My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled
Nov 23, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #77 of 1,001
I would get the remastered version just for the better sonics and for the Dean Martin cover!

Read this :

Frost's innovative nature led them to make what Kerrang! described as "the most avant-garde metal album that will ever be released." The album in question was "Into The Pandemonium", issued in 1987 to universal acclaim from the European rock press. Sounds raved: "Celtic Frost take their art seriously, without a single care for the boundaries of their genre." Kerrang! praised "Into The Pandemonium" as "the record which showed how experimental music could open up new horizons for metal".

Beginning with a startling version of "Mexican Radio" - originally recorded by obscure American weirdos Wall Of Voodoo - "Into The Pandemonium" is a truly eclectic work, its vast stylistic range incorporating strings and spoken-word poetry ("Tristesses de la Lune"), rap ("One In Their Pride") and even a death march which Tom intends to have played at his funeral ("Rex Irae [Requiem]"). A masterpiece, it was nevertheless created at a cost. "Never before or again have I put so much into an album," Tom reveals. "It was difficult beyond description. The title of the album really does describe its making. It is one of the most complex independent albums ever made, so extreme, but I am very proud of it."

Tom pays tribute to American guitarist Ron Marks for keeping the band together for the ensuing world tour. Marks joined Frost during the mixing of "Pandemonium" but was not credited as a full band member on the original release. Among the bonus tracks on the new version of the album is Frost's legendary cover of the Dean Martin standard "In The Chapel In The Moonlight". "All of us liked American swing music from the '50s," Tom explains, "and we were going to do 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' before Megadeth recorded it. We chose the Dean Martin song because its title sounded like something by Slayer. It's a spoof on the whole black metal thing."

Nov 23, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #78 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Alrighty, let's see if I can clear things up.

Everything's "...all but dead..."? Hmmm...I don't think so...I agree that the styles have been..."evolving"...but I think Dimmu Borgir, for example, has its roots firmly entrenched in death/symphonic/speed metal. If you want to continue to lump it under the "Extreme Metal" category, that's fine, I'll know what you're talking about, but...AMG doesn't seem to think that Death is dead. Not that AMG is the final say-so (check out "Mace" and "Machine" artist entries, if you want a laugh)...have yet to check out the brutal metal site... Quote:

(Directed at DarkAngel) Remember, we didn't think you would like Opeth because you at 1st you said you didn't wanted extreme vocals, and look what happen.

Well, one of the things about Opeth -- even when he sings "death-y", I can still understand him (if I concentrate, anyway). They aren't comical (to me) as they are with other bands. So even though I, too, don't usually like "death-y" vocals, I still like Opeth very much.

DarkAngel -- listening to Dusk and Her Embrace right now -- you will definitely like the music, vocals questionable. I have to agree, this is a standout album of theirs. I had previously lumped all of their albums under the above "comically death metal" category (and I still do, to the vocals), but I've been listening to this and Vempire...or, Dark Faerytales in Phallustein. Have not yet heard Cruelty and the Beast nor the new one (which gets my nomination as best album title of the year), Bitter Suites to Succubi -- anyone have any opinions as to where these fit in?

MDB fans -- check out the latest issue of Terrorizer magazine -- MDB contest!

Nov 23, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #79 of 1,001
Quote:

Everything's "...all but dead..."? Hmmm...I don't think so...I agree that the styles have been..."evolving"...but I think Dimmu Borgir, for example, has its roots firmly entrenched in death/symphonic/speed metal. If you want to continue to lump it under the "Extreme Metal" category, that's fine, I'll know what you're talking about, but...AMG doesn't seem to think that Death is dead. Not that AMG is the final say-so (check out "Mace" and "Machine" artist entries, if you want a laugh)...have yet to check out the brutal metal site...

Dimmu Borgir has nothing to do with death metal. They came from Black Metal, added symphonic to it and you have Dimmu. The vocals doesn't sound like death metal at all, Black Metal is and always was anti-death metal. Just hear the vocals and drums, that's black, not death. Their new one is really cool, BTW.

AMG is only good for a laugh, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Quote:

Well, one of the things about Opeth -- even when he sings "death-y", I can still understand him (if I concentrate, anyway). They aren't comical (to me) as they are with other bands. So even though I, too, don't usually like "death-y" vocals, I still like Opeth very much.

Opeth took the Swedish death metal style and combined it with Prog and you get Opeth. Notice how the vocals are deeper than COF or Dimmu, both of which have their roots in Black Metal NOT death metal.

