My Custom-2's bit the dust :(
Feb 10, 2011 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maxnight1189

New Head-Fier
As the title says, about a week ago my Klipsch Custom-2 IEMs all but died.  They sorta sound like theyre underwater, with this very strange mid-to-high filtering effect going on.  Looking back, Im surprised it took this long, as crappy as that cable was.  I already tried to clean them (there was this time in Turkey, you see, when I freaked out cuz I thought I had broken my new IEMs...and then I learned about earwax X( and sometimes if I get the cable just right I can sorta fix the problem...anyway, the point is Im looking for some replacements (and hopefully upgrades, since it appears the Custom-2's werent well-liked...) for less than $120 US.

So, after lurking around head-fi for the past week or so, reading almost all of the reviews from joker's thread and all but hijacking apendleton's thread about replacing his broken buds, Im considering the following:

>RE0 or SW-XCape - Seem to be a favorites sound-wise and the prices are right too. Ive heard some qualms about their build quality though, and after my previous experience Im a little cautious and would prefer something thats gonna last me 2+ years without having to carry them around like they're glass.  Also, they're rather plain looking, but I could certainly get over that if they win otherwise :wink:

>Thinksound Rain or Munitio Teknines - Seem to be relatively well-liked and sturdily built and the prices seem good. Also they're pretty.  That said, people seem to feel they lack clarity and are extremely bass heavy.  While I certainly do listen to alot of bass-y Pop, Hip-Hop and electronic music, I also listen to ALOT of classical music.  So how would that on these compare to my old Customs?  "Sparkle" sounds like something I would like but since my only experiences are Bose In-Ears and the now-dead Klipsch's, Im not sure I know what Im talking about...

>FA Eterna - Havent read all that much about these but joker rated them pretty highly and theyre relatively cheap so Im still considering them.  From what I have heard though, these could be alittle too bass-y also.

Of course, if I had the money (meaning "if I could convince my mother to spend the money") Im pretty sure I would have gotten the DBA-02's a couple days ago and been done with this, but $160 is just too much.  Ive looked at the Triplefi's too but they have the same problem :frowning2:

Anyway, what do you guys think?  Anything I should be considering that Im not?  Do you have any answers to my questions about bass-y-ness and/or build quality? Know of any good sales?  Anything you could offer would be awesome!

Thanks
-Andrew

Edit: Also worth noting is that I do not intend to amp whatever I get.  I like always having my music on hand (so the past few days of silence have been driving me CRAZY!) and I just dont see myself carrying around an amp in addition to my iPod classic and IEMs.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Keep in mind that Re0s break often. They are not the best for build quality. Many people here have had that problem, yet people who rave about it rarely mention it.

The thinksound ts02 should be much better in terms of build (AVOID THE RAINS--at least until 6 months down the road when the new, stronger cable that is already in the ts02 comes to the rains). You might actually like the ts02 quite a bit for classical and acoustic music, it's a surprisingly good match.

Good luck with mom!

Maybe do some chores and save up? Then, ask mom to go half and half. That was my strategy!

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Durability + sparkle = Etys. MC5 would be well under your budget, and they have loads more sparkle than the Custom 2s.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 9
First, thanks mark2410 for resurrecting this thread, to be honest I kinda forgot about it...
Anyway are there any specific reasons you're recommending the PL-50s?  From what I could find they're rather middle-of-the-road sounding and while they are "good for the money" Im willing to pay a little more if I can get a better sounding set.

How do the MC5's compare bass-wise?  I think Im in for the whole sparkly-analytical thing but I dont want to give up on bass altogether if I can avoid it.

Edit:  Also thanks to Kunlun for being the only person to respond initially :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 9
well forst off i say dont get the mc5, they are cack.

as for saying the PL-50, you dinidnt seem to be unhappy with the KC2  and the PL- are a touch better with a great cable, great fit, and isolate well.  it ticked all the boxes you need and its cheap too

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks Mark, thats exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for.  And joker said pretty much the same thing about the MC5's over in his monster of a thread so I guess those are out (sorry jleewach).  Well, I suppose he was alittle nicer about it...

Anyway, Ive found a pair of Super.Fi 5 Pro's in the FS forum though, for $80 and am eyeing them quite intently.  How do you think these would compare to the PL-50's (and the Custom-2's)?  Joker said he felt they were sorta "dark" sounding.

Again, thank you all so much for your insight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back