My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,503 of 4,058
You will see a few pages back that I have drawn up some PCB designs for stators and spacers. These are untested, but the likelihood of there being problems are small.

While I have made parts myself at home on my CNC mill, I know from the time and effort involved that no-one here is likely to take on producing these parts in numbers for customers here without it being a labour of love (i.e. ultimately a drain on the producer), or priced at a level which would to a degree obviate the putative advantages of DIY.

So I think the solution is to get these manufactured by a mass-production process.

Unfortunately, as some of you may be aware, I am having chemo for terminal lung cancer. I am far from dead, but I am very tired much of the time. Progress, consequently, is intermittent.

It will cost about U$110 to produce 5 sets of stators and spacers. Before post and handling the cost will be ~ U$22 per set. I can afford to front the cost, but I would prefer to have sufficient expressions of interest to cover the surplus items.

In the circumstances perhaps it would be better if someone else handled the transactions, I am happy to pass on the design files if anyone volunteers.

Some discussion about the design, particularly the mounting details, might be required, as requirements might vary.

Note that following Wachara's recommendation, I am focussing on the 100mm circular design, since suitable pads (at least to get you started) are available off-the-shelf from eBay.

From what I understand, food-grade Mylar and a range of household antistatics can produce good results, so a set of PCBs are the one really difficult item to obtain to get you going.

Fred

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,504 of 4,058
Unless tensioning jigs, coating materials, adhesives, and known mylar is included in the kit, people need to realize that it takes a LOT of trial and error and experience to get diaphragms tensioned and coated in a way that will last a long time and stay stable at a desired bias voltage. It is basically an art form, and would not at all be a traditional electronics kit that you put together in a weekend and be done.

Only getting stator PCB's, it could still take months to years to get to the point of having really nice headphones. Just making sure everyone knows what they'd be getting into!

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,507 of 4,058
wakibaki in black humor mode? 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,508 of 4,058
I don't mean any harm by it. Probably a bit of frustration speaking there, but it's hard to pass an opportunity like that by. Once in a lifetime, you might say...

Here's the amplifier, txfrmrs, LT and EHT supplies. Still haven't turned it all on.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,509 of 4,058
You will see a few pages back that I have drawn up some PCB designs for stators and spacers. These are untested, but the likelihood of there being problems are small.

While I have made parts myself at home on my CNC mill, I know from the time and effort involved that no-one here is likely to take on producing these parts in numbers for customers here without it being a labour of love (i.e. ultimately a drain on the producer), or priced at a level which would to a degree obviate the putative advantages of DIY.

So I think the solution is to get these manufactured by a mass-production process.

Unfortunately, as some of you may be aware, I am having chemo for terminal lung cancer. I am far from dead, but I am very tired much of the time. Progress, consequently, is intermittent.

It will cost about U$110 to produce 5 sets of stators and spacers. Before post and handling the cost will be ~ U$22 per set. I can afford to front the cost, but I would prefer to have sufficient expressions of interest to cover the surplus items.

In the circumstances perhaps it would be better if someone else handled the transactions, I am happy to pass on the design files if anyone volunteers.

Some discussion about the design, particularly the mounting details, might be required, as requirements might vary.

Note that following Wachara's recommendation, I am focussing on the 100mm circular design, since suitable pads (at least to get you started) are available off-the-shelf from eBay.

From what I understand, food-grade Mylar and a range of household antistatics can produce good results, so a set of PCBs are the one really difficult item to obtain to get you going.

Fred

Fred,

You're a mensch. 

I'm interested. Count me in for a set if you decide to proceed.

When/If ready, PM your Paypal ID to me and I will send payment + shipping, immediately.

Best,

Keith

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,510 of 4,058
What, you mean, I shouldn't bother trying because the cancer will probably take me first? Thanks.

Hey. I think we all appreciate your efforts to an amazing extent.

If it's of any inspiration to you at all. Your countryman, Reginald Mitchell designed the Spitfire under the same circumstances.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,511 of 4,058
Just because something's an art form, doesn't mean that us ordinary folk shouldn't have a stab at it too!
Count me in Waki.
In the event you have trouble gathering enough interested parties, I'll take two sets.

My amateur daubing's will almost certainly take an aeon, and may inspire nothing more than nausea upon completion, but I'd appreciate the opportunity to accidentally produce a masterpiece, so I'd like to salute your efforts Fred.

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, I wish you well dude.

Your post inspired me to take a look at your website.
Much of the electronics goes over my head, but having read through your polemics and drugs pages I have found that I strongly agree with everything that you wrote
beerchug.gif

I plan to check that I also agree with the rest of your site, if I do I may even do you the honour of bookmarking it
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,514 of 4,058
I'm sorry that I can't help with arranging the GB.  However, if you need any of my designs, I'm more than willing to share them.  Just let me know.

Here are the detail measurements of my latest Float style headphones.

While getting the parts is only half of the process, please don't be discourage to try and explore the different techniques of tensioning and coating the diaphragms.  It will take sometime to master it, but I can assure you that it will be a very fun learning experience.  
wink_face.gif

Wachara C.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,515 of 4,058
Hi, I've been a longtime lurker on this thread, and believe I have most of the skills needed to build a pair of electrostatic
headphones; I've also been recently buying a few older, lower cost units from e**y, mostly electret units.
  If a group buy for the stators/any other parts were made available I would definitely be interested in a couple of sets ( my skills may not be quite as good as I would like and a spare is always useful. :)
  Going back to the electret sets I have ( Sony ECR500, Stax SR40, Maruni EH805) I am using them with a STAX SRD4, or SRD-7sb adapter, but find there is some imbalance with all the phones. I have checked with a scope that the imbalance is in the phones, not the energisers, so, I am wondering whether it is feasible to dismantle any of the capsules and replace the electret diaphragm with a 'proper' electrostatic one.
  I appreciate that I will have to rewire the phones, but is this a worthwhile exercise, or should I simply build new capsules?

Many thanks

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back