Quote:

DarkAngel -- listening to Dusk and Her Embrace right now -- you will definitely like the music, vocals questionable. I have to agree, this is a standout album of theirs. I had previously lumped all of their albums under the above "comically death metal" category (and I still do, to the vocals), but I've been listening to this and Vempire...or, Dark Faerytales in Phallustein. Have not yet heard Cruelty and the Beast nor the new one (which gets my nomination as best album title of the year), Bitter Suites to Succubi -- anyone have any opinions as to where these fit in?

Since I just love COF, I have everything they have put out, including the demos! I better post a mini quickie review of all of their albums in a different post. But, before I do that, Death Metal vocals are always deep growling cookie monster sounding type of thing, I hate that ****! Yet I like Opeth, go figure! Dani's vocals on Dusk.. is a complete 180, no one screams like that, nor could they. It does take some time to get used to them since you wouldn't had heard anything like it ever. But, the more you listen to it the more you will understand why he uses each style and when, if you read along with the lyrics and follow the music itself, it will make perfect sense. This music thoery was taken right from Opera. Remember that's all one guy, expect for the lovely female vocals, which make for such an amazing contrast. Also notice how the songs are structured like Romantic Classical music instead of metal, even though they are playing metal. Everytime you hear it, you will discovered something different.

Nov 23, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #80 of 1,001
Cradle of Filth – The Principle of Evil Made Flesh
This is their first album. The production values are pretty bad next to the rest of their albums, but it’s not too bad. The vocals are a lot different than any of their other albums, as Dani uses true black metal vocals here, which are bleak and harsh. The albums has lots of instrumental tracks, which help set the mood quite well. Female vocals are used a lot and even a cello in one track. There are a lot of great songs here. Historical note, this was the album that started the current wave of romantic extreme metal.

Cradle of Filth – V Empire
This is their 1st EP. Takes off where the 1st album left off but with great production values and all new vocal styles which sounds a lot different than the 1st album, and better lyrics. The songs now take a more epic feel to them, Queen of Winter Throned is practically a whole album in and of itself. This is one of my favorite CDs in my whole collection.

Cradle of Filth – Dusk and Her Embrace
COF now take the whole romantic vampire epic style to it’s extreme with this album. The vocals are even more extreme than on V Empire, the lyrics are even better, and so is the music. This album is a work of art and must have for everyone into this style of music. This is my favorite CD in my whole collection.

Cradle of Filth – Cruelty of the Beast
After, the last album COF decided to change directions. The songs now use metal style structures instead of classical music structures like the 1st three albums. The vocals are tone down a bit and different from the 1st three albums. The is concept album, loosely based of the life of Elizabeth Bathory, or her legend anyway. The keyboards however, are done in a more refined classical style instead of the romantic style they were using before. Still very epic due to the concept format, but most of the haunting magic of the 1st three albums are gone. But, it does return for the track Bathory Aria.

Cradle of Filth – From the Cradle to Enslave
This is their second EP. Made up of mostly covers and two new songs. The two new songs are a lot different from anything they have ever done up to this point. As they are more metal than ever before. The covers are cool, as it includes a Misfits cover and a cool doom metal cover. The production values are really far above their other stuff with this EP.

Cradle of Filth – Midian
The violin player from My Dying Bride joins the band starting with this album. The songs are much more catchy than ever before, killer guitar work, but the epic, haunting sound of old is completely gone. The keyboards have this cool Chopin thing happening with them, the vocals are much different as you can understand what he’s say now much easier than before. The production values are as good as the From the Cradle to Enslave. We almost get more female opera style singing in this one (duet and background), as well as male opera singing as well, (background only). Even more cello work, too. The actor who plays pinhead in the Hellraiser does spoken word for many tracks, which is a nice touch.

Cradle of Filth – Bitter Suites To Succubi
This is their 3rd EP. Not as head banging as the last released. The songs slow down a bit here. A few covers of their songs from the 1st album and even a very cool Sisters of Mercy cover, so you get to hear them play a real Goth song for once. I really love the cover of their early song Black Goddess Rises as well, as it features great cello work and amazing female singing. This is the easiest release to get into for someone that has never heard this style of music.

Nov 24, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #81 of 1,001
Magic 77
Why do you say "used" to be a fan of King Diamond/Merciful Fate?
have you changed your mind?
very_evil_smiley.gif
I have heard a few things by them but don't have any CDs......what do you recommend and who do you compare them to? Didn't this dude
wear some silly face make-up?

KR
Well I ordered used copy of COF "dusk" from Half.com ($5.50) but I really don't think I'm going to like it, in which case I will resell for little cost to me. From the samples the lead singer has high pitched screachy voice I think will annoy me.......but I will try because >>This album is a work of art and must have for everyone into this style of music. This is my favorite CD in my whole collection.<<

Good job on COF overview.

