My Fiio E7 review: An unfortunate waste of $100
Jul 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sycraft

100+ Head-Fier
To understand this review, first we need to start with my situation/requirements. I decided to get some IEMs for nice, portable, listening. In particular, I decided to get Shure SE420s. The SE series seem to get good ratings and Amazon was selling the 420s for just $160.

Well when I got them I was... Underwhelmed. They weren't BAD, they just weren't very good. In particular the bass was real anemic, also stereo imaging/separation wasn't great. Really given the price and the hype, I expected more. Now I will say, I have heavy demands. I normally listen on tower speakers helped by a big sub (SVS MTS-01s and an SS 20-39 PC+) calibrated with Audyssey to have proper levels and balance. So my demands for bass are high. However, my ATH-A700s seem to keep up pretty well, and the 420s didn't measure up to them.

Then it occurred to me... Might they need an amp? So I fetched my PPA out of its resting place. It is not ideal, since it is high gain. It hisses ever so slightly with the 420s on it, which is annoying. However, it did the trick. Bass was great, getting the nice deep extension it should, seperation was liklewise great.

So I decided to get an amp that was more portable, more TSA friendly (my PPA is an open top box with wires running around in it), and more low impedance friendly. The Fiio E7 peaked my attention in a number of ways.

Just got it today. I will say it looks fantastic. Wonderful aesthetics all the way around, but still plenty functional (like screws on the bottom you can actually get at). Also the controls are easy to use and work just as advertised. All in all an extremely slick package.

However, it just doesn't do it sound wise. The bass is a little better than my laptop's built in output, but not much. It just doesn't get the powerful lows I wish to hear. All in all, it is not much of a sonic upgrade.

I'll have to see if they take returns, because I just can't see getting much use out of this. Neat idea, but can't measure up to what the 420s need and I demand.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 23
Se420 is not that well regarded here. Dunno why, but that seems to be the general consensus. Try using some of the high end iems on the E7, and see how it sounds. If you want thunderous bass, you should consider some of the dynamic iems.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Se420 is not that well regarded here. Dunno why, but that seems to be the general consensus. Try using some of the high end iems on the E7, and see how it sounds. If you want thunderous bass, you should consider some of the dynamic iems.

Sorry, but this is as high end as I'm willing to spend. Headphones are not my primary listening mode, and even when using headphones, IEMs are not my primary units. These are plenty high end for travel phones.

Also, as I said, with a PPA their bass is great, so clearly an amp does help at least to some degree. I actually quite like their sound on the PPA. It is very neutral and accurate, or perhaps I should say its response sounds similar to my speakers which are EQ'd to be as flat as practical.

The FiiO just doesn't seem to be up to the task.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Hmm, what's your source? The e7 has been mentioned by pretty much everyone here that if you are not using the DAC in addition to the amp (or line out from your source), that the SQ will be pretty bad, as well as the volume levels being somewhat weak. The e7 doesn't fair too well when paired to a PMP with it's own amping, unless it has a dedicated LOD or LO.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 23
I'm using it as the DAC. Volume is not at all a problem, I have it set at 12 (of 100) and that is plenty loud. These are low impedance, high efficiency phones, they need little power. They just seem to need some heavy, fast, current to hit the real low notes, or perhaps better control of the drivers.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 23
The total bithead does great with my SE530s.  It brings the bass that my D2+ and netbook hp out lack.  Should do just fine with your 420s, if you're willing to spend a bit more money.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 23
Is there a significant bass boost in the PPA amp? The E7 is a neutral and fairly transparent amp and should have no problems reproducing low bass. It does have a fairly mild bass boost EQ, which would pale in comparison to some of bass boost circuits that go up to 8 or 12dB.

It should not sound bad at all when used purely as a amp - the only "issue" is that if someone wants an amp for the sole purpose of getting more volume out of a MP3's headphone output, then the E7's 4dB gain might not be enough if what you are looking for is another 10dB of headroom.

Anyway, E7 sounds like a poor match for what Sycraft is looking for from a headphone amp.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
well its regarded as a very un interesting sounding IEM, bland, neutral, mild bass and soft highs.  also shures arent known for really benefiting from an amping.  something like an ety or RE-0 im sure would respond much better

That's funny..from my experience there wasn't too much of a difference between SE420 and SE530.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Sorry, but this is as high end as I'm willing to spend. Headphones are not my primary listening mode, and even when using headphones, IEMs are not my primary units. These are plenty high end for travel phones.

Also, as I said, with a PPA their bass is great, so clearly an amp does help at least to some degree. I actually quite like their sound on the PPA. It is very neutral and accurate, or perhaps I should say its response sounds similar to my speakers which are EQ'd to be as flat as practical.

The FiiO just doesn't seem to be up to the task.

What are your thoughts on the SE420s then? Might be an issue more related to the Shures than the E7 itself.

There are lots of options around the 420's class that might suit you better, and the price of customs have come down over the years. I have an E7 otw, and am very interested in hearing how it sounds through my own iems.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 23
I would agree with the recommendation for the Bithead.  I've owned the Airhead and still have access to one when I want to use it.  When using the ES7s the difference in bass quality, and quantity is the first thing I notice every time I use it.  Plus, excellent build and features make it a steal for $150.00.  If you don't need the DAC and want to save a little cash, the Airhead would be a great match.  I've also used it with the e4cs and SE530's, great match with the low gain setting.  

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 23

That does seem to be a possibility, do you have impressions on the E7 with other IEMs and/or the SE420 with other sources? That could help to sort out the weak link in your setup.
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the SE420s then? Might be an issue more related to the Shures than the E7 itself.

There are lots of options around the 420's class that might suit you better, and the price of customs have come down over the years. I have an E7 otw, and am very interested in hearing how it sounds through my own iems.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 23
I would agree with the OP.  The E7 is a sexy piece of gear, but in terms of SQ, there is simply not much there, not even when hooked up to JH13 or JH16 Pros.  The only possible justification I can fathom for purchasing one if you're really on a tight budget and have a pair of high-impedance cans that cannot be driven directly out of a HP-out.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
That does seem to be a possibility, do you have impressions on the E7 with other IEMs and/or the SE420 with other sources? That could help to sort out the weak link in your setup.

The E7 I haven't played with anything else yet. The SE420s sound great on my PPA, and fine on my Denon 3808CI. I mean I guess they are ok on the E7 too, just not as good as they should be. They have good bass on the PPA, on the E7 they sound too much like the laptop's integrated headphone port (which is what it was bought to replace).

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 23
You could try the uDAC as well.  I've heard it does well with IEMs, and is about the same price as the E7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back