My Dream Headphone Setup
Nov 7, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #32 of 57
And you still have the Buell...
cool.gif

Nov 8, 2001 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

I don't want the $10,000 headphones. I want the effect and the joy that they will produce. If it could be done with a pair of $10 phones, then I would have about 12 pairs, but it can't

I hate to tell you - while it might be really really nice to have what are arguably the best headphones in the world - they won't make you happy, they won't solve your problems, they will just reproduce music beautifully.

If I had $15,000 the last thing on my mind would be getting an Orpheus. Probably a NAD CD player, a Little amp, some speakers in the ~$600 range, I would pay off my car, and go back to school. This is infinetly more important then owning something.

To think that you are even contemplating saving the money to buy it just blows my mind. I make roughly $18k a year before taxes. Taxes bring that down to about $15k, car loan takes another $1300 a year (I drive a Hyundai), insurance another $2500 a year (A new one), food + entertainment + CDs another $2500 a year, invest ~$1000 a year in my 401k, if I were going to school, add in another $4k in payments, and don't forget about $1000 total in gifts (Birthday, christmas, donations), another $2k in miscellaneous expenses, another $800 or so for my gaming habit (In hardware and software), do the math and you end up with a grand total of ~ negative $100 a year if I go to school, $4k if I don't. Keep in mind if I went to school I would earn less so would be even more in the hole. I would also prefer to invest double what I am now, 10% of my pay as opposed to 4 or 5 percent that I do now. I also have some play stock (NVDA
smily_headphones1.gif
) that I keep as a financial backup - if everything drops out from under my feet I will have $1200+ waiting for me.

Your headphone setup is arguably better then mine (HD600+Airhead), depends on people's tastes entirely, although my amp is a good bit worse it will be upgraded to a Little or comprable in a year or so.

And think of the amount of music you could get for the price of an orpheus minus a K-1000, or even a Sony R-10!

If I were your parent I would never let you buy an Orpheus. If you made enough money to drop $10k like nothing it would be something else, but you don't. You would literally need to work for a solid year to be able to afford a pair of headphones. And they are just that. Headphones. I am willing to bet that later in life you may make enough money so you could afford something like that, but for now you really should have different priorites.

Do you plan on driving at all? A car is a huge expense, although worth it.

Now - if you could get one for $3k, and they are willing to hold it for you for a good while so you can save the cash, then it isn't quite as bad of a decision, but I think it still would be one unless you planned on reselling it
smily_headphones1.gif

No, having an Orpheus won't change your life, except for the worst untill you can afford it. And while you may be able to save up $10k in a year, you will need to use it for something else unless you just want to sit there and listen to music the rest of your life in your parent's basement.

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #35 of 57
perhaps we should have a "won the lottery" section and a more realistic expectation section.
either one can be dreamy....

lets see realistic right now would be my soon to get melos sha-1 upgraded by melos restoration.
headphones would be rs-1s with flat pads(i.e. old) that sound like they are supposed to(hasnt happened yet but i dont think mine were broken in...mine sounded stale, not warm and bassy like they supposedly should...).
my cdp would be the upgraded version (granite audio cdp 650 to 657) which supposedly sounds better than sacd for regular cds!
it adds a tube line stage. so its kinda like the cary cdps.
add a power cord here or there and some tube rolling and thats about it.
that would cost me another $1800-$2000 and is very applicable to a speaker setup.

now the really dreamy,
id get either a cary, zeus, or dct 2.
couple it with either the rs-1s or r10s(depends which ones i like best duh...).
i doubt id get electrostats or even the orpheus (but id like to hear it first) as i like the impact of dynamics.
my cdp is more than adequate. no use buying an elgar dac.
ps audio 600 or whatever with whale cables.

this would cost me at most around $13000
this is just about what vka's set up is at already.
wow!

k.s.

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:24 AM Post #36 of 57
Were we supposed to do the interconnects, too? Geez, I don't know...why doesn't anyone tell me these things...I thought it was just supposed to be multiple choice...um...um...Kimber Kable KCTG's! Yeah! That's the ticket. Maybe QED's top of the line Silver Spiral...though I wouldn't mind hearing Musical Fidelity's Nu-Vista interconnects, which, ironically, does not contain the Nuvistor tube!

Jan 18, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #38 of 57
I already have my dream headphone system (Sennheiser HD600, Antique Sound Lab MG Head DT) except for better source (Marantz SA-14) and interconnect (DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1). =)

Screw the more expensive stuff, esp. electrostats.

Jan 19, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 57
I will be considered boring, uncool and conservative, but here's some math for you:
Let's assume you put your $10K into an index fund in the stock market that earns you 10% per year on average (over the long run nothing unusual, really on the low side).
You would approximately double your money every 7 years. You're 16 now, let's say you'll retire when you're 65, that's 49 years or 7 times 7 so you would double your money 7 times over, that's 2 powered by 7 = 128.

That pair of headphones will cost you 1.28 million bucks!

Quote:

Originally posted by Voyager
The new headroom site has the Orpheus listed at $10K. I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering one next May when I have the money, unless Tyll and Todd let me work at Headroom until I've paid it off by means of labor.

Jan 19, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
besides, haven't you guys been listening to kevin gilmore, darth nut, jimbo and me? The Omega 2 is just as good or better than the orpheus, it's just cheaper and not quite as pretty. Trust me on that!

I'll disagree seriously with you on that... So will my dad
smily_headphones1.gif
(and he spent a long time doing some heavy listening...)

I swear, if I ever have enough money... I'd drive a cheap car for a Big O. No, I'm not going to start saving now, but I WILL GET AN ORPHEUS. Someday. Or I'm not a headphile.

Jan 20, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #42 of 57
My dream system would be the Wadia transport and DAC with a nice turntable and the Omega II, but I've not actually heard that setup yet and don't know enough about modern turntables to recommend one.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the end, I don't suspect I'll be happy without getting electrostatics, but I don't know when I'll be able to justify the $6k headphones. I'll have to have some awfully good equipment backing that up.

Kelly

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
besides, haven't you guys been listening to kevin gilmore, darth nut, jimbo and me? The Omega 2 is just as good or better than the orpheus, it's just cheaper and not quite as pretty. Trust me on that!

I trust you, Neruda......

I've never listened to the Orpheus, although, I've done a great deal of research on that unit as well as the Stax Omega II rig. Let's just say that I have been listening to my dream setup for about 5 months now. (BTW, I think it's very pretty!)
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

I trust you, Neruda......

I've never listened to the Orpheus, although, I've done a great deal of research on that unit as well as the Stax Omega II rig. Let's just say that I have been listening to my dream setup for about 5 months now. (BTW, I think it's very pretty!)
wink.gif

Someone REALLY needs to do a shootout between the Orpheus, Omega II, and Melos/Sony R10.

Kelly

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Someone REALLY needs to do a shootout between the Orpheus, Omega II, and Melos/Sony R10.

Kelly

Kelly, I feel that at any price point, It just comes down to personal preference......not good, better, or best. After all, it's your ears that will be doing the listening.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back