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #82 of 1,001
Dark Angel,

I have to say "used to" because my taste in music has changed in the last few years. I listen to mostly Jazz,(Avant-Garde Jazz,Free-Jazz and of course Miles Davis.

I "was" a major Heavy Metal fan for many years. King Diamond & Mercyful Fate were always my favorites because of their great songwriting and musicianship. They are not your so called "Rock Stars". The music is very serious. Yes, King Diamond does still wear makeup,it's part of his act.

But, I do get in the mood to hear some Metal every now and then.

It's hard to compare them to other Metal bands because I always thought they were the most "original" Metal band out there.

Recommendations: King Diamond: "Abigail" or "Them". Mercyful Fate: "Time" and "In The Shadows"

Check out the official King Diamond & Mercyful Fate website at:
www.covenworldwide.org

Nov 24, 2001 at 2:20 PM Post #83 of 1,001
Magic
I think you are right that I need some Mercyful Fate, and after checking samples purchased two used Cds from half.com. I went
old school however preferring "melissa" and "don't break oath"
these are the remastered versions. Diamond sounds a lot like
Rob Halford from Judas Priest with tremendous range capable
of very high notes! Level of musicianship does seem to be very high.

Amazing how much good music was going on the 1980's. I am constantly discovering new groups from that period that escaped my music collection and picking up good used copies. Life is good!

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #85 of 1,001
Dark Angel,

Yes, "Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath" are also excellent choices. They are definitely the most "Evil" of the Mercyful Fate recordings. The "In the Shadows" CD is the same lineup as these 2 CD's except for a different Drummer. I aslo mentioned "TIME" by Mercyful Fate from 1994,which I think is one of their best and heaviest.

You really got me back in the mood to listen to these CD's again!

Nov 24, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #86 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Well I ordered used copy of COF "dusk" from Half.com ($5.50) but I really don't think I'm going to like it, in which case I will resell for little cost to me.

Well D.A. if you don't like it I'll buy it from you, but I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it. As for Mercyful Fate, I'll say that their best works go only as far to "Time" (MF) and for King Diamond that would be perhaps "The Spider Lullaby". From then on, they just sound the same, with not a lot of points of interest to me. BTW, a funny thing happened to me the other day, I dounloaded a sample from Emperor, "Gypsy", and for a moment I thougth I was hearing old Mercyful Fate. I guess noboby is that original anymore.

Nov 25, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #88 of 1,001
KR - You really didn't give many good power metal suggestions.

Good power metal groups include: Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Nightwish, Dragonheart, Luca Turilli, Sonata Arctica, and Angra. (Nightwish and Angra are less power-metalish)

Power metal is generally faster metal, but with vocals more like progressive metal, almost always clean, and oftentimes having harmonies. Lyrics are often fantasy medieval age based (Rhapsody is a really good example of this, so is Luca Turilli to a lesser extent). The sound is fairly unique, and powerful, but from group to group you can hear many similarites. 2 guitars playing simultanteously and interacting in a non soling manner can be common and very interesting (Dragonheart does this very well). The best part of power metal is the singing, the choruses just fit in with the powerful, fast guitar (Usually well played, often in a galloping style). I would reccomend Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth to start with, it is an extremely good CD based on a Tolken book.

Well, I guess there are two schools of power metal, the more serious "normal" type like Gamma Ray and Stratovarious and the fantasy based Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, etc.

The fantasy style ones are much better IMO. The lyrics are usually horribly cheesy (Not Manowar bad, but still pretty bad), but the music itself is just so damn cool.

DarkAngel - my favorite song would have to be Via Nocturne on Deggial, it is the 10th track. It starts off with a darkish sounding organ, some strings kick in, and then the guitar, slow and galloping, almost power-metal style but darker and slower, and then the vocals. And then the rest of the song plays and all is good.

And noone is saying anything about Symphony X. Someone should at least download an mp3, they are extremely good.

Nov 26, 2001 at 1:41 PM Post #89 of 1,001
Xevion
You seem to really like those "fantasy" based metal acts that have epic/progressive type song structures about demons,warriors, castles, dragons etc. I don't own any of those
groups you mention, not really household names and I seem to like gothic/dark type music more.

I can tell you the latest Therion CD " secret runes" is a complete succcess, probably sounds closest to 'theli" continues same style
every track is good. I am extremely impressed with Therion CDs
"theli, vovin, deggial, and secret runes" this is just beautiful music.

When are you going to get an avatar for this site?

Nov 26, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #90 of 1,001
Dark Angel,

Let me know when you get your Mercyful Fate CD's. Maybe we can get a thread going about King Diamond & Mercyful Fate.

Youv'e got my curiosity about Therion. I've heard of them, but am unfamiliar with their music. what can you tell me about this band?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back