My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled
Nov 15, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #31 of 1,001
Dusty you know me too well. Just ordered 2 Cds by group Gathering (forgot to mention above) discovered them by seeing that other people who bought TOT bought Gathering CDs
-mandylion
-night time birds

For group Paradise Lost I have CD "draconian times" and would really like to get "icon" but it is impossible to buy new/used anywhere.......why not sell me your copy? (he,he,he)

For group Theatre of Tragedy (TOT) I have CD "aegis" and just ordered CDs "velvet darkness" and "TOT" (1st CD).......you already know how cool this sounds, I love the juxtaposition of
female/male/death vocals and lovely atmospheric music.

For group Tristania I have CD "widow weed" and just ordered
"beyond the veil" sound is very similar to TOT (which is why I like it) with the atmospheric dark male/female vocal thing.

Heard short samples of Lacuna Coil but it didn't grab me.

I also really like the CD "wild honey/gaia" by Tiamat which I just got also, but I don't think I will get any other CDs by them, as I think this was their one great CD.

Nov 15, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #32 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty you know me too well.

Well, I wouldn't go that far (remember Usherhouse), but I am not averse to learning... Quote:

Just ordered 3 Cds by group Gathering

Excellent! I've had (and I kid you not) those exact three on infinite repeat, lately, in the multi-player in the living room. I listen to those three, because I already have How to Measure a Planet memorized, and I don't know these as well. It's my personal favorite, but it's spacier, so I expect you to like one of those other three the best. (I actually have one specific one in mind, but I'd rather not prejudice you.) Quote:

For group Paradise Lost I...would really like to get "icon" but it is impossible to buy new/used anywhere.......why not sell me your copy?

Hmmm...now that you mention it, I haven't seen that one lately...I wonder where it went. Will get back to you when I find it. Quote:

Heard short samples of Lacuna Coil but it didn't grab me.

Yeah, I don't like them as much (sort of a "poor man's Gathering"), but when you mentioned the juxtaposition of m/f vox, they immediately sprang to mind...as did Sky Cries Mary, albeit a bit less immediately. But that would be a different topic.

Nov 15, 2001 at 7:20 AM Post #33 of 1,001
Quote:

After Vovin which Therion CD is next to get, Deggial or Theli?

I know I am kind of late here, but Deggial is one of my favorte dark albums. Theli is much thrashier, and I like it, it is definantly an easy listen as far as Therion goes but still not for the feint of heart.

Deggial is much slower, more elaborate, and has real instrments, not synths. Sound quality is quite good although a bit compressed too, distortion only appears a time or two throughout the CD. The opening to Via Nocturna is sooooooooooooooo good. It starts with organ, adds some strings, and plays in a dark and mellow manner and then the heavy, slow, rythmic guitars kick in. I have mentioned them several times and noone noticed that I did I guess, as most people are surprised when they find another Therion listener.

Theli got me hooked, Lucid Dreaming I didn't like, and then Vovin came out. I was absolutely floored. Therion is one of my favorite groups.

Lacuna Coil is alright but has a very commercial sound which I generally dislike (Oddly I like Depesche Mode, I guess I like the singers voice a lot, and the songwriting isn't bad)

If you like Therion, here are my reccomendations, based on the idea that you are more open minded in music then most people
smily_headphones1.gif
, and no they aren't doom metal(None of them are), but rather a fair variety of stuff that is mostly metal.

Nightwish - Excellent metal with some gothic and symphonic sound, similar to The Gathering but heavier, their best song IMO is a cover of Walking in The Air which I have raved about so much

Royal Hunt - More like DT then anything else, but a good bit heavier, and perhaps a bit more symphonic

Skyclad - Good irish sounding metal (They are actually from England I think) that any open minded metal lover would probably like. A bit rough around the edges, but that is part of what makes em so good, and the fiddle makes it better.

Vangelis - new ageish modern classical, you have heard him before, and will remember when you hear the Chariot song (Which is like the defacto olympic song now) also did the soundtrack to Blade Runner, which was really good.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth - one of Tolken's books put to music. Perhaps a bit too epic and cheesy sounding for some, but once you get over that the music is impeccable

On Thorns I Lay - I haven't heard them before, but my first impression is something along the lines of a ... holy **** this is good!!!!! Real violins, female vocalist, somewhat reminiscent of softer Opeth and a bit of Therion with the use of Piano, but more sensual - really good stuff, highly reccomended. Yes, I am listening to different songs by them for the first time as I type this.

