My Beyerdynamic Dt770 pro 80 ohm don't have bass
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rees8448

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi community. I purchased a pair of dt770s about a month ago and I love them. I burned them in for 100 hours with white noise and I pair it with a 18v cmoy that also runs off of a 24v dac. I mostly run the headphones out of my integrated sound in my four year old PC. I usually stream from spotify or listen to 320kbps quality songs from my personal music collection. These headphones are definitely a major upgrade over my previous vmoda Crossfade LP headphones.

The problem is I'm not getting all the bass that I hear so much about from these headphones. I actually get just as much bass from my senheiser cx500 ear buds with memory foam tips, maybe even more bass. I actually posted this problem on the headphones subreddit on Reddit, and they seem to think that my cmoy was not powerful enough to run these headphones and that I need more power to get the bass. I was under the imppression that the power from the amp only affects the quality of the bass not the quantity. I thought the the amp would make the bass tighter and more accurate, as well as make the volume louder. Am I wrong with this information?

Basically I am looking for a solution to my bass problem. My amp gives plenty of power in my opinion, my listening level is at 33% of what the amp can put out. I purchased the cans from wwbw.com, could I have gotten a fake pair? I know the quality of spotify music is quite bad, but my cx500s Get decent bass from spotify.

Sorry for the long post everyone, the only reasons I can think of for my bass problem is fake pair of dt770s or a crappy old soundcard. I am still very ignorant when it comes to this stuff though and I'm trying to learn more. What do you guys think?

**Edit**
Sound card: integrated sound (changed info above)
Cmoy amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846899329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3209wt_1139
DAC: Shendk-0302
Programs: spotify or itunes

I have a splitter in the audio port in the back of my computer (the front one is all static) and one end is used for my speakers while another is for my headphones. I have a long 3.5mm cable from my old vmodas running from the splitter directly to my cmoy. The DAC says 24v on it, and I asked the seller before I bought it and he said he has to order them from china because there is no 24v DACs around here. I guess I fell into that one. I didn't know that my sound was integrated either so I guess I will have to upgrade that. But I am still curious as to why my cx500s get the same amount of bass or more from all the same equipment.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hello Head-fi community. I purchased a pair of dt770s about a month ago and I love them. I burned them in for 100 hours with white noise and I pair it with a 18v cmoy that also runs off of a 24v DAC. I mostly run the headphones out of my stock Asus sound card out of my four year old PC. I usually stream from spotify or listen to 320kbps quality songs from my personal music collection. These headphones are definitely a major upgrade over my previous vmoda Crossfade LP headphones.
The problem is I'm not getting all the bass that I hear so much about from these headphones. I actually get just as much bass from my Sennheiser cx500 ear buds with memory foam tips, maybe even more bass. I actually posted this problem on the headphones subreddit on Reddit, and they seem to think that my cmoy was not powerful enough to run these headphones and that I need more power to get the bass. I was under the impression that the power from the amp only affects the quality of the bass not the quantity. I thought the the amp would make the bass tighter and more accurate, as well as make the volume louder. Am I wrong with this information?
Basically I am looking for a solution to my bass problem. My amp gives plenty of power in my opinion, my listening level is at 33% of what the amp can put out. I purchased the cans from wwbw.com, could I have gotten a fake pair? I know the quality of spotify music is quite bad, but my cx500s Get decent bass from spotify.
Sorry for the long post everyone, the only reasons I can think of for my bass problem is fake pair of dt770s or a crappy old sound card. I am still very ignorant when it comes to this stuff though and I'm trying to learn more. What do you guys think?

Tell us the make and model of the Asus sound card?
Model of the cmoy headphone amplifier?
model of this "24v" DAC?

Have you tried plugging the DT770s into the cmoy and the cmoy into the Asus sound card?

What program are you using to play music with the Asus sound card?

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hello head-fi community. I purchased a pair of dt770s about a month ago and I love them. I burned them in for 100 hours with white noise and I pair it with a 18v cmoy that also runs off of a 24v dac. I mostly run the headphones out of my integrated sound in my four year old PC. I usually stream from spotify or listen to 320kbps quality songs from my personal music collection. These headphones are definitely a major upgrade over my previous vmoda Crossfade LP headphones.
The problem is I'm not getting all the bass that I hear so much about from these headphones. I actually get just as much bass from my senheiser cx500 ear buds with memory foam tips, maybe even more bass. I actually posted this problem on the headphones subreddit on Reddit, and they seem to think that my cmoy was not powerful enough to run these headphones and that I need more power to get the bass. I was under the imppression that the power from the amp only affects the quality of the bass not the quantity. I thought the the amp would make the bass tighter and more accurate, as well as make the volume louder. Am I wrong with this information?
Sorry for the long post everyone, the only reasons I can think of for my bass problem is fake pair of dt770s or a crappy old soundcard. I am still very ignorant when it comes to this stuff though and I'm trying to learn more. What do you guys think?
**Edit**
Sound card: integrated sound (changed info above)
Cmoy amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846899329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3209wt_1139
DAC: Shendk-0302
Programs: spotify or itunes
I have a splitter in the audio port in the back of my computer (the front one is all static) and one end is used for my speakers while another is for my headphones. I have a long 3.5mm cable from my old vmodas running from the splitter directly to my cmoy. The DAC says 24v on it, and I asked the seller before I bought it and he said he has to order them from china because there is no 24v DACs around here. I guess I fell into that one. I didn't know that my sound was integrated either so I guess I will have to upgrade that. But I am still curious as to why my cx500s get the same amount of bass or more from all the same equipment.

DAC: "Shendk-0302"?
The only listing I can find for the Shendh-0302 is an 24 volt AC-DC power adapter, not a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
So I'm guessing you should be using something like " 24V volt AC-DC power adapter" and not "DAC"
I'm assuming when you say Asus sound card, you really mean you have an "Asus motherboard with built-in audio".
I would think the cmoy would be able to easily power 80-Ohm headphones.
It also could be that the audio output jack (Green?) on the back of your computer is defective and not putting out enough juice?
and then using a splitter also half the juice between your speakers and the cmoy.
or the jack is just fine and I'm making wild guesses.

If your will to spend $55 on a used Xonar DX (PCI-E) or D1 (PCI) sound card, it will have a way better DAC then the one built into your motherboard.
You can connect it to the front audio jack on the front of your computer case and us it for the cmoy/DT770.
And have your speakers connected to the line-out jack (green) on the back panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back