My full sized closed headphone nightmare
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

campj

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for good circumaural full sized closed headphones for portable use with a budget up to about $600 for quite some time now... as in almost daily for months. The problem is that whenever I am seriously interested in a pair, I read about a glaring flaw that prevents me from buying them. Below are a few examples:

Yamaha Pro 500: headband and earcup comfort
Sony MDR-7520: pads are too shallow creating comfort issues
Sennheiser HD8 DJ: too bass heavy, unbalanced sound
Focal One Pro: cups too small creating comfort issues
Shure 1540: price/performance ratio doesn't seem up to par, boomy bass
Yamaha PHP-MT220: coiled non-detachable cable
Beyerdynamic T70p: too bright
AKG K550: fit issues, butt ugly

I could keep going, but I think EIGHT examples is plenty enough. Does anyone happen to know about a miracle headphone that I haven't read about? I want solid construction, true circumaural design with good comfort, and a balanced, detailed sound signature (I have DT770 and have concluded after several months of use that they sound terrible. They are horribly shrill and artificial sounding).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am so tired of looking for headphones. I have a couple pairs of open headphones that I love, and it wasn't nearly this hard to determine I'd like them without hearing them (HD600, K712).

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 28
  Denon/Fostex
Audio-Technica
Ultrasone

The only brand I haven't looked into out of the above listed is A-T. Is there a specific model I should be looking at? Please keep in mind, ATH-M50 is a tier or two below most headphones I'm looking into ($300-$600 range with sound that reflects the price).

Here are some thoughts on the other brands you suggested:

Fostex: It seems that the current Fostex offerings are beyond my price range and aren't suitable for portable use. Comfort and sound signature seem great though.

Denon: The DX000 line is discontinued and doesn't isolate well. I have read a lot of negative comments about the poor quality sound of the only current Denon offering that interested me, the AH-D600. Am I missing a model that I should be looking at?

Ultrasone: I had HFI 2400 and ended up selling them in one month. The highs were absolutely piercing and the headband left a painful pink spot on the top of my head after an hour's use. The only Ultrasones I'd consider are ridiculously priced (Signature line).

Thanks for the advice.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 28
I have some Fostex T50RP and they're too big for portable use. Alpha Dogs look bigger, so nah.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 28
Ah I saw the K550 and SRH1540 on your list, so I didn't realize you were looking for portable headphones.
I was referring to AT-woodies or the Art Monitor series.

What about the Fostex TH600? It's slightly above your price range but I think you can find it under $700.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 28
Yeah, kind of full sized to use on planes and stuff. I have Senn Amperiors as true portable bang around headphones, so I'm set there.

I was almost going to buy the TH600... everything about them looks great except that they don't isolate well at all, and the cable is a few hundred feet long. Or something like that. I'll look into the Art Monitor series. thanks for the tip.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this predicament.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 28
At least for me, the Denons(D2000)isolated well enough, assuming the TH600 is more or less the same I wouldn't think it'd be an issue. Otherwise you may be best fit getting into some custom IEMs for closed in your price range.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 28

2 Yamaha Pro 500: headband and earcup comfort
2 Sony MDR-7520: pads are too shallow creating comfort issues
1 Sennheiser HD8 DJ: too bass heavy, unbalanced sound
2 Focal One Pro: cups too small creating comfort issues
1 Shure 1540: price/performance ratio doesn't seem up to par, boomy bass
Yamaha PHP-MT220: coiled non-detachable cable
1 Beyerdynamic T70p: too bright
2 AKG K550: fit issues, butt ugly

Let me try to work with your list.

1. Eliminate sound-based problems.
2. Eliminate fit-based problems.

Buy PHP-MT220 and mail it to Brian at BTG Audio to mod a removable cable. Now. Stop thinking about it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 28
I read about a glaring flaw that prevents me from buying them.

Just because you read about a flaw, does not mean that YOU will find that flaw to be bothersome.

You need to listen to the possibilities your self and find out what you like, dislike, value and do not care about.

Also there is no such thing as a flawless headphone. Even the HE-90 has weaknesses.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 28
If you own Amperiors and are ok with the comfort, I think you can ignore any comfort complaints for other headphones.  The Amperiors are the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn.  Period.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 28
  AKG K550: fit issues, butt ugly

What's butt ugly about it? It looks clean and neat - flat surface headband (instead of AKG's studio cans with dual plastic bands), cups are flat on the back instead of bulbuously round so you don't get the Super Sentai look. It's kind of like an older BMW (or Audi) before the gimmicky LED headlights and Chris Bangle 'Murrica/bald eagle-eyed 5-series (and the hideous coffin trunk on the 7-series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back