my dad sais i'll be deaf when i'm 30
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #31 of 46
We kid about this, but there are some important things to consider here. There is a great deal of research and experience that does link loud sounds to hearing loss. Hearing loss does not necessarily mean that you lose all your hearing - more likely, you will lose high frequency hearing with the loss beginning at about 3K hz or so. If the loss is mild, functioning is not too impaired, maybe not hearing conversations in busy, loud rooms, such as restaurants, bars, and other crowded places. And that does not even include the impact of tintinnis (sp?).

Now this is complicated by the fact that the effect of exposure to very loud sounds does not show up for some years. It is easy to ignore at the time.

I think that the OP was smart in raising the issue.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Writing or typing?
2) The "D" in dad does not need to be in capitals.
3) And I think you may be missing a semicolon after the word dumb.

So what's your eyesight?

BaaaZZZIIIInnng!!

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 46
I like to blast my music about once a day. But its only for 2-3 songs and then I turn down the volume considerably. Really low, its why having these nice headphones so great isn't it? Being able to enjoy your music, and hear all the detail without having to destroy your ears with excessive volume, right?

That and I notice if you listen to music at really low volumes, your ears get used to it to a point where it seems to be normal or pleasant listening volume anyways.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #34 of 46
Maybe it is because I am getting older but listening to music at a loud volume for over a song or two gives me headache.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 46
I have tinnitus and some hearing loss, but I got it from tmj. When I yawn it changes from a high pitched noise to low buzzing sound. I can hear it sometimes over certain types music and it sucks
frown.gif
, it is not that loud though. When I'm outside, it's completely masked. So some other advice would be not to grind or clench your teeth at night.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That and I notice if you listen to music at really low volumes, your ears get used to it to a point where it seems to be normal or pleasant listening volume anyways.

Exactly!
If you use low volumes your ears adapt to it and I believe you are actually starting to hear better (a little). So you're not just educating your ears to safer volumes but also to hearing slightly more detail. If you're using one sense and "paying attention" to it you enhance it a little. That's why painters see better and musicians hear better.. because most of the time they are exercising their senses. Of course this depends on age and there are exceptions and limitations.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because i'm using my headphones all day long when i'm home.
he sais they are to loud but i'm 100% sure they are not bacause i can still understand people when i'm istening to music with my DT770.

my music has a lot of bass, i think hearing (and feeling) bass makes other people think its to loud.

any opinions about this?

WHAT !!! SPEAK UP , CAN'T HEAR A WORD YOU'RE SAYING!!! Well, now that I have that silliness out of my system, I will make a comment & offer some advice. First, if someone can hear the bass output leaking from your DT770s you may have the volume high enough to cause some hearing loss as this is a closed back set of HPs that have a pretty good seal. As to feeling the impact of the bass in your music, your ear will adjust to a lower volume output & you should feel the impact of low frequency response. The important thing to remember is that hearing loss occurs gradually, it is not immediately recognizable,because the ear drum is trying to protect itself by shutting out loud decibels whether we want it to or not. Keep this in mind. If given the choice of feeling a little less "bass impact" now or having a permanent hearing problem later,that was preventable, should be a no brainer. Hearing loss will impact your life much more than how you will enjoy your music as you get older. (I know, I probably sound like your Dad, but he has a good point here).

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 46
Any idea what the set volume is of the iPod dock's line out? It seemed a bit loud at first, but my ears got used to it.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #41 of 46
speak up - I can't hear you!

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #42 of 46
i mean he thinks the music is to loud when HE IS WEARING my headphones..***

and i can still understand what people are saying when music is playing........my music cant be that loud right?????????

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your Dad thinks you'll be deaf soon and I can tell from your writing you're already dumb so how's your eyesight?
evil_smiley.gif

Deaf Dumb Blind album with Clawfinger ? Hope you meant that, If not. You are a hippie
icon10.gif

popcorn.gif

EDIT: to be more serious. I orderd me a spl meter today from radio shack. Think im playing too loud.so will be interesting to see how im playing

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 46
I understand a regular hair-drier will hit about 80dBs SPL. Which is okay for long listenages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back