My Corda 2Move arrived today! :P
Mar 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #91 of 224
yes, i had the same problem with the in/out jacks and also double check everytime in plug into it. it feels like they are recessed a bit from the casing so you really have to push hard to get the plug all the way in. furthermore, when used in a portable rig, my line in will pop out 1/16th of the inch or so if jostled too much. not a dealbreaker but a touch annoying at times.

still have to figure out this battery thing though. right now, i'm afraid that back cover is going to fly off at any minute due to the pressure against the rear of the battery.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #92 of 224
Quote:

yes, i had the same problem with the in/out jacks and also double check everytime in plug into it. it feels like they are recessed a bit from the casing so you really have to push hard to get the plug all the way in. furthermore, when used in a portable rig, my line in will pop out 1/16th of the inch or so if jostled too much. not a dealbreaker but a touch annoying at times.

I raised this concern with Jan Meier (very responsive, by the way), and here is what he suggested:

Quote:

The jacks should be slightly recessed in the faceplate to prevent excessive pressure on the jacks when inserting plugs.
However, I have found that sometimes the PCB is a little bit too large and thereby the jacks are too recessed.

If you're a little bit handy, then you may try "shorten" the PCB yourself. Simply open the amp as described in the manual and remove the volume control dial. Now you should be able to remove the faceplate and "cut" the PCB with a sharp knife. It is not really a difficult operation but it requires the proper tools.

Re: the battery door, I'm with you. It appears to be a common issue. It's a bit impractical to carry a pair of pliers with you to change a battery if you're traveling. I would prefer not to have to carry a leatherman with tape wrapped around the jaws as a part of my traveling rig to facilitate on-the-fly battery swaps.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #93 of 224
IM BACK!
biggrin.gif

Used my 2Move as DAC for some time now, and im still surprised how its just getting better and better
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #94 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrg242 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
furthermore, when used in a portable rig, my line in will pop out 1/16th of the inch or so if jostled too much. not a dealbreaker but a touch annoying at times.

I'm getting this as well. If there's any wiggle in my interconnect at all, it pops out about 1 mm. The problem is worse with any right angle plug as they can shift side to side slightly. Straight plugs are probably OK, but most of us use right angle interconnects to maintain a lower profile.

That problem could be a dealbreaker for me, and I really don't plan on cutting a PCB on a brand new amp.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #96 of 224
Yeah, me, too (!). Between the battery size issue and the cable connectivity it seems like there are too many annoying quirks that need to be ironed out. For those who have complained about these issues...what is your bottom line assessment: are these issues dealbreakers for future buyers or just little quips that you wish did not exist, but do not really substantially affect the functionality of the unit?

I'm in the market for a modest small amp that has a built in DAC so I can use it with my new laptop...was going to go this route, but now am not so sure. I mean, I read the rather detailed and very helpful user manual with the 2move written by Jan, and even he addresses these two issues, battery and cable connectivity. Does not seem like these issues should exist at production. Maybe an iBasso D1, D2, or total bithead instead? (Pico is outside of my budget).

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #97 of 224
I noticed the slight issue with the jack sockets. When I took the circuit board out to change the gain, I filed off a very small amount from the edge of the circuit board, and now the board sits perfectly. The jacks are only just recessed from the front plate and the plugs are now very secure. The other effect that filing the board had was that the battery door is now easier to close.

I also changed the o-ring for a slightly fatter one and the volume knob is now nicer to use.

All of these were very minor issues and only took about 5 minutes to sort.

Overall, I am very happy with this amp and the sound quality, whether from my ipod, or the USB connection, is excellent.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #98 of 224
Thanks Hingy. Good perspective...appreciated.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #99 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have complained about these issues...what is your bottom line assessment: are these issues dealbreakers for future buyers or just little quips that you wish did not exist, but do not really substantially affect the functionality of the unit?

The kicker is that otherwise, the 2Move is well built and sounds very good.

The battery issue is no big deal, as I think just a few brands of 9 volts would give you issues. RayoVacs and regular Duracells seem fine.

My jacks are not recessed, they are just a little hard to plug into it, and they allow plugs to creep out. Oddly, sometimes when my plug creeps out, I don't lose sound on one channel like I would expect, but the sound gets slightly tinny and weak on both channels.

I suppose totally securing your components and interconnects could help eliminate that issue, but I've never had to go to those extremes before.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #100 of 224
Thanks wolfen68. Sounds like this issues are quirks that are not such a big deal, but may be more of an issue for some depending on the battery they use and the cables they use...I still think that with a product that is done and out there, I'd rather not read about these types of issues at all when shopping and may instead try and different product. Chances are they all have some tradeoffs regarding one thing or another as nothing is perfect and in the grand scheme of things, at this level, for products catered to this audience, they are all superb. thx again.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #101 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kicker is that otherwise, the 2Move is well built and sounds very good.

The battery issue is no big deal, as I think just a few brands of 9 volts would give you issues. RayoVacs and regular Duracells seem fine.

My jacks are not recessed, they are just a little hard to plug into it, and they allow plugs to creep out. Oddly, sometimes when my plug creeps out, I don't lose sound on one channel like I would expect, but the sound gets slightly tinny and weak on both channels.

I suppose totally securing your components and interconnects could help eliminate that issue, but I've never had to go to those extremes before.

I wonder though if it is just an isolated issue of a few 2Moves or much more of them has this problem?

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #102 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by KTamas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder though if it is just an isolated issue of a few 2Moves or much more of them has this problem?

I'm sure that if you email Jan, he will be happy to discuss this with you.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #103 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think that with a product that is done and out there, I'd rather not read about these types of issues at all when shopping and may instead try and different product.

The way I see it, battery, chassis, plugs etc etc etc I can deal with....... but I've yet to see a single person complain about the sound quality. That's the key part to me.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #104 of 224
Fair enough, and Meier has a strong rep on many counts...I'm "just sayin'" that I'd rather not read, including in the manual, that there could be functional issues with battery and cable connectivity. It seems incomplete, but whatever, it's not a biggie and folks who have the product here have indicated as such, so "sounds good" to me.

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #105 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hingy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that if you email Jan, he will be happy to discuss this with you.

Yeah, I just did it, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back