My Dream Headphone Setup
Jan 20, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #46 of 57
I tried a brand new STAX Omega 2. And I compared it with Cary 300SEI/Sony CD3000/Grado RS1 combo.

I think both are excellent choices. However, I tend to prefer the latter. Perhaps it is unfair as STAX has not been run-in adequately. But likewise, the Cary with the 2 different cans.

For those who are seriously considering the STAX, I really encourage you to do some in-depth listening (if possible), and compare with other combo.

Just my personal opinion after spending long hours auditing them.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Kelly, I feel that at any price point, It just comes down to personal preference......not good, better, or best. After all, it's your ears that will be doing the listening.
wink.gif

I concurred with RickG. Our ears are made different.

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Kelly, I feel that at any price point, It just comes down to personal preference......not good, better, or best. After all, it's your ears that will be doing the listening.
wink.gif

Rick, unfortunately at this price point it's just unlikely that I'll ever get to hear any of them. Unless you're planning a trip to Dallas, HD600s on flumpus' Melos is about the highest point I'm going to get to sample.

And while I agree that nothing takes the place of an audition, if I didn't enjoy reading other people's experiences, this would be a boring place to visit.

Kelly

Jan 21, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Unless you're planning a trip to Dallas, HD600s on flumpus' Melos is about the highest point I'm going to get to sample.

Well, if it's any consolation, it doesn't really get *that* much better than HD600/Melos
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #50 of 57
Let's see... Optimus 3400 CD Player + Sony EX70 headphones
LOL... but it would not too bad anyway!

I love to read all those setups. I have been wondering about the Highest-End systems, though...

Some people seems to think the more you invest in audio, the more music satisfaction you get. Perhaps it is right , perhaps it's wrong, but clearly it is not a linear relation. When you advance more and more in the quality scale, you get less and less for each $100 excess you pay.

In a respected audiophile site, someone said the absolute reference to judge High-End audio is the real sound itself. Except for absolutely electronic music, I think it is right. Then, every time you go to a piano concert (in a good seat!), every time you hear an acoustic Spanish guitar concert, etc..., you are hearing the most absolute High-End sound in earth.

I admit beeing in a live concert with a good sound is really enjoyable BUT I hardly know someone who gets a "religious" experience listening it, or his/her life transforming because it. Sometimes, if the performer is not very good, I get boring, and I begin to think my $ payed was an error. All the sound quality is nothing if the music itself is not worthy (and the music is not worthy for you if you don't like the performer)

Personally, I have had more ecstatic hours listening my home CDs with great music than in live concerts (but obviously I have been in incredible live concerts too!). I think a really good home system with a really wonderful set of YOUR preferred music is the goal.

Anyway... I admit I enjoy all that about new equipment and audio reviews and dream quality...
wink.gif
It's a sort of addiction in itself!

My minimalist great music system would be: Senheisser HD600, NAD 521 or maybe 541 CD player, and about HP amp,I'g go tube, maybe Wheatfield, or maybe I'd choose Grado RA-1... I love headphones, more than speakers even. I think I would enjoy that system more than a $6000 speaker system... well I really don't know
wink.gif
LOL

Regards to everyone and sorry for the long and winding... sermon

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Schummy
In a respected audiophile site, someone said the absolute reference to judge High-End audio is the real sound itself. Except for absolutely electronic music, I think it is right. Then, every time you go to a piano concert (in a good seat!), every time you hear an acoustic Spanish guitar concert, etc..., you are hearing the most absolute High-End sound in earth.

Welllll... Actually, for recordings, engineers can do all sorts of tricks to the concert halls (plexiglass bubbles over the doors, placing the chorus in the main seating, funky mic placing) plus you don't have >1000 heads reflecting or absorbing sound, and no coughing/sneezing/snoring/pagers/cell-phone-accompaniments to Beethoven's Fifth. I guess perfection is impossible
frown.gif
wink.gif
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #52 of 57
For those of you wanting to buy an Orpheus (new), you'd better hurry. A Senn rep told me at this year's CES that there are only three left. But hey, at least they are now bargain priced at $12,000.

Jan 30, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #53 of 57
Since I have no real way of hearing either one, the reviews of the Omega II were better written and they're cooler lookin'. (I think this is the equivalent of predicting who will win the super bowl based on which uniform you like best.) So lucky me, I only need $6300.

Kelly

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

So lucky me, I only need $6300.

Not really...with EIFL only about $3500.
smily_headphones1.gif
Make a trip to Japan and you might be able to pick it up for $2600 somewhere or so I read.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #57 of 57
My dream system:

DCS Verdi SACD/CD transport (can't afford)
rolleyes.gif

DCS Elgar DAC 24 bit/192 KHz (can't afford)
rolleyes.gif

Home made silver interconnects
tongue.gif

AKG-K1000 (currently own)
tongue.gif

Musical Fidelity M3 Int. Amp (currently own)
tongue.gif

I think the best feature about the AKG's that none of the other headphones mentioned here can match is the adjustable ear pieces and the corresponding variable "soundstage".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back