My experience with different music players.
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 205
If you really think you have evidence of some anomaly and you surprisingly become able to explain it clearly, go tell the devs of foobar on their forum. I'm done with the nonsense.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 205
It is a well documented issue. There is nothing new to add to it and I described and measured the difference. Well, the reason this issue even exists is because the developer turns a blind eye to it. Not that no one has yet reported him yet.

A statement from the developer himself : "Contrary to popular "audiophile" claims, there are NO benefits from using ASIO as far as music playback quality is concerned, while bugs in ASIO drivers may severely degrade the performance". Meanwhile DAW, interface and DAC take time to make asio drivers and even recommend using asio. The guy gave me a free software to use and I'm thankful to that. But just making one software (having issues I described) doesn't entitle him to making such sweeping statements.

You people take pride in calling out other people when they diverge from your pre conceived opinion (but you like to push it as a fact) but when served a taste of your own medicine, you go into defense mode or calling nonsense/bs. You are not audio scientists, you are audio egoists.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 205
Reading these exchanges are entertaining and sad. Entertaining because of the limited information provided to make hyperbolic claims, sad because it takes away from the enjoyment of music. Which in my stubborn opinion is the main thing. Enjoy your music, don’t get bogged down in the weeds on the best ever. Everyone has different hardware, systems, and preferences so go with what does you, and the rest of us will go with what does us.

I personally find Roon to be an excellent option. For me, it does what I need it to do.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #19 of 205
Reading these exchanges are entertaining and sad. Entertaining because of the limited information provided to make hyperbolic claims, sad because it takes away from the enjoyment of music. Which in my stubborn opinion is the main thing. Enjoy your music, don’t get bogged down in the weeds on the best ever. Everyone has different hardware, systems, and preferences so go with what does you, and the rest of us will go with what does us.

I personally find Roon to be an excellent option. For me, it does what I need it to do.
What is Roon and why might I want it? What does it do for you? I've Googled it and still do not understand its appeal. I have iTunes on all my devices and, via a multitude of means, I can enjoy AAC, ALAC, and AIFF music up to 24/192 from my home theatre system, instantly accessing most any recorded music within the history of recorded music.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 205
What is Roon and why might I want it? What does it do for you? I've Googled it and still do not understand its appeal. I have iTunes on all my devices and, via a multitude of means, I can enjoy AAC, ALAC, and AIFF music up to 24/192 from my home theatre system, instantly accessing most any recorded music within the history of recorded music.

Roon is another music playback software, there is a thread in this category that discusses it; 2019 Roon Thread - is it worth it?

If what you have works for your needs, great.

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #21 of 205
I realized that playback software's like foobar actually limit fidelity (even when using asio or wasapi).

There's almost nothing correct in your post. foobar over ASIO is bit perfect, there is nothing you can do to get better than that. Linux is a huge fail for audio and video. Good luck getting bit perfect DSD out of Linux.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #22 of 205
There's almost nothing correct in your post. foobar over ASIO is bit perfect, there is nothing you can do to get better than that. Linux is a huge fail for audio and video. Good luck getting bit perfect DSD out of Linux.
I use Foobar 2000 for multi-channel FLAC download pleasure via HDMI connection from PC to OPPO-205. It is not glitch free and I have not yet determined why. At any rate, every few minutes, I'll hear a drop out of very short duration, about a note or two. The HDMI connection works fine on movies stored in iTunes Library. At any rate, I now am playing my multi-channel FLAC downloads via thumb drive connection to OPPO.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 205
Please elaborate on that topic. Seems incorrect considering the fact even strawberry supports bitperfect dsd over alsa on Linux, not to mention Roon.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #24 of 205
I use Foobar 2000 for multi-channel FLAC download pleasure via HDMI connection from PC to OPPO-205. It is not glitch free and I have not yet determined why. At any rate, every few minutes, I'll hear a drop out of very short duration, about a note or two. The HDMI connection works fine on movies stored in iTunes Library. At any rate, I now am playing my multi-channel FLAC downloads via thumb drive connection to OPPO.

