My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled
Nov 9, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 1,001
COF (cradle of filth) are too extreme, too much fast music that becomes boring quickly for me, I need some melody and beauty to contrast the darkness.......that is what I like about Opeth so far, more CDs are coming......

Caveat.....don't have any COF CDs just going from short samples I heard which may be misleading.

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
COF (cradle of filth) are too extreme, too much fast music that becomes boring quickly for me, I need some melody and beauty to contrast the darkness.......that is what I like about Opeth so far, more CDs are coming......

Caveat.....don't have any COF CDs just going from short samples I heard which may be misleading.

Well, they have a lot of speed, but also a lot of instrumental and (at least on Cruelty) really beautiful music. I guess they are just good musicians that happen to play extreme metal.

You could also try Decoryah. Mi wife gave me "Wisdom Floats" last year and I like it a lot. The production is a bit muddy, but improves with an amp.

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 1,001
Quote:

COF (cradle of filth) are too extreme, too much fast music that becomes boring quickly for me, I need some melody and beauty to contrast the darkness

You should at the very least get Dusk...And her Embrace before giving up on them, trust me on this one. It so beautiful and dark, it's a must have for any fan of dark music.

Quote:

that is what I like about Opeth so far, more CDs are coming......

They are great, all of their CDs are good.

Quote:

I only have "Cruelty and the Beast". I gotta get more of their stuff. As for Santa Sabina, they sing in Spanish. And some of their material could qualify as "dark pop" a la The Cure.

I understand Spanish, and a few others (Most of the Romance languages and English, of course) so, it's all good
wink.gif

Quote:

And what's the title on that Mayhem DVD? Can you get it on VHS also?

DVD only, sorry. It was recorded in France. It's called "European Legions : Live in Marseille 2000".

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 1,001
Quote:

Well, they have a lot of speed, but also a lot of instrumental and (at least on Cruelty) really beautiful music. I guess they are just good musicians that happen to play extreme metal.

Dusk is 100x better than Cruelty, and I love Cruelty! Dusk is a work of art, without equal. If you can get the Japanese version which has three extra tracks and is printed using Japan's audiophile printing presses.

Nov 9, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 1,001
They are begining to arive, got this today at lunch, Vovin by Therion and gave it a listen:

What a beautiful collage of different musical styles, orchestral/choral/metal that really works and sounds great. This is real musical creativity at work here, beautiful contrasts and sweeping panoramas. I will definitely be getting CDs Deggial & Theli by Therion

KR you should be all over this group, if you have any intrest in classical music you will love "Vovin"

Nov 10, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 1,001
Sounds like Onix already covered Therion pretty adequately, and I concur with most of his findings. I don't think of them as neo-classical, but when I think of neo-classical, I think of stuff like Rachel's, so we may be talking about two totally different things.

Although you must eventually get all of them (Therion, that is), as even the early stuff is quite good.

Any other Sentenced fans here? I like them a lot too, in the same vein. Although every album is different, so I'm mostly talking about Amok, Down, and Frozen.

Another relatively unknown speed/thrash/death metal band which is completely underrated is Garden of Shadows. I have both Corona of Sunlight (I think that's the name of it) and Oracle Moon, and they are both excellent, and excellent sounding CD's. Mostly pummeling, they don't have the orchestral elements that a lot of these others have.

Going off topic here, but, DA, if you like dark lyrics, some of the darkest lyrics I've heard in a while is The Faint, Danse Macabre. Now the music is classic 80's new wave (Peter Schilling, etc.), but lyrically the content is as dark as any of the bands that we're talking about.

Also, there's a band that I just discovered called Black Heart Procession. Not sure how to describe them, but AMG has a term that I like called "Sadcore", like Low, American Music Club, et al. Bowed saw, too! There's something you won't hear every day (unless you're listening to a lot of them and Mercury Rev).

Hey, DA, if you like this stuff, then you should check out Amorphis. Especially the last two, if you can. Very melodic, though, and not as "metally" as most of these other bands being discussed.

Nov 10, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Hey, DA, if you like this stuff, then you should check out Amorphis. Especially the last two, if you can. Very melodic, though, and not as "metally" as most of these other bands being discussed.

Yep, Amorphis is very good. I have"Tuonela". But I would not call it gothic. Anyway, perhaps Dark Angel would like it too.

Nov 10, 2001 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 1,001
Here is what has arrived so far (with more on the way)

Opeth - Orchid, Morningrise, Blackwater Park
My Dying Bride - Gods of Sun, Angel & Dark River
Therion - Vovin

I love the Therion, what a surprise! I immediately ordered Theli &
Deggial........best way to descibe it doom metal Jesus Christ Superstar, melodic orchestral doom metal, divine!

