My first 'phones: ATH-SJ5 initial impressions... by a newbie
Feb 9, 2007 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DeadlySpoon

100+ Head-Fier
So, my brand spankin' new ATH-SJ5's came in the mail today! Huzzah!

Well, they actually came yesterday, but I was still sleeping when the delivery guy came... Stupid Canada Post coming at noon when everyone is still sleeping
eggosmile.gif

Anyway, I went to get them at the post office today. Shipping to Canada included, they cost me $65 USD from Audio Cubes. I ordered them last Wednesday, so all in all, 8 days is pretty fast, I think, when they're coming from Japan.

As I had to get my ass to class (where I'm writing this from... Labour Health and Safety Law isn't too fascinating), the only listening time I had with them was on the bus. Yes, I know, FAR from the best setting to review headphones in, but deal with it, noone else is writing anything about those so I'm all you have! MWA HA HA HA... alright enough of that. Seriously though, those are only first impressions and I'll modify them accordingly the more I listen to those.

Feel free to disregard these impressions/opinions, since my only references in the headphone world were crappy IEM's (namely, Koss Sparkplugs modded with Ety tips, and some low-grade Fontopia's).

First of all, you may wonder why I bought those 'phones. I mean, who's heard of them, right? Well, gather 'round, children. Here's the tale of the journey that led me to my SJ5's.

Wanting to enter the world of better portable audio, I started my search for a nice portable can. Being the noob that I am, I had almost no knowledge of the subject... and thought that only Sennheiser and Grado would be good candidates. I was almost decided on the Grado's, but then learned the difference between "open" and "closed" cans. The Grado's were no longer an option, as I planned on using my cans primarily in noisy or quiet (on the bus or in the library) environments, and couldn't let sound leak in or out. I was pretty set on the Senn HD280 Pro's by that point, but still decided to delve a bit deeper. After all, they looked a bit bulky, and since I was going to use them primarily on the go, I was concerned my Nano wouldn't be able to power them.

That's when I discovered Head-Fi.

Ouch.

I was tempted by quite a few things, but I read a thread somewhere comparing the K81 DJ's to the HD280 Pro's. Clearly, there was much love for the K81 DJ's, and one thread preferred them to the Senns I was looking at when it came to portable 'phones. Plus, they looked really sexy.

Then I saw another thread preferring the SJ5's to the K81 DJ's. After reading a glowing review on Audio Cubes, and another on some Japanese website (which, fortunately, was written in English), but mainly seeing they were cheaper, I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair.

Now, that's all fine and well, I hear you say... but what about the actual 'phones?

They're quite sexy.

That was my first thought. I was afraid they'd be too big, or that I'd look like a dork wearing them, but they actually look very good.

They're also REALLY comfortable. No clamping at all. The pads are pleather, yes... but still quite nice. Plus, they work pretty good as earmuffs! Anyone who's experienced a Canadian winter will be able to appreciate that. There was also some isolation, blocking out most of the bus' engine rumble, and the cackling of high school girls that were sitting next to me. Obviously not as good as the isolation I had from the Ety tips on my Koss Sparkplugs, but y'know, still decent.

The build seems solid, too, but it's pretty much all rigid plastic, except for a plastic-covered metal (probably aluminum or something like that) band at the top... That might prove problematic later on. The cable's a bit thin and looks somewhat fragile... but I'll probably give a shot at recabling them anyway.

But the sound...

My test tracks so far have been taken from OK Computer by Radiohead. I think it's a great album to test new 'phones on; it's probably the most detailed and layered album I've ever heard, and also one of my favourites.

I expected to gain a new appreciation for it with some semi-decent cans, but I litterally rediscovered some tracks.

Karma Police, Paranoid Androidand Subterranean Homesick Alien, in particular, were awesome. They sounded really detailed, but at the same time... together. It's hard to explain, especially as I'm new to this whole review thing, but it was a very "cozy" experience; the soundstage was big, but not too big, almost like a small concert venue; the bass wasn't overpowering, the mids were nice, Thom Yorke's high-pitched falsettos and Jonny Greenwood's solos came through big time, but nothing was really separate from the rest. "Cohesion" is what I'm trying to describe, I guess. Individuality but unity at the same time.

