My ears depend on you.
Jun 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mrleet

New Head-Fier
Hey All, 

Long-time lurker and never felt like I had much to contribute (still don't actually..) but I need help! 

My HD555 and Beat Studio just got stolen and I need some over-the-ear headphones to make my life a little happier. The beats were a regretful buy, and were not used often as the HD555 were more comfortable and better sounding (to me, at least).

But I want something cheaper this time around--something around $150, give or take a couple, would be great.  I am not a BIG audiophile, but do like my music to sound good. 

I listen to a lot of Hip Hop (these phones are in antiipation for J. Cole's album), so bass is important.  I also get down with some classical and jazz...so not sure what to get.  

I want to show some love to some Sennheisers since they were one of my best purchase evAr (70 bucks!), but I do want something that aren't open headphones like the hd555.  Apparently, that can sometimes bother your roommates :).  But if there are superior phones around my price range, please recommend.   

Not sure if this is the right forum to post--will delete if it is not; sorry in advance! 

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 26
So, I am currently looking at some ATH-M50.  Or get a pair of HD555 again and just not use it around roommates.

I am also looking at the M-Audio Q50.  But still gotta do some research.  Thanks!

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 26

Quote:
Hey All, 

Long-time lurker and never felt like I had much to contribute (still don't actually..) but I need help! 

My HD555 and Beat Studio just got stolen and I need some over-the-ear headphones to make my life a little happier. The beats were a regretful buy, and were not used often as the HD555 were more comfortable and better sounding (to me, at least).

But I want something cheaper this time around--something around $150, give or take a couple, would be great.  I am not a BIG audiophile, but do like my music to sound good. 

I listen to a lot of Hip Hop (these phones are in antiipation for J. Cole's album), so bass is important.  I also get down with some classical and jazz...so not sure what to get.  

I want to show some love to some Sennheisers since they were one of my best purchase evAr (70 bucks!), but I do want something that aren't open headphones like the hd555.  Apparently, that can sometimes bother your roommates :).  But if there are superior phones around my price range, please recommend.   

Not sure if this is the right forum to post--will delete if it is not; sorry in advance! 

rolleyes.gif

If bass is the most important factor, then the XB700 should be all you need. Otherwise look into the M50.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 26
M50 are quite good. You may also want to consider Shure SRH840. They are in your price bracket and are generally well regarded here. Have a look at some reviews of these cans here at head-fi, especially the angry ones.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 26
I think the M50s are great too.  They're currently running for 160 on amazon, is that a good deal?  I found a pair of ATH-A700 for 116, how do they compare?

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 26
M50's have a lot of bass but my experience has found it to be uncontrolled and flabby (yes, after burn in).  The SRH840's are obviously superior to my ears, and they have a very smooth midrange.  Their high details lack a little, but its not bad for what you pay for by any means.  They are my personal best headphones under $200, as I have stated before.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 26
FA003, SR850, Ultrasone HFI780, DJ1 and Klipsch Image ONE.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 26
I use Ultrasone 580s as my go-to hip hop headphones and I love them. The Ultrasone DJ1 (not DJ1 Pro) are the exact same headphone. Both can be found for around 150 online. Tight and detailed bass that is well separated from the mids/highs. Casual hip-hop heads that listen to them remark that they sound like they have tweeters. 

I prefer an open headphone for jazz but the 580s do just fine for me. 

BTW, has Cole's album FINALLY found a release date? I can't think of another rapper that I anticipated more (circa The Warm Up) to have it all fizzle down to nothing. If he releases an album tomorrow, my thoughts would be "meh".

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm in a similar boat. Well, not literally , obviously. I have a pair of Alessandro ms-1i that are just burnt in, sound great, but I really needed a closed pair of phones for studying and wandering about town etc.   I would also possibly like to use them at the gym, but not so important. Any advice would be great, I find the alessandros beautiful sounding, but I haven't been sucked into that other musical dimension that I have before with other headphones - is that a soundstage thing?

Looked at ATH m50, srh 440, senn. h-25, sony mdr-v6 amongst others.
I want somehwat portable, and not look like I'm trying to be 'oh so cool' with my big cans on when I 'm wandering around town. But
I also want quality, and a one pair does all type job. Listen to rock, indie, acoustic, jazz, of a sansa clip+ or my home system.

Thanks and let us know what you go for.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 26
I think without knowing more details you should post in the headphone request thread in this forum...

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 26
Thank you all for the great comments; I will find ppl/stores where I can check out the phones before I purchase.  

@Questhate,  Cole's album has been done for awhile, but RocNation won't release it until he makes a summer "commercial" hit.  He half-assed one and its his single, its crap though. In anticipation, go download his Friday Night Lights mixtape (if you have not already--it's free on his site).  He keeps saying he's gonna blow THIS summer, so he better release his album THIS summer. 

I will let you all know what my decision will be!  I wish I could get some open headphones, because I'll have more options--but considering that I will attend grad school soon...it wont be conducive to making friends at the library :) 

thanks all! 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 26
M-50 with Shure 840 pads is pretty epic.
Although,  I have listened to the HFI-580s @ B&H and there is something so right about Ultrasone sound.  Aggressive.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 26
I tried the 840 pads with the M50s and found the results disappointing. The general perception is that half the sound is missing somewhere, which isn't hard to believe considering that those pads are actually too big for the M50s. There is a whole thread dedicated to M50 pad alternatives. 

Quote:
M-50 with Shure 840 pads is pretty epic.
Although,  I have listened to the HFI-580s @ B&H and there is something so right about Ultrasone sound.  Aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back