Opeth is just what I was looking for, very complex, diverse, progressive and dark.......doesn't become predictable, music always takes interesting new turns. This is what makes them superior to typical death/doom metal outfit that has very narrow focus and becomes quickly predictable and boring. Waiting for MAYH

My Dying Bride has some good stuff also, but I prefer Opeth so far
as they seem to offer more complexity and variety of style. MDB tends to be relentlessly dark and heavy, while Opeth mixes it up more. I will definitely keep the two I have now, but may not add any more CDs. I really like the last track on "gods of sun" which
is "it will come" dark, heavy as lead and has massively huge soundstage, very impressive.

Will report more in detail later as more CDs arrive and I listen more to CDs above.

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #26 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
I have"Tuonela". But I would not call it gothic.

Neither would I, thanks for clearing that up. Hey, if you like Tuonela, I think you'll like Am Universum. And actually, if DA likes Opeth, Elegy might be a good choice, too.

I think I mentioned Katatonia, already, in another thread, perhaps, so I'll stop now. DA, please do report back. We need more of these dark threads. It's really very reassuring to be on a board where there's enough diversity and enough of a population that I can listen in on, and occasionally participate in, such threads.

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 1,001
and I thought I knew alot about music....I've not heard of one of those bands you guys are talking about. Very interesting titles though. I'm guessing from the thread that it's Metal
confused.gif

well, I have two metal albums in my 1000+ cd collection and they're both by a band from Sweden called Meshuggah. One is "Chaosphere" and the other "Destroy, Erase, Improve". I'm a drummer and what got me interested in this band are the unbelievably complicated time signatures that the drummer, Tomas Haake plays in. All sorts of weird odd time. 11, 17, 13 19/64....

Nov 15, 2001 at 1:36 AM Post #29 of 1,001
The darkness continues to fill my soul, I cannot resist. I have made more purchases of new/used Cds, here is where I am now:

Opeth - I love this group, just ordered "still life" which gives me
complete set of all CDs. When I heard "orchid" I couldn't believe this was their first CD, how could it possibly get better? Don't want to pick a favorite CD, they are all must haves. Endlessly inventive, contrasts are thrilling.

My Dying Bride - Don't like this group nearly as much as Opeth, they do have some good stuff will keep 2 CDs "gods of sun & angel and dark river" have put up for sale "release the swans" and "light at the end of world" as I don't care for these.

Therion - what a breath of fresh air, beautiful orchestral doom metal that soars to the heavens, have 3 CDs now:
-Theli
-Vovin
-Deggail
You will have to pry these from my stiff little dead fingers, not going to give these up.

Am currently listening to these groups, most combine male/female
vocalists, an effect which I like very much for doom metal.
-Theatre of Tragedy
-Tristania
-Paradise Lost

Nov 15, 2001 at 3:39 AM Post #30 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Opeth - I love this group, just ordered "still life" which gives me complete set of all CDs.

I had the same reaction when I first discovered them, which, ironically, was only several months ago. Quote:

Am currently listening to these groups, most combine male/female
vocalists, an effect which I like very much for doom metal.
-Theatre of Tragedy
-Tristania
-Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost, eh? Which one(s)? They're all very different. They range from very death-y (e.g., Gothic) to ... well, they almost reminded me of Duran Duran on the first track of their second-to-latest album, Host ("So Much is Lost"). Still recommended mind you, just...a little shocking. My favorites of theirs are still the middle period -- Shades of God, Draconion Times, Icon, the cover of ...what was it, "White Wedding"? I think...

Please to describe Tristania.

Already familiar with Theatre of Tragedy.

You ever heard of the Gathering (all femme vox) or Lacuna Coil (mostly femme vox, but some mix'n'match)?

Been listening to Mortiis a couple times. I like it, but...it's not at all metal. (Not that I wasn't warned.) The strongest point is the songwriting -- simply beautiful, gorgeous stuff, and this is where the metal background comes out -- definitely some metal elements in the songwriting. He really has an ear for the accessible, without going all out pop. I just wish the production was better -- sounds like a bunch of demos. Very thin. Very synth-y (being a synth-player, I like synths, but they have to sound good, and these sound a little...Casio). I would love to hear this stuff done by a real band, orchestra and choir (Within Temptation, anyone?).

Therion has a new one out, as well -- Secret of the Runes. No, I haven't found a copy yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back