My glowing PPA!
Jan 12, 2004 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Wooderson

New Head-Fier
I just finished casing up my PPA and I love the way it looks (and sounds!) so much... I just had to share it with the rest of you.

It's a pretty standard PPA, 627/637 combination. I added three Bourns trimmers to bias the opamps into class-a (thanks Doobooloo). There's a Velleman based power supply inside. I liked the look of the PPA Voodoochile made for Sovkiller so much that I used it as a model for mine.

This is really only my second project, but I'm suprised at how well it went together. I loved every second of it.

I wanted the power switch on the front, and most of the switches I found that were mains rated looked kinda like they should really be put on the back. The cool looking ones were usually only momentary, and had lousy contact ratings.

I decided after building such a nice amp, it was worth the extra effort to make the momentary switch work. I ended up building another circuit to use this illuminated Bulgin switch. I went ahead and added a pair of bright blue LEDs inside to "pimp-it-out" a little while I was at it.

Anyway... here's some pics. Hope you enjoy them!

IMG_1554.sized.jpg

IMG_1561.sized.jpg

IMG_1560.sized.jpg

Jan 12, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 56
Beautiful. Love the case and that lighted Bulgin switch. Where did you find that case? I need one. I want to get rid of those ugly Hammond cases and combine my PPA and its power supply under one roof.

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 56
Terrific work! Where did you get that switch? Can you share the part number for it? Also, did you order a custom 17-inch wide case from Par-Metals, or did you just you with their standard 16-inch one?

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 56
Thanks for the kind comments!

Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari

Wanna sell??
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL

Given your avatar, maybe I should ask for... say... one MILLION dollars!
biggrin.gif

GWN: The case is a Par-Metal case. It's the 20 series. You can get it in a number of finishes. There's a link in the Sticky: DIY Links Resource

Wodgy: I picked up the switch from Newark. The part number WAS: 91C6844. But I notice it does not show up there now. Allied has it... Part #: 566-0002. Bulgin's site is here.

The case I used is 12" x 8" x 2". Big enough for what I had to put in it. I did think about making it match the rest of my components, but I thought the front would look pretty bare if it was that wide.

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 56
That is some great craftsmanship there. Excellent job.

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 56
Nice job man...Very nice looking amp, shame I didn't know about those switches before....I would like one, I just placed mine on the back as nothing was decent enough to be on the front, but those man, you killed me...LOL...!!!!! Great job....very nice indeed...

BTW mine right now looks very similar, no glowing inside, but the outside is all silver, I sanded and buffed it, ordered some stainless steel button head bolts, instead of the original socket heads, and ordered also a new front panel from FPE, that looks pretty nice, all countersunk, and with all the proper engravings, it looks like a vintage amp (to me al least, LOL) as soon as I finish it, I will post some pics....

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 56
how did you get the glow on the right side, on the left I could imagine that is from the switch, but on the right side...????

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 56
Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful! Congrats on a fine piece of work!!

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 56
Sov,

Quote:

I went ahead and added a pair of bright blue LEDs inside to "pimp-it-out" a little while I was at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back