My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled
Nov 16, 2001 at 1:35 AM Post #46 of 1,001
oooooooooooh, Progressive music ! That went way over my head, hey sometimes Progressive is used as an insult
wink.gif

I have Dream Theater – A Change of Seasons, it's ok.

Nov 16, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #48 of 1,001
Hmmmm... since this thread discusses music which plunges the listener into the moody black antithesis of existence, has anyone heard the works of Steve Roach?

Although he has yet to pick up a guitar, what he evokes from "The Timeroom" never fails to stunningly portray the absence of self in perhaps the very deepest pool of personal reflection. This, in effect, is the essence of darkness. A place of truth... of nothing... yet which is somehow inexplicably greater than any comprehension of it. It is a humbling, intimate place.

I own Dreamtime Return, On This Planet, Structures From Silence, Soma, Strata, and The Magnificent Void. I recommend starting with Structures From Silence and Dreamtime Return. Combined with the personal nature of headphones, these works elegantly drift you through the candle-lit caverns of the human mind... ending within the very center of the void itself.

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:23 AM Post #49 of 1,001
If I remember correctly, I think PPL has said that he likes Steve Roach. I have never heard any of the music that you guys are talking about here, except for some Dream Theatre and other prog. I am definitely going to try out some of the darker albums suggested here.

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 1,001
Oops, sorry, bad information in the above post! Corrected now, but what it was, was the comp. that I was recommending that included Within Temptation was Beauty in Darkness Vol 5, not Unquiet Grave. I really liked this comp. Played the **** out of it when I first got it, then went and got (or already had) most of the artists that were featured on it: Dimmu Borgir, Therion, L'Ame Immortelle, Project Pitchfork, Theatre of Tragedy, Amorphis, Nevermore, Lacuna Coil, Crematory, Love Like Blood, Silke Bischoff, Within Temptation and...HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN? Tapping the Vein -- I highly recommend these guys (and girl). Their website is here. Album due out next year, but they have two EP's in the meantime. And even though it says the one is sold out, I know a source for them, so if you end up liking the one, I can get the other for anyone who wants one. At cost even. (I like 'em that much that I try and support them.)

To describe their music -- in the Curve/Garbage/Lennon/Nine Inch Nails/later Gary Numan vein, yet darker. Highly highly recommended.

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #51 of 1,001
Quote:

Tried to hear some Nightwish samples, but hard to find, many people who buy Gathering, TOT also buy Nightwish, which CD is best? Have been thinking about "oceanborn" but want to hear first.

I like Oceanborne the best if only for Walking in The Air (Original appeared on The Snowman, a children's christmas animated short film, but all the CDs are very good, you really can't go wrong, even with the live one. They have songs up on mp3.com, a decent variety, but I don't think they have walking in the air up there.

Quote:

Symphony X ? progressive metal? seems only CD easily available
is "v" but critics much prefer "divine wings" and "twilight olympus"
again hard to find any short samples to listen to, which is best CD

I have Twilight in Olympus and V, V is much better IMO but Olypmus isn't bad, they just aren't as well refined. I have Divine Wings of Tragedy only on mp3 and I would probably pay $50 for it if given the chance, it is just THAT good (Candlelight Fantasia is the song that got me started on that group). I introduced someone I work with to Symphony X, I let him borrow V for a day or so, and they became his second favorite group. They are fairly heavy on the progressive side, but excellent vocals, technical work, but easier to follow then DT (Which is Dream Theater), also some neo-classical, and IMO the dud on V, "Absence of Light" is still a good song, it just isn't extremely good. They have a distinct type of sound, and while they have clearly been influenced by DT, they generally sound a good deal different.

While I haven't found the new Therion CD yet, I do have most of the mp3s, it is similar to deggial in overall tone, but the vocals can be much more complicated, and are more interesting (But I preferred Deggial's very slow, methodic approach. It is definantly worth buying. If you are a first time Therion purchaser though I would reccomend Theli if you are more into thrash-like metal and Vovin for other, Deggial is just much harder to listen to, The Crowning of Atlantis has 2 really good tracks on it, the first one is one of Therion's best songs, the second excellent song on the CD is a cover of Seawinds by Accept, but done with female vocals and strings whereas Accept had a really crappy production with that song and it was just guitar of sound quality level of Metallica's And Justice For all.

rollman - yes, most of what we are talking about is metal, some is prog, and some (In my case) is new age
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you are interested in hearing some truly good symphonic dark/doom/whatever metal check out Vovin by Therion.

I started listening to Therion a few years back and I have gotten at least a dozen people seriously into them, sometimes people who don't listen to metal at all, you just might like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:37 AM Post #52 of 1,001
My god. I am going to have so many CDs to buy after x-mas, these crappy 128k mp3s will have to hold me over for a while. My x-mas list will have on the order of 30-40 CDs, not that I will get many but I will be able to be surprised somewhat
biggrin.gif

Within Temptation is awesome! I like this. A LOT.

