My Corda 2Move arrived today! :P
Feb 17, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #76 of 224
Here are a few photos of my newest portable audio rig. The case probably exceeds the need but it cradles the 2Move as if it were made for it. Mini is velcroed to the top of the amp and fits under the lid with just the slightest bit of pressure (no slop). The ALO Audio Au/Ag LOD is also accommodated and protected from unnecessary strain, and a pair of SE530s fits nicely to the right. Alright, it's not particularly lightweight, however, it is well protected.

Some observations on the 2Move system: First, I am listening to a variety of types of music, including acoustic jazz, female vocals, rock and alternative. Artists include Joshua Redman, Holly Cole, Steely Dan, James Taylor ad Dead Can Dance. All files are uncompressed AIFF, ripped from CD. Second, after playing around some with the settings, I settled on high current, low gain.

I love the character of this amp/headphone pairing. Bass is rock solid and near pitch-perfect. The mids are absolutely hair-raising at times (probably the best quality of this rig. The highs vary by music selection, making it difficult to determine whether the result is due to the system or quality of the recording. At times HFs can sound a bit thin and unconvincing; at other times they are very good, though somewhat warm sounding. I would have to attribute this more to the headphones than the amp, since the highs are much more pronounced with my Ety ER4s.

My amp still has relatively few hours on it so I expect its character to evolve. I'll keep the team posted as this occurs.

Overall, the amp is well designed and built (like a veritable brick outhouse). I do have a few nits to pick, however. First, the amount of pressure required on the amp back plate in order to enable closing the latch is very high. I found I needed almost needed three hands for this operation, one to securely hold the amp, the other to exert pressure on the battery compartment door and a third to turn the latch. In the end, I ended up wrapping a healthy amount of tape around the jaws of a pair of pliers and pressing/turning at the same time. Second, the input jack does not do a particularly good job retaining the line-in connector on my LOD cable. For my tastes, I would prefer more clamping force on the connector. Finally, as Jan Meier indicates in his instructions, you need to be very careful when putting the amp back in its case after resetting current/gain. The screws have very fine thread and the naturally non-self-lubricating nature of the case's screw bosses makes reassembling the case a bit tricky. Got it done without incident, though I was concerned about the potential for crossthreading.

On the subject of customer service and product value, I must say Jan Meier is amongst the best I have encountered: Great communication, outstanding speed of delivery and excellent value for money. And this, despite the fact his products are built and shipped out of Germany. One cannot ask for more!

In the end, I must say this is the best sounding portable rig I have had. I'd be interested in feedback from other 2Move owners.

P.S. -- Please pardon the thumbnail images. I really need to learn from a more savvy member how to embed larger photos in my message.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #77 of 224
I ordered a 2move the other day, still waiting on delivery.

What do you all think about the customizable settings? What have you found works well with lower impedance cans (gain and current for cans under 100ohms)? Specifically 770s and all grados.

What do you think about crossfeed? Do you find yourself using it much?

Sorry for all the questions, just excited to get my first actual HP amp!

Thanks

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #78 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think about crossfeed? Do you find yourself using it much?

Got my 2Move yesterday and I have to say it sounds excellent out of the box. I much prefer it to the Pico I just auditioned. It sounds so similar to my SR71 they're hard to tell apart.....I guess that's a good thing.

I also had a question on crossfeed. I've heard crossfeed on a Headroom amp, and didn't like the warm mushy effect it created. On the 2Move, I can tell almost no difference between crossfeed on and crossfeed off. I'm wondering if it's broken?

Others are correct...that battery door is sure hard to close...very tight fit. The jacks also don't have that nice positive "click" when you plug connectors in...so I constantly wonder if they're in all the way and try pushing harder.

The o-ring on the knob is a good idea...but it doesn't work all the way. It just spins sometimes because there is not a good grip. More impressions later....but this is a nice little unit for the price.

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #79 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I much prefer it to the Pico I just auditioned.

Very interesting. Do you prefer amp or DAC section?

Which HPs have you paired to 2Move and Pico?

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #80 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Do you prefer amp or DAC section?

Which HPs have you paired to 2Move and Pico?

I use a optical to a MicroDac...so I'm not too interested in USB DAC's. However, good amps are always interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

I was using RS-1's to test the amp sections of both units.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #81 of 224
Quote:

I also had a question on crossfeed. I've heard crossfeed on a Headroom amp, and didn't like the warm mushy effect it created. On the 2Move, I can tell almost no difference between crossfeed on and crossfeed off. I'm wondering if it's broken?

