My first serious cans: Beyers DT 770/80
Nov 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Proglover

Progressiveus Drummeus
Greetings from the Netherlands and excuses for maybe a bit odd usage of language. Thats because this isn't my native language...

After searching for my first good headphone, reading for hours and hours on the head-fi forums, I made my choice(s). They're 85% based on head-fi, the other 15 on a Dutch forum for drumplayers in threads like 'ideal cans for playing on your electronic drumkit'.

I'm 31, loved audio and recording quality for most of my life but for some strange reason never before got myself a pair of good cans. I love to listen rock, progrock, metal, country-rock and acoustic singer-songwriters music.

I was searching for a closed design headphone for listening at home plus to play the drums with my Roland e-kit. Along with that purchase, I was searching for a more portable, as small as possible (but not in ear), pair of cans to use outside home. For that I was looking for an noticable upgrade from the Sennheisers px100 and Koss KSC75.....

....and then, yesterday, as birthday presents from my lovely wife, I got them:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm version)
AKG K450.

I love my wife, but yesterday night I was in love with something else, the DT 770's!

I was troubled before with thoughts like 'Am I going to hear difference?' 'Is this really going to upgrade my listening-to-music experiences?' Man, those doubts went away in a blink of an eye, once I layed back and started listening.

I was prepared, got a couple of records I know well and think to have good sound quality. 
I started with one of my favourites, musical-wise as well as sound quality wise:

The Who - Tommy (remastered)
The first experience was 'man, the gitarist is standing next to me'. I always loved Keith's playing on this record, to hear it with this cans, was a bit breathtaking to me.
I almost listened the complete cd, sometimes switching to the AKG K450, to very quickly switch back to the Beyer (yes, it's a very big difference offcourse, although to some extend more detail is hearable with the AKG's).
Most breathtaking was 'Pinball Wizard'. That intro, man, to hear this with this quality is to discover this song again for the first time.

U2 - The Joshua Tree
If I were to go to a deserted island and bring along 3 records, without a doubt this record would go along. I grew up with these unbelievable melodies.

I can't really deside what to think about this record along with the Beyers. Adam Clayton's base is sounding beautiful, as expected from this headphone, but overall I was a little bit dissapointed after the breathtaking Tommy experience.

Porcupine Tree - Fear for a Blank Planet
Ok, now I wanna know it, how will they go with this kind of gitars, rock.

Not bad, but not very great also, to be honest. This bands 'magnus opus' on my opinion, the song 'Anesthetize' is very loved by me because of the fantastic drum playing, along with sound quality, especially in term of the dynamics of the tom's. To hear that on my B&W 601 speakers with Marantz SR4001 receiver, I'ts perceived by me as one of the most fantastic hearing experiences I can get with my speakers.
While I generally prefer to listen to headphones to be honest, this song, this record in general, I prefer the speakers.

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Ok, we're there again, breathtaking, this actually brought tears in my eyes.
These cans are made for this record, to me they seem to at least. Man, to end the night with the Eagles. The Eagles' music was with me as long as I listen to music, I laughed with their music, cried with it, felt alone, was stoned, in love, heartbroken etc.

To hear them with these headphones, Hotel California, Take it Easy, Desperado, In the City, fantastic. Again as with The Who, the gitars are like they're next to me in the room. Absolutely fantastic.

And then, sleepy time. The DT770's lost their virginity with me, we will be spending hours and hours in the future I guess. But this first experience I wanted to capture. So I guess this is my way doing this. To share it on head-fi, in my newbie kind-of-way. Childish enthusiastic, lol.

I chose these can's while reading this forum, and I'm very glad to haven chosen them.
It tastes for more. Already thinking about my next phone.

I'm a metal/progrock lover also, and I love to buy a set of cans to go along with this kind of music. I was thinking about the Allessandro MS-1, Grado SR-60 or Grado SR-80.
If there are people actually completely reading this way too long post, and like to comment on that to be taken choice, ther're most welcome to!

Also, recommendations for cd's to go along with these cans are welcome too:)

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 21
Glad you like them! I was also amazed when i upgraded to the DT770 Pro 250Ohms from my SRH750DJ ...Have fun with them
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 21
I agree that DT770/80 is really damn great
biggrin.gif

actually I'm not a person who like big bass nor close headphone, but I have to make exception for DT770/80 
tongue.gif

they sound laidback and smooth which is good for long listening, has good bass, yeah it's not type of tight bass, but it's so fun and really not disturb the mid and high area. It's just like the singer stand above the subwoofer, and the bass only sound near his leg
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 21
I love my DT770s. They're my favorite headphone out of the ones I own.