Nov 19, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #55 of 1,001
Ok, made a few more used/new purchases, this is my total booty
since thread started and I realized I need more melodic doom/death/gothic metal for my collection..........BTW this is just a usual week's CD purchases for Dusty
very_evil_smiley.gif

Opeth - Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life, Blackwater Park - yes this makes complete set, can you tell I really like this group?

My Dying Bride - Release Swans, Angel & Dark River, Gods Sun - note to KR, I did not sell Swans after another listen becuase of mournful violins, the guy who plays violin is gone which is why I didn't care for Light at End of World CD I guess. This is slow to medium doom metal

Gathering - Mandylion, NightTime Bird, If Then Else

Therion - Theli, Vovin, Deggial

Theatre of Tragedy - 1st, Velvet Darkness, Aegis

Tiamat - Wild Honey/Gaia, Clouds

Tristania - Widow Weed, Beyond the veil

Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories

Amorphis - Elegy, Tuonela

Anathema - Eternity

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times - Dusty I must have "Icon" CD!

Some of these are on the way, some I have now and have listened to a couple times. These are melodic death/goth groups
and not atonal thrash, and many have female vox to counter the male vox which seems to be very effective for goth metal making great atmospherics. Anyone want to comment or additional info on any CD above?

Nov 19, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #56 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty I must have "Icon" CD!

I'm looking! Quote:

Anyone want to comment or additional info on any CD above?

Yes -- do you remember that commercial where a guy makes a "love mix" tape for his date, and then she gets to his door, and they sit down for dinner, and he starts it up, and death metal starts playing, but you can hear something about, "Let me tell you sweetheart, I've got to say 'I love you'..." etc. and she ends up digging it? Anyway, it seemed that when that commercial came out, everyone I knew went out of their way to tell me that that commercial reminded them of me. Did you get that a lot?
tongue.gif

No, seriously, let us know what you think...after several listens, of course. I'm still trying to gauge your tastes. Do you mind synths in your death metal? If not, then I really like Crematory. Very prominent synths.

Of the above list, I probably like The Gathering the best.

And you have to tell me what you end up thinking of Amorphis. If you like them, but you crave something a wee bit more complex, check out Katatonia -- Last Fair Deal Gone Down. A friend of mine prefers their previous album, but I haven't picked it up yet. I will though. Think doom metal with a touch of shoegazer. Doom-gazer? Metal-gazer? Also, a little bit proggy.

Do you like Curve? I've been listening to them a lot.

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:07 PM Post #57 of 1,001
I still say that ever single person who has posted in this thread seriously needs to get their cold dead hands on a copy of Cradle of Filth's Dusk...And Her Embrace. It is THE dark metal album. It's to dark music what Kind of Blue is to Jazz. Hell, there are tons of different versions of it as well
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:21 PM Post #58 of 1,001
Dusty
Somehow that yuppie chick in CD burner commercial doesn't strike me as goth/death metal afficianado......more like
Sugar Ray, Train and other MTV stuff.

Curve I would say is definitely Shoegazers, unless they changed styles from "doppelhanger" days.......I really like shoegazering bands and have been wanting to hear "come clean" CD to see how they have progressed.

You are right about Cemetary, got the last two CDs used from half.com this morning "sundown" "last confession" This band follows the familiar pattern starting as a thrashy death vocal
black metal band (ugggh!) and over the course of several CDs transform to melodic goth metal.....which is what I like! Sometimes the best CDs are right when they make this transition,
and still have some aggression alternating with melodic structures.

KR
COF, my initial impressions from listening to short 30 second samples is that they are too thrashy and too much death vocal
vs the more melodic progressive song structures of Opeth.
Is that impression correct, hard to tell from short samples?

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:41 PM Post #59 of 1,001
Quote:

COF, my initial impressions from listening to short 30 second samples is that they are too thrashy and too much death vocal

That could not be anymore wrong. Their newer stuff is more metal, and more thrashy, but not that album, it doesn't sound like anything anyone has ever done up to that point.

That have lots of female vocals (same woman who sings sometimes for Therion) They have Cello players and their current keyboard player is the same guy who left My Dying Bride. Their lead vocalist uses about 5 different signing styles. The song structure on Dusk... does not use the metal stle, but the Romantic Classical style, same thing with V Empire, hell they didn't start sound like a metal band until the Cruety album.

It's impossible to tell just how many tempo changes there is in a song from a tiny sound clip. The lyrics are hands down the best in metal, they have so much depth, that you can make a college course just for them.

Not just you, but everyone in this thread just own that album, even if they don't plan on getting anything else from them. Or if you must have only one dark metal album in your collection, that's the one to have, it's that amazing.

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #60 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Somehow that yuppie chick in CD burner commercial doesn't strike me as goth/death metal afficianado......more like Sugar Ray, Train and other MTV stuff.

Are you judging a book by its cover? Tsk tsk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back