Symphony X - One of the best metal bands, period. Similar to DT again, but they have their own sound, a bit darker, can be harsher at times, technical skills are way up there, better singing, good use of synths, and excellent songwriting.

Switchblade Symphony - Somewhat industrial sounding, somewhat urban sounding, somewhat gothic sounding, female vocals, sometimes can be annoying, I can't really classify it very easily.

Evergrey - Somewhat more mainstream sounding metal (Barely) with, but more reminiscent of a power ballad type song, and male and female vocalists. Some of their stuff seems to be heavier and others more like piano + singers and a buildup to having guitar at the end.

Nov 15, 2001 at 1:00 PM Post #34 of 1,001
Xevion welcome.
Too late for Therion suggestions as I already now own CDs Theli, Vovin and Deggial.......am seriuosly considering getting newest "
secret of runes" I only wish I knew of them long ago, great stuff.

Of course I have all Switchblade Symphony CDs, can't pass on female vox goth group with excellent work, really like CD "serpentine gallery"

Tried to hear some Nightwish samples, but hard to find, many people who buy Gathering, TOT also buy Nightwish, which CD is best? Have been thinking about "oceanborn" but want to hear first.

Symphony X ? progressive metal? seems only CD easily available
is "v" but critics much prefer "divine wings" and "twilight olympus"
again hard to find any short samples to listen to, which is best CD

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #35 of 1,001
Quote:

Opeth - I love this group, just ordered "still life" which gives me complete set of all CDs. When I heard "orchid" I couldn't believe this was their first CD, how could it possibly get better? Don't want to pick a favorite CD, they are all must haves. Endlessly inventive, contrasts are thrilling.

You got almost all of them already? Damn that was fast, I told you they were special.

Quote:

My Dying Bride - Don't like this group nearly as much as Opeth, they do have some good stuff will keep 2 CDs "gods of sun & angel and dark river" have put up for sale "release the swans" and "light at the end of world" as I don't care for these.

My Dying Bride is Doom Metal, Opeth is Extreme Metal, I think now you see the big difference in styles. Doom metal is slow, dark, and depressing. It's all about emotions. Extreme Metal is much more technical and experimental.

BTW, Why did you like the 1st two MDB albums but not the other two?

Quote:

Been listening to Mortiis a couple times. I like it, but...it's not at all metal.

Which CDs are you talking about?

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #36 of 1,001
BTW, here's my current to get list, (I'm not including my Classical CDs I need to get, unless you want me too)

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Sigh - Ghastly Funeral Theatre
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Sigh - Scenario IV: Dread Dreams
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour
Opeth - Still Life
Ulver : Themes From William Blake's: Marriage Of Heaven & Hell
Ulver : Perdition City
Ulver : Silence Teaches You How To Sing (Ep)
Alan Moore/Tim Perkins : Highbury Working: Beat Seance
Vampyros Lesbos Sexadelic Dance Party CD
Apocalyptica - Cult

I have already ordered Mortiis - Smell of Rain, so that should be in soon. I also got the new Sigh CD, and it amazing! One of thebest abums of the year.

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #37 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
I know I am kind of late here...

Not at all, this is an ongoing discussion, please feel free to contribute. Quote:

...here are my reccomendations, based on the idea that you are more open minded in music then most people...

Right back at ya: Within Temptation! Get Mother Earth right now! I know it's kind of expensive (import), but you will like them very much. If you want to try before you buy, they have a track on the latest Beauty in Darkness compilation. Dark prog! Quote:

Nightwish...similar to The Gathering but heavier...

Will definitely be checking this out. Quote:

Royal Hunt - More like DT then anything else...

I presume you mean Dream Theater, considering they are on Magna Carta Quote:

Vangelis ...

One of my personal favorite artists. Have you heard the new one? Very ...um... militaristic. Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Which (Mortiis) CDs are you talking about?

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Smell of Rain is the only one I have. But I should modify my opinion -- it's much better than I grave it credit for. I listened to Project Pitchfork's new one, Daemonium (?sp), and it's a lot better than that, for example (and I like that one a lot!). I guess it depends on where you're coming from. When you come from a metal background, it's not as ... powerful as most metal. But the songwriting is so strong...

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
I already have How to Measure a Planet memorized.

That's a very cool album. I also have Mandylion. I am now looking for a Mexican band called ANTIQUA. I've read somewhere that they are a mix of metal, goth prog and easy listening
confused.gif
. That's something I gotta hear myself. And, hey, how could you not like Lacuna Coil? Have you seen Christina?.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 1,001
Onix
You are right about Cristina from Lacuna Coil, sweet little girl:
http://www.lacunacoil.it/photos/photosession/um04.jpg

KR
Yes, thanks for Opeth tip, I am big fan now. I didn't care for MDB
"swans" and "light" because there was not the variety or change of tempo/melody that "gods" and "angel" have which is why I liked them more. Swans/light CDs tended to be relentlessly slow and dark without much relief..........I getting depressed just talking about them!