I have Grado SR-80i, and while they're an excellent headphone for $100, I think you could find better headphones for a little more. I also own the AKG K240, and they're superior in just about every way to the Grado. 

If I were you I'd stick with the DT770s for awhile and really get used to their sound. Then you'll appreciate the newer headphone even more.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
I love my DT770s. They're my favorite headphone out of the ones I own.

I have Grado SR-80i, and while they're an excellent headphone for $100, I think you could find better headphones for a little more. I also own the AKG K240, and they're superior in just about every way to the Grado. 

If I were you I'd stick with the DT770s for awhile and really get used to their sound. Then you'll appreciate the newer headphone even more.

You're right, I'm going to stick only with the DT770''s for a while for home usage. That extra headphone specifically for rock/metal will not be within weeks, maybe a couple of months. First I wanna experience this phone fully and see if I'm still enthusiasthic about this whole 'expensive headphone thing' after a while.

It seems I'm experiencing that certain headphones can maybe meet certain musical needs. I especially like gitars, acoustic or clean electric, with the DT770's at first hearing. I think I'm missing something with more of the heavy stuff, seems that the big advantages of this model don't lie there.

ps. here in Europe, the Grado SR-80 is 149,- euros! (I'f there's one thing to order from the US to Europe, it's a Grado/Allessandro purchase, pfff)
to compare: SR80i = 149 Euro
                  K240 = 95 Euro

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 21
From experience they will continue to sound better as they break in.
They also benefit from having plenty of power.
I too am enjoying this underappreciated headphone.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 21
True, these got 10-20 hours until now, so...

The power, I'm inexperienced with amp until now, I do have the 80 ohms version offcourse, but for ipod I use a LOD connector and a cheap FiiO E5.

Which amp do/did you use for the 770's bradley?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 21
For portable use the Headroom Total Airhead is pretty unbeatable at a price point of $100 US last I checked. Improvement in sound quality would come at a hefty increase in cost in my opinion. I have taken apart my Airhead and parts quality is great. Other nice features are a gain switch (the 80s like the high gain position) and a stereo blend function that makes lossy compressed sources more listenable. With this amp I find my limiting factor in sound quality is the DAC in my Cowon.

You'll likely find continued improvement in your cans through the 100+ hour point.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
For portable use the Headroom Total Airhead is pretty unbeatable at a price point of $100 US last I checked. Improvement in sound quality would come at a hefty increase in cost in my opinion. I have taken apart my Airhead and parts quality is great. Other nice features are a gain switch (the 80s like the high gain position) and a stereo blend function that makes lossy compressed sources more listenable. With this amp I find my limiting factor in sound quality is the DAC in my Cowon.

You'll likely find continued improvement in your cans through the 100+ hour point.

Could not agree more.  The Airhead/Bithead family is an awesome sounding little amp.  I use the Bithead and have owned the Airhead and they have great synergy with my DT990/250ohms.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Could not agree more.  The Airhead/Bithead family is an awesome sounding little amp.  I use the Bithead and have owned the Airhead and they have great synergy with my DT990/250ohms.

Quote:

Well, that's good advice, thanks:)
I was starting to look for an iBasso in Europe, but if experiences are better with Headroom Total Airhead....  

Am I understanding this correctly: the Airhead is for the portable use, but for 60 dollars more, you get the Bithead, which is exactly the same quality for ipod/portable use, but also for pc usage?

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 21
The amp sections are exactly the same and sound terrific.  The Airhead is only an amp while the Bithead adds a good little USB DAC.  The Bitheads DAC is noticeably better than an iPods signal, and even beats an iPods LOD signal.  The only advantage the Airhead offers over the Bithed is that on the Airhead, rather than a USB input, it has a power supply input.  This allows you to use the amp at home and not go through so many batteries.  

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
This allows you to use the amp at home and not go through so many batteries.  

The powering via USB makes up for that, I guess. At least for the way I would use it: portable-->ipod, at home-->desktop pc
Correct me if I'm wrong offcourse.

The big down for me is, I'm in Europe, I can't buy the HRT's from this side of the ocean, even an iBasso I can't find from here. Don't have a credit-card, no experience with pay pal yet.
Would really prefer to buy something from my regio, but then I'm stuck with Behringer, FiiO e7 or Icon Mobile. Except from quality, they don'y have the nice sound feature's bradley wrote about.

Hmmzz what to do.

If any Europeans know of online sellers in this area with possibilities, please be so kind to let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back