It's not without flaws, however... sometimes, with particularly high (or low) notes, I heard some sort of static-y sound... which wasn't omnipresent, at all, but it still ticked me off when I heard it. It might be a burn-in issue, or maybe it's because of the compression to MP3, but it was noticeable at times and unenjoyable. I'll burn them in with some pink noise tonight and over the weekend, and try them out with some FLAC or WAV files before making a final judgement on this... But out of the box and with MP3 files, that's something not so good about these 'phones.

Anyway, here's my numbered ratings. These are in no way objective, and are more relative to my expectations.

Appearance: 8.5/10
Build: 7/10
Comfort: 8.5/10
Sound: 7.5/10

Overall: 8/10

All in all, a pretty good set of cans which I think I'll keep for a while... until I decide to buy some Grado's for when I'm at home
3000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 32
It's fantastic to read that you use this awesome CD to test your new cans. I also have the disc and I like it very much. My Senns 595 were also tested thanks to this disc and they sounded poorly until one day that they changed enough to be able to hear them again with Radiohead.

I have in process to place an order for the new ATs so if this brand plays the music of this group wonderfully as you say...
cool.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 32
No pics yet, sorry... I'm now at work ang taking pictures of my headphones would most likely be frowned upon
wink.gif

@jarnauga: like I said, I don't have much experience with headphones in general... so what sounds awesome to me most likely will be crap to you.

It was still very impressive... especially SHA... that song just made me feel like I was in the eye of a storm, what with everything whirling around in awesomeness!

Anyway, love them so far.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 32
They rotate 90 degrees, and you can also push em up... It's a bit hard to describe and unfortunately I don't have a digital so I can't post pictures... Sorry, I'll go borrow my friend's soon to post pics.

I didn't get a chance to burn them in last night, but I enjoyed every little bit of listening to them so far! Castles Made of Sand by Jimi Hendrix was just fantastic with those. A real treat to listen to on good headphones, I think.

More to come... shortly!

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 32
That OK computer album is a bit compressed, not much low and the highs are very rough... Don't know, could be done on purpose.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 32
All right, update time!

I've had them since Friday, and got about 20 hours of burn-in...

... and it sounds VERY different. I can't really describe it... It's a lot more detailed, and much less forgiving for my mp3's. I said in my initial impressions that I could hear a hiss, or static, with some of my songs... well, now that hiss is noticeable, even bothersome, with most of them. However, with my CD player, or, as I write this, with my laptop (listening to Jean Leloup's Exit album, if there's any French Canadians on this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
), the sound is simply gorgeous! For lack of better words, it just seems so smooth and polished... I can't really describe it, but it's great-tastic. Nothing overpowers anything, the mids are absolutely awesome, and the overall feel is very organic.

But now I have to rebuild my library with lossless files
frown.gif
... and maybe I'll look into this "Rockbox" thing I read passing references to...

Good stuff.

I'm still quite happy with my purchase, and I think it's the best audio purchase I've ever made.

Not that that's saying much.

Anyway, here's some pics. Excuse the poor quality, but I couldn't get a hold of my friend with his digicam. Also excuse the eventual emo-ness of the last picture... I think it's fine, but my girlfriend just laughed at me
smily_headphones1.gif

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Maybe more to come later... once tried out on the move with FLAC files and a Rockbox'd Nano
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 32
Don't waste your time on FLAC on an iPod. LAME -V2 MP3s are transparent and takes up a lot less space. FLAC is pretty stupid IMO on a Nano with it's very limited space.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but that last photo has an emo factor of 8 out of 10.
evil_smiley.gif
Glad you like them though!

8? That much? Damn... I thought it would've been around 6.5/7
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlySpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point... 4 gigs fill up fast... what's this other format you talk about?

LOL, you know you're a noob when...

MP3. How convenient huh?
icon10.gif

The LAME encoder is the best out there. You can d/l it here. 3.97 is the current recommended version.

You can read up on LAME settings here.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 32
Rockbox is an alternative firmware, a lot of people like it over the Apple one cause it lets you use other formats like FLAC and OGG. But I dunno, I've never used it, I read it gives you worse battery life and IMO the interface is ugly.

You'll have to ask someone else if you want more info than that.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back