My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jan 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,966 of 4,058
sorry for more questions maestro!, which membrane coating, will stay on for 30 years or more and what can i clean the membrane with after applying the coating!!                                                                thank you again sir your stax are gold!!

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,967 of 4,058
  also maestro, can weak bass be a sign of  only using  washing up liquid as a coating on the membranes?? im gettin ok detail, but bass is weak any suggestions appreciated mate!! as in coatings tensioning , ps im in the uk!!
all the best  scotstax

I can't imagine weak bass has anything to do with the coating.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,968 of 4,058
The coating can cause weak bass when it has too much resistivity.  That means the diaphragm can't properly charge up.  You need to crank up a lot on your volume, but then the sound just isn't right.  So, yes, it could have been a wrong choice of coating material.

About the coating material that can last 30 years, I'm sorry that I really don't know. If anyone knows, please let me know too.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,969 of 4,058
I'm really itching to try to make a pair of really small, in ear, type of electrostatic earphones - similar to Stax SR002.  Does anyone have any experience on how they sound?

I can use my 3d printer to print the housing.  I'm thinking of 0.75 mm holes on the stators and 0.5 mm spacers.  I would like to use the amps I have which all have bias voltage of 580V.

It would be fun to try something different.  What do you guys think?  

Wachara C.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,970 of 4,058
the sr002 is absolutely the best thing on the planet for female voices.
something like it that's actually comfortable would be a winner.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #1,971 of 4,058
As long as you make sure not to fry your brain with the amp 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,974 of 4,058
I'm really itching to try to make a pair of really small, in ear, type of electrostatic earphones - similar to Stax SR002.  Does anyone have any experience on how they sound?

I can use my 3d printer to print the housing.  I'm thinking of 0.75 mm holes on the stators and 0.5 mm spacers.  I would like to use the amps I have which all have bias voltage of 580V.

It would be fun to try something different.  What do you guys think?  

Wachara C.

You mean like this? :wink:

I'll update within the week.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #1,976 of 4,058
hi wachara!!, or  as i call you the stax and diy statics maestro!!!! is my weak bass down to diagphragm tension coating ,i only had liquid soap also ive got to turn my srm3 amp up more but the quality is there bass quality is nice and mid are great , but again too much volume is needed  from the stax srm3 this wasnt like this before ....ps how you get your membranes as flat mate??? any other tips like membrane tension, etc i would appreciate very much as you are the only one who replies!!
many thanks stax guru!!

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,978 of 4,058
Hi scotsstax,

Please call me Wachara.  
L3000.gif

I think it is easier for you to just try to recoat the diaphragm with a better coating material.  If you can go to a computer store and buy a bottle of computer screen cleanser that has an antistatic property, chances are that it will work.  Tensioning a diaphragm to the right tension isn't easy.  You might have to do it many times just to get it right.  It takes a lot of trials and errors.  

I have suggested many times about my diaphragm tensioning technics.  Nowadays, I only use a wood frame with an inner tire to tension my diaphragm.  Something like this works well for me:

It takes a lot of trials and errors to tension the diaphragm to the "just right" tension.  

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back