My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 18, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,876 of 4,061
That is pretty extreme. Does that mean the sound will be altered too, especially the bass?

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,877 of 4,061
Yes, I really like the sound from that super ultrafilm when it works. The problem is that the film is really sensitive to temperature change. If you use it as the diaphram, you want to use thick spacers. Otherwise, your diaphragm will be very unstable. Even the heat from uour body could change the its tension.

Wachara C.

That's normal. And is the reason why commercially available options use somewhat thicker films - stability/reliability.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,881 of 4,061
No, in fact I mean just the opposite. The aluminum laminated Mylar has too low resistance.

Mylar with high resistance coating is much better.

Wachara C.

Sennheiser claims platinum vaporized diaphragms.
Eight pins connector.
Why? Some kind of negative feedback loop from the transducer to the amplifier?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,882 of 4,061
Sennheiser claims platinum vaporized diaphragms.
Eight pins connector.
Why? Some kind of negative feedback loop from the transducer to the amplifier?

I'm not sure about their diaphragm material, but I'm sure that you're wrong about the eight pins connector.  The HE90 connector on my DIY T2 is certainly only 5 pins.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,885 of 4,061
Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for a few weeks now and wonder if one of you experts can assist me with some advice.
I have been using Sennheiser HE60 electrostatic elements in a medical research project.
However as you all will know these elements are now unavailable and so this led me to discover this forum when trying to find out a little more about these devices
My opening questions are.

1). What are the HE60 stators coated in to make them conductive?
As the whole assembly seems to be made of plastic (including the screws) I assumed they were some form of conductive plastic as my Xray of the element only shows up the connecting tags (sorry can't attach the Xray picture as I am too new!)

2). Just how conductive do the stators need to be?
I notice that constructors on this forum seem to make them out of copper clad fibreglass pcb.
Do they need to be such a low resistance?
My project cannot tolerate copper coated pcb as the stator, I have to replicate whatever Sennheiser did. (or some similar 'radiolucent' material)

3). The usual fault with the HE60's is loss of output why is this?
Reading between the lines it sounds as though it is loss of polarizing voltage on the diaphragm as I don't see any mechanism for the stator going faulty.

4). Are there any constructors out there that can supply CNC machined 'blanks' for the replication of these (or other) elements.

Thanks in anticipation
Dave

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #1,886 of 4,061
Hi Dave,

I have a pair of HE60 as well. When I got it a few years back, it's not sounding very loud. All I did was to recoat the diaphrams with new antistatic cleanser, and the problem was fixed.

This is a rather typical problem with electrostatic headphones. Overtime the coating on the diaphragm losses its conductivity. Recoating normally fixes it.

Wachara C.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,887 of 4,061
Hi Dave,

I have a pair of HE60 as well. When I got it a few years back, it's not sounding very loud. All I did was to recoat the diaphrams with new antistatic cleanser, and the problem was fixed.

This is a rather typical problem with electrostatic headphones. Overtime the coating on the diaphragm losses its conductivity. Recoating normally fixes it.

Wachara C.

Does this happen to the Audeze LCD-X too?

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,890 of 4,061
Thanks for the confirmation Chinsettawong & AManAnd88Keys. I feel better already and coincidentally this is my 1000th post 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back