's been done.
wink.gif

lol, it's just sour grapes. I've got all the boards etched, laid it all on paper yesterday and then this! Wasn't going to go glowing, though!

Peace, and congrats once again again on a stunning and very original amp!! (
rolleyes.gif
)

g

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 56
Heatpipe cooling of your buffers would be swanky. You could have a hotplate on the rear panel. All hope is not yet lost!

I am still several weeks away from doing the heatpipe thing...
wink.gif

(believe me, I am definitely kidding on that)

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 56
I considered the cold-cathode light for a little bit, but wasn't sure if they put off noise like flourescents. I'm assuming they are different enough that it wouldn't be a problem, but I could really be wrong here.

Someone could build one in a vertical case of some sort (tall & skinny). I considered this too, but never saw anything that looked cool enough to try.

Heatpipes? Aww heck... how about someone making a clear plexiglass case and then going for some direct flourocarbon liquid cooling or something. You could raise all the caps off the board a little and then have a small pump push fluid straight across the board! Actually, if you did a vertical arrangement of the PPA, it would look pretty cool to have the fluid flowing down the board like a waterfall. Oh well... completely unnecessary I suppose.

Guzzler: if you've got a similar circuit for the switch all ready to etch, your way ahead of me. BTW my holes were all done with a Unibit.

Voodoochile: I love the way this sounds. It's just the music... nothing else. Don't really know how else to describe it. I biased the op-amps per Tangent's guide and set it for 1ma across R9. I haven't played around with any different settings yet. Any advice here?

Seriously though... I'm flattered that you guys like this as much as me. The amps I've seen all of you guys make sort of inspired me to build this one. So thanks to all of you!

I'll try to get the nudie-pics up yet tonight.

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
Wow, Id like to see what you have done to your PC, if anything.
biggrin.gif

I assure you my PC is pretty darn boring... not so much as even a window.

I think some of the PC modding is pretty cool. But I just can't get motivated to put that much work into something I'm going to replace in a year or two anyway.

OK... here's the nudies everyone has requested.
As you can see... there's some pretty flagrant wasting of space on the board for the switch circuit. The trans in the back left is the one that powers the circuit. The circuit in turn controls the power to the torroid. I went with two single pole relays... you could just as easily use one double-pole relay instead.

My hope is to be able to combine the switch circuit transformer and the switch circuit itself on the same board, then I can move the torroid and Velleman closer together. But I'm just having fun listening right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_1576.sized.jpg

IMG_1573.sized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back