That's what I thought at first, but I played with it for about an hour and you can tell the difference when the channel separation is really big, like when you hear something directly beside you, it will bring it to the front a little. I personally don't prefer it because to me it seems like it blends the instruments a little too much on some* songs, but its nice to have.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #82 of 224
The other strange thing I noticed is that when using a line in, sound continues to come through the amp to the headphones even when it's OFF....I've never seen that before
confused.gif

You can hear the preamp signal (albeit quiet and tinny), then you turn on the 2Move and it just makes it louder.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #83 of 224
For whoever's interested, Jan Meier's helpful responses (in quotations) to my questions:

I notice the amp lets (some) sound to the headphones through the line in input even when it's OFF. I've never seen that before, is that normal?...

"When turned off the amp acts like a high-ohmic resistor and
some of the signal from the source is passed to the headphone.
This is normal operation and is nothing to worry about."

I'm having trouble hearing the crossfeed mode do it's thing, should it be more obvious?...

"Connect to your computer and set the balance in your
media-player to one channel only. The effect will now be very
obvious."

The back door is hard to lock all of the way shut....

"On the turning mechanism there is a small rubber "feet". You
may try to reduce its height. Do not remove it completely
though, as this will make turning the "bar" very difficult."

The rubber o-ring on the volume pot slips enough that it is hard to turn on and off....

"Maybe there is some fat (oil) on the ring that makes it slippery.
Cleaning the volume knob and ring may help."

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #84 of 224
This thread's been quiet lately. I guess that means all of the 2Move owners are too busy listening to their new amps
smily_headphones1.gif

I've noticed these can be a little finicky on battery fit. Some batteries are just plain hard to fit in there. I have been so far reluctant to make the modification that Jan Meier suggested above. Duracell "Procells" on the other hand are just a hair shorter than some other brands and don't make contact with the spring terminals properly when you shut the case. You can tell somethings wrong because the back plate closes easier than usual, and then nothing happens when you try to power up.

Battery terminal contacts with more "spring" height would fix this issue, and make the back plate easier to close on other batteries. My low tech answer was to put several layers of masking tape on the back of the battery to increase it's length.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #85 of 224
Quote:

I guess that means all of the 2Move owners are too busy listening to their new amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine is waiting for some new phones to power, I think they should be here tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

With the battery thing, I used an energizer and boy was it sure hard to get the twist thing vertical, but I haven't had a chance to try other brands.

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #86 of 224
Has anyone compared the Corda 2move with Ibasso D1? How would you describe the difference in sound? From reading around I get the impression Corda 2move has a slightly warmer sound, is that so?

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #87 of 224
has anyone gotten a feel yet for how long a new 9V battery should last in the 2Move? i popped in a new Energizer and took a 6 hour bus ride (after meddling the battery cover for a good 20 minutes). was pretty sure i turned off the unit when i got off the bus. tried to power it up for the bus ride back and it got all distorted after 20 seconds of play and the volume died out.

6 hours seems really low. i assume when the usb dac is in use, it will route power from the usb and not keep draining the battery, right?

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #88 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrg242 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone gotten a feel yet for how long a new 9V battery should last in the 2Move? i popped in a new Energizer and took a 6 hour bus ride (after meddling the battery cover for a good 20 minutes). was pretty sure i turned off the unit when i got off the bus. tried to power it up for the bus ride back and it got all distorted after 20 seconds of play and the volume died out.

6 hours seems really low. i assume when the usb dac is in use, it will route power from the usb and not keep draining the battery, right?

Battery is 9V (8.2-9.6) in high current mode, USB is 5V. The amp will automatically choose the higher current source. In high current mode, the specified battery runtime is about 40 hours, in low current mode about 100 hours.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #89 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrg242 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Supposedly it runs 40 hours in high current and 100 hours in low current mode. I've been burning mine in for the last week, and to do so I collected all of the old 9volts around the house to burn them off first. Mine's in high current/low gain mode and I've been surprised that these batteries were going dead pretty quickly (but then again they were half used batteries).

Yesterday I put in the first all new battery for regular use....I'm curious to see what happens as I'm a little suspicious of it's battery life now.

BTW....150 hours of burn-in made a difference I'm sure I can hear (for the better).

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #90 of 224
I was still having problems with the loose O-ring on the 2Move's volume control. I went to the hardware store and picked up a 35 cent #4 O-ring (which is smaller than the stock one). I stretched it on and now the fit is perfect (and it looks just like the original). Problem solved.

My last remaining niggle is the input/headphone jacks. On all of my headphones/cables, pushing the 1/8" connector into these jacks is like trying to push a nail through a crack between two boards. There is no feedback (such as a "click" or a sudden firm stop) that tells you the connector is in far enough.

I've had several times now that the sound doesn't sound right, then upon inspection find that the headphone is not plugged all of the way in (by about a mm or less). A final push sets things right, but it always feels like I have to push too hard. I find that I now check visually everytime I plug something in, which is kind of a hassle.

Otherwise, the 2Move has been very impressive. I'm comparing it soundwise to an SR71 and a Predator...and it's holding it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back