My Dream Headphone Setup
Aug 26, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 57
In electrostatics.. Two words Sennheiser Orpheus

As for dyanmic headphones:
I'd go Cary 300SEI with AKG K 1000/Grado RS-1/Sennheiser HD600 or Sony MDR-10.

I haven't had a chance to audition the above dynamic headphones apart from the K 1000 and I haven't had a go of the Cary either...

Aug 26, 2001 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 57
I too won't mind having the Sennheiser Orpheus, but at $12000, it's a bit on the expensive side. I am perfetly content with my

Marantz CD6000KI
Musical Fidelity X-CANv2/X-PSU
Sennheiser 580
Van Del Hul "The First"

The only thing I might change is the headphone to the 600, already got some NOS tubes fro the X-can. But other then that, wouldn't change anything.

Aug 27, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 57
The new headroom site has the Orpheus listed at $10K. I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering one next May when I have the money, unless Tyll and Todd let me work at Headroom until I've paid it off by means of labor.

Aug 27, 2001 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 57
why does a 16 year old need 10 000 headphones???

even if you have that much money, i don't think you can justify spending that much on a pair of headphones, no matter how good they sound.

Aug 27, 2001 at 6:44 AM Post #21 of 57
I pretty much have my dream setup, and I am quickly becoming a non-productive member of society -- coincidence? I think not.

I have everything in this list except as noted.
Amp: Audio Valve RKV Mk III (might roll the tubes, but the lore isn't as well known, so I'd have to experiment on my own)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD600
Headphone cord: Clou Cable Red (have the Blue)
Interconnects: Haven't settled on one -- am "bi-wiring" Pure Silver Sound w/ Straight Wire Encore II -- have also had Ixos 1002 Gamma Encore and Audio Magic Apprentice II in there.
DAC: MSB Tech Link DAC Platinum (I have the III w/HDCD and upsampling)
Source: Pioneer DVL-919
Digital interconnect: Hosa something

The only things I would switch: maybe the interconnects, but not sure to what just yet, am thinking Kimber KCTG's. That's right, not the amp. Well, unless I could get an Orpheus. Then, yeah, I'd switch to that. But I'd want to hear it first. I'm not sure it'd be an improvement. I'm not sure about the Cary or the EAR, either. Yes, I really do like my RKV that much. Especially now that it's well broken in.

And a 16-year-old should need the best ear/headphones because he has the best hearing of any of us.

Too bad about Aaliyah, RIP.

Aug 27, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 57
Thomas, I don't think I could justify it either, and that is my biggest problem. But how can one justify spending $20,000+ on an antique car when there are cheaper alternatives, or spending absurd amounts of money on clothes. I saw a jacket once that cost twice as much as an Orpheus. How could anyone justify that? Having enough money helps, but it's not that. It's because people that buy these things have a passion. It is a hobby that they love. This is my hobby. I love headphones. I don't want the $10,000 headphones. I want the effect and the joy that they will produce. If it could be done with a pair of $10 phones, then I would have about 12 pairs, but it can't. The Orpheus is the only pair of headphones that will sound exactly like an Orpheus and for that reason I want an Orpheus. One day, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day, I will have an Orpheus.

BTW, I am 17
tongue.gif

Edit: When I have the Orpheus everyone should feel free to come over to my house and listen to it if they want to.

Edit 2: When I reffered to some day, I meant within the decade after I get a good job and can really afford it.

Aug 27, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #23 of 57
dude, voyager, don't do it. Well, do it if you want to I guess, but it seems to me there are better things to do with your money than buy an orpheus. And you also have to think about the other equipment you'll need: a really nice cdp, really nice cables, and all that stuff before you'll do it justice. And IMO they're not that great. Not $10,000 great. it's the same music that you've been listening to on your current setup; it will be no different. You'll hear a bit more detail and the soundstage will be better, but that's all. trust me, I've heard them.