We already discussed this. Nobody knows why you're trying to use foobar over HDMI. Try the Oppo's USB DAC driver and use it in foobar. zero problems, the way it was designed to work...

Please elaborate on that topic. Seems incorrect considering the fact even strawberry supports bitperfect dsd over alsa on Linux, not to mention Roon.

I haven't seen any proof that a music player can have any control over layers of Linux middleware. Sure, the player can pass a bitperfect stream but what happens after that is the problem.

foobar on Windows is free and it works. It plays more formats that Strawberry or Roon, it gives you total control on exactly which drivers you use unlike Roon which does all kinds of stuff via smoke and mirrors. I can't see any basis for the claim that foobar limits fidelity. That's just wrong, and the OP went downhill from there. You can't start a real discussion by making false statements and then basing additional wild claims on those.

<unsubbed>

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #25 of 205
5. Winyl + Minorityclean is on a whole another level. I'm still trying to experiment with different variants of minorityclean but the default version 8 brought marked improvements on most fronts. Hqplayer + minorityclean could sound identical to the above you don't upsample and don't add any processing but the point of hqplayer is those features. No processing on hqplayer even comes close to what minorityclean does.

Thanks for the tip.
I tried Winyl & Foobar, playing them back to back with ASIO selected on both & I immediately noticed foobar being softer, more closed in & darker sounding.

But what is Minorityclean, I can't find anything on it. Is it a EQ add on? Any links to setting it up with Winyl?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 205
I can't see any basis for the claim that foobar limits fidelity. That's just wrong, and the OP went downhill from there. You can't start a real discussion by making false statements and then basing additional wild claims on those.

I been using Foobar with ASIO for a decade, tried Jriver awhile ago & didn't really hear any differences. I would call BS myself, but it was easy to test out.
I downloaded Winyl, it's a lightweight app & quick to download & install. Play a song on it, pause & play a song on foobar. Did this back & forth. The difference was immediate. Foobar was without a doubt more hazy sounding & Winyl was more open sounding.

What's so wild about Foobar still having some kind of hidden Windows processing even with ASIO turned on,

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 205
One of my favorite feature in JRiver Media Center is the ability to import VST. There are so many good VST plug-ins out there and many are free. My current favorite is MJUC, not free but the Jr version is free. It just make music pop and there are so many options to tune music to your liking without EQ.

You can do the same thing in Foobar with the VST plug-ins component but from my experience it’s not as good as the baked in DSP Studio in JRiver Media Center with random crashes.

Instead of spending a lot of money on hardware that work best with your setup, try VST first.

mjuc.JPG

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #28 of 205
We already discussed this. Nobody knows why you're trying to use foobar over HDMI. Try the Oppo's USB DAC driver and use it in foobar. zero problems, the way it was designed to work...

I haven't seen any proof that a music player can have any control over layers of Linux middleware. Sure, the player can pass a bitperfect stream but what happens after that is the problem.

foobar on Windows is free and it works. It plays more formats that Strawberry or Roon, it gives you total control on exactly which drivers you use unlike Roon which does all kinds of stuff via smoke and mirrors. I can't see any basis for the claim that foobar limits fidelity. That's just wrong, and the OP went downhill from there. You can't start a real discussion by making false statements and then basing additional wild claims on those.

<unsubbed>
I mentioned why I have tried Foobar via HDMI, it delivers multi-channel gaplessly; and, although my usb to DAC delivers stereo gaplessly, it does not process multi-channel. Also, while I can play Foobar Library via DLNA Network connection to my OPPO, the OPPO will not process it gaplessly, instead it will pause at classical music's movement tags.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #30 of 205
@manueljenkin Wow I just tested Winyl and sounds very good. I hate foobar and JRiver. But how can I change it so I can send 24 bits to my dac? I haven't found it anywhere in the settings.

It won't send 24 bits if your music is not 24 bit. The playback engine is very simple and there is not much ways to deviate from bit perfect here (other than if you use directsound or if you have eq enabled).

In case you liked this, please try hysolid. It is even better than winyl (the difference is bigger than moving between different tiers of headphones).

I have moved to Linux playback, using wtfplay, a live boot Linux distro that sounds absolutely fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back