My DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,868 of 4,059
Thanks. How much did you apply it?
This works for me:
I spray a very quick, short burst of coating on the diaphragm, spread it gently but evenly with a lint-free cloth, let it dry for 2 or 3 hours, go back and very gently spread/buff the semi-dry coating to prevent “speckling”, and then finally let it dry for the rest of the 24 hour recommended drying time.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,873 of 4,059
Hey DIY folk, are you interested in our Stax Pro compatible amplifier plugs for your projects? We'd be happy to make them available if the answer is yes.

They're solid machined Teflon with machined OFC gold plated pins and a solid AL casing. Works best with round cables, though with some craftiness flat cables can transition to the hole...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,876 of 4,059
Stat Plug.png

Price is TBD, as you can imagine this isn't a cheap high-volume part, so to keep the price attainable for the DIY we may only sell these direct to avoid excess markup.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #2,877 of 4,059
I'm making a new pair of headphones. This time I try to make the headphones with as less copper as possible - I etched out all the useless copper. This helps reduce the capacitance on the headphones and makes them easier to be driven by an amp on high frequencies. It's still a work in progress, but here are a few pictures:

Errr, Wachara - what are you using to hold the sandwhich of stator-spacer-spacer-stator together? I've just noticed just now that your earlier drivers do not use screws to hold the components together. I'm using nylon screws and nuts to hold the components together, and it works, but the screws and nuts require an extra 3mm of clearance on each side of the drivers, thus increasing the thickness of the earcups (which I do not like).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #2,878 of 4,059
Well, there are many ways to put the drivers together. In my early build, I don't use the nylon screws to hold the drivers together. That works fine too. Later on after I have seen how Sennheiser does it, I change my design. However, I don't use the nuts though. I simply use a bit thicker top plate and tap the holes on the plate so that I can just screw the nylon screws there.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,879 of 4,059
Well, there are many ways to put the drivers together. In my early build, I don't use the nylon screws to hold the drivers together. That works fine too. Later on after I have seen how Sennheiser does it, I change my design. However, I don't use the nuts though. I simply use a bit thicker top plate and tap the holes on the plate so that I can just screw the nylon screws there.
Oh, Wow! I never thought to tap the stators -- GREAT IDEA, Wachara! I'm going to give it a try.
-Vinh

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #2,880 of 4,059
Well, actually it’s not the stator that I tap. My configuration is like this: top plate, dust cover, stator, spacer diaphragm, spacer, and stator. This top plate is actually the outer most ring that the whole set of driver is screwed fix into. I also attach the ear pad on the other side of this top plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back