I dunno, personally if I had $10k to spend I'd go with a really nice speaker setup. Headphones are good when you have a budget or need something that's portable, but for home use speakers are the king.

besides, haven't you guys been listening to kevin gilmore, darth nut, jimbo and me? The Omega 2 is just as good or better than the orpheus, it's just cheaper and not quite as pretty. Trust me on that!

Aug 27, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 57
All I'm saying is eventually I'd like to have one. To buy one now would be irrational, and I don't think my parents would let me if I had the money anyway. I do have better things to spend money on than headphones and if I had 10K I'd probably go for a speaker setup anyway. Right now I am happy with my RS-2s and Rega Ear, and if this is as far as I get in the audio world I'd be ok with it. If I got one used like Monster did I think it would be much easier to justify, and I probably would buy one, especially at the low price he paid.

Nov 7, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #25 of 57
I'm either living my headphone dream, or close to it.

Pioneer PD-65 transport
Audio Note DAC 1.1x
Audio Note M-2 Line pre-amp
Bottlehead Paramours
(with Paraglow iron, Brimar 12AT7's and RCA biplate 2A3's)
AKG K-1000's

Properly driven, the AKGs make the Senn 600's sound murky.
I've owned the Cary 300 SEi and used it with the Senns, and I've owned the Cary SE 2A3 monobloks and used them with the AKG's, and the Bottlehead amps with upgraded iron smoked 'em. It wasn't close; the distinction wasn't remotely subtle.

I'll have a Berning Micro ZOTL (again) in a few days, and will A/B the Senns and AKGs on it, and the ZOTL/Senn600/Red Clou combo vs. the Bottlehead/AKG combo.

If I had to bet, I'd predict the ZOTL/Senn/Clou will become the meanest mother bedroom headphone system in town, with the Bot/AKGs holding pride of place in the living room. And it won't matter what kind of music you like to listen to.

I'd love to put the Bot/AKG combo up against the Orpheus . . . .
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:26 AM Post #26 of 57
I guess I think small. If I had a tube amp (Earmax pro, ect.), some decent interconnects, and a pair of HD 600s, I'd be perfectly happy.

My reasoning is that I already have a nice SS setup(except interconnects) that does the V6's justice. I had a chance to try out a decent headphone amp and IMO my DIY amp sounds just as good (except for a nonlinear pot). I just want to try out tubes: to hear what its all about.

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 57
DRcope, you lucky bitch!
wink.gif
The K1000's are indeed astounding headphones. They're easily the very best deal in the high-end headphone world!

Personally, I want to try out an AKG K501/Sugden Headmaster combo. That should be extremely neutral, and the Sugden should have more than enough power for the AKG's. As for a CD player, I don't really know; maybe the Denon 370 or something.

Nov 7, 2001 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Properly driven, the AKGs make the Senn 600's sound murky.

Well, if the HD600 are "properly driven" I don't think any cans could make them sound murky
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 5:34 AM Post #29 of 57
Let's see here:

Source : Wadia 270 CD Transport & Wadia 27ix Decoding Computer.

Cables : MI-350 Oracle Ultimate Reference Level Interconnect.

Amps : Holmes-Powell DCT - 2, Headroom Blockhead, and T2 amp.

Headphones : Everything I have now, plus the CD3000, Grado RS-1, MSP, and Omega 2 earspeakers.

Power : P600 Power Plant, Ultimate Outlet, pair of Ultimate Lab Cables.

Nov 7, 2001 at 7:31 AM Post #30 of 57
Did someone say Orpheus?I HAD this slice of headphone heaven for about two weeks.13 days of pure bliss,I took five unscheduled vacation days after I got them.I got absolutely nothing productive done.I was a headphone slave.This nearly cost me my marriage(see quote below).My brother came along to save the day and took them off my hands for only a small loss.Even though I could afford them at the time my wife was not amused.She assured me that such antics would result in far more expensive conseqeunces.I took the $11,000 and bought a new Buell motorcycle which is what I sold in the first place to raise the money, and believe it or not,she never said a thing.I am not going to try to understand this but it happened.I love my wife dearly and there is nothing that I would ever willingly do to make her that angry EVER again.I guess she just didn't get it.Take heed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back