More Lacuna and Cristina:
http://www.lacunacoil.it/photos/photosession/um05.jpg

Nov 15, 2001 at 6:13 PM Post #40 of 1,001
Quote:

Onix
You are right about Chrstina from Lacuna Coil, sweet little girl:

Lordy, lordy, lordy. Like Venus in leather. That reminds me, check a band called AXA, they have very good music and the singer is this amazing looking ravenhaired lady. They have some samples on MP3.com and their album is for sale at Amazon. The songs on that album are like more finished versions of those on MP3.com, but should gove you an idea on what they sound like. Go check their site also.

Nov 15, 2001 at 7:15 PM Post #41 of 1,001
Well, Onix talked me into another purchase, here is the Lacuna CD
I just purchased "unleashed memories":

$12.27 at cdconnection.com, not a bad price plus this sounds better than earlier efforts.

Nov 15, 2001 at 9:19 PM Post #42 of 1,001
Quote:

Tried to hear some Nightwish samples, but hard to find, many people who buy Gathering, TOT also buy Nightwish, which CD is best? Have been thinking about "oceanborn" but want to hear first.

Best place for samples is www.nightwish.com I am normally a prog rocker (bit lighter than what you listen to from the sound of it!)but I absolutely love this band. Best place to start with would be the latest which is wishmaster. I also got the live dvd "from wishes to eternity) and its absolutly stunning stuff live. Have far too many good tracks on that cd to pick out a favourite!!!!!!

Can you tell I like em?!

Nov 16, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 1,001
Quote:

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Smell of Rain is the only one I have. But I should modify my opinion -- it's much better than I grave it credit for. I listened to Project Pitchfork's new one, Daemonium (?sp), and it's a lot better than that, for example (and I like that one a lot!). I guess it depends on where you're coming from. When you come from a metal background, it's not as ... powerful as most metal. But the songwriting is so strong...

I should be getting this, anyday now, It's taking it's sweet time to get here, but the ways things are these days...

His other albums are a LOT different than that one, BTW. I mean totally different style and everything. If you love female vocals get Stargate, it sounds like the soundtrack to Lords of the Rings or something with angelic female vocals. As a matter of fact, I better put that I my list as well
wink.gif

Quote:

Yes, thanks for Opeth tip, I am big fan now. I didn't care for MDB "swans" and "light" because there was not the variety or change of tempo/melody that "gods" and "angel" have which is why I liked them more. Swans/light CDs tended to be relentlessly slow and dark without much relief..........I getting depressed just talking about them!

LOL!!! But, that's the whole point!! It's suppose to be depressing as hell. Anyway, you should try 34.788% Complete, I think you would like that one better, it should be more your style, plus the mastering is near audiophile quality. But, it sounds like a whole different band. You should find it cheap at Half.com or something.

BTW, what's prog?

Nov 16, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #44 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
His other albums are a LOT different than that one, BTW.

Yeah, I will definitely be checking his (Mortiis') others out. Quote:

BTW, what's prog?

Hahahahaha, you're kidding, right? (Wipes tear from his eye.) Uh, you're not kidding...(straightens out)...sorry, it's just that...prog, or "progressive" has such a stigma, it's hard for me to imagine anyone not having heard of it.

Progressive music -- I don't know how to describe it. This place (Rock of Gibraltar...) has a nice FAQ, but to try to define it shortly -- it's music that is complex, academically interesting, and intellectually stimulating. I like it because examples of it stimulate both sides of the brain, rather than just the emotional. Usually very dramatic, usually complex with unorthodox song structures, non-4/4 rhythms, literate lyrical references, extended suites, etc. Classic examples are Yes, later Jethro Tull, ELP, Rush, earlier Genesis (Peter Gabriel era and very early Phil Collins era). Contemporary examples include Dream Theater, anything on the Magna Carta record label, some Marillion (they don't like to admit they're prog, and, with their last album, Anoraknaphobia (?sp), they may have finally strayed into "neo-prog" territory, but albums like Brave, Misplaced Childhood, etc. are definitely prog), Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, et al.

Nov 16, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #45 of 1,001
Quote:

One of my personal favorite artists. Have you heard the new one? Very ...um... militaristic.

Nope, but will check it out when I get a chance
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back