My first 'phones: ATH-SJ5 initial impressions... by a newbie
Feb 13, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 32
Welcome to Head-Fi from a recent member. We should create a Team Obscure AT (LOL) and you and I could be the charter members. I have a pair of ATH-T44 and must be the only one here with them. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...e96/index.html
600smile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 32
^ How do those sound? I've been wondering about those.

There are so many ATs... so hard to try them all.
blink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ How do those sound? I've been wondering about those.

There are so many ATs... so hard to try them all.
blink.gif

I really like the ATH-T44 after burn in. They are clear and crisp in the midtones. I have never heard any distortion and I am playing high VBR mp3s, WAV, and FLAC through them http://www.last.fm/user/slick1ru2/. I just downloaded a bunch of live music off archive.org and its like being at the concerts. I also listened to some Yo-Yo Ma unaccompanied Bach Cello in D Minor pieces that were so low my teeth almost started rattling...again, no distortion. Highs seem bright too.

I am comparing them to my Senn PX100 which in comparison seem, for lack of a better term, the PX100 seems more airy or acoustic which is probably due to it not being closed like the AT. They do, btw, eliminate a lot of outside sound, I have TVs, and a kid and wife running around the house.

I just got a LDM+ today and only had time to play with it for a couple of minutes but it did clear up some indistinct bass on a live recording (amatuer) so I guess an amp would benefit it but its not a must.

My only complaint is that they are a little uncomfortable on my big head, lol. The strap on top is not padded and the ear pads are all the way down on me so it sits on top of my head and its a little annoying. However, I still listened to them most of the weekend. I have a pair of AT-A700 coming in so I can compare them later.

I don't think for the price you can beat them. They run as low as $40 on the Net.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlySpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAHAHHAHA
600smile.gif

... Why not?
evil_smiley.gif

Check the sig.
3000smile.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Well, it just seems like a lot of hard work. I'll stick with the Apple software... for now!

Thanks again for the LAME thing. Cheers!

Although LAME is a good encoder (and MP3 is still the most versatile format, supported by nearly every device out there), you should be able to get very high quality rips from iTunes (a good AAC encoder) if you go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced and experiment with the Setting dropdown menu. Try ripping a challenging track with various bitrates. I suspect at 160 (or maybe even 128) you shouldn't notice much of a difference from the source.

The other thing to be aware of is that the headphone out on your iPod isn't the greatest in terms of sonic quality. What you get from the head out on your receiver (or whatever) will be a lot better (and amped), which will make anything sound more detailed and dynamic. If you really want to do bitrate comparisons, run your iPod via the line-out (i.e., dock interface) to a preamp in on your receiver (you'll need to buy a cable for this) and compare your CDs with ripped tracks at various bitrates. That way you'll bypass the limitations of the head out on the iPod.

I've ordered the same headphone out of curiosity...I'll post impressions after I've done some listening.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 32
DeadlySpoon, how are the ATH-SJ5s in terms of creaking/rattling/housing microphonics? With my Philips HP460s, for instance, the plastic construction causes them to creak so much during use that it effectively kills their on-the-go functionality for me. The K81DJs are much better in this regard.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #26 of 32
@epithetless: there's really not much of that... no creaking, no rattling, no nothing. Swinging the cord around and hitting it on anything won't affect the SQ, and the 'phones themselves are pretty stable, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

@epithetless: there's really not much of that... no creaking, no rattling, no nothing. Swinging the cord around and hitting it on anything won't affect the SQ, and the 'phones themselves are pretty stable, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Good to hear. Thanks. Maybe when/if these headphones get some more exposure, they can blow another hole in my wallet.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #29 of 32
Just dropped the cash for a pair at AudioCubes. Damn you alcohol and endless desire to buy headphones!

I got a pair of CX300's a few weeks ago but they hiss - A LOT, especially when driven with the PA2v2 amp I just got. Plus, I really like full sized cans better. The sound on the CX300's is great but they've gotta go... if anyone wants a pair when I get my SJ5's hit me up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 32
btb103, if you could post your impressions/comparisons when you get the SJ5s, that would be great.

Balthazar_B, have yours arrived yet? Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back