My Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 dont like high volume?
May 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

juked

New Head-Fier
Well hello there.

I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80. They play really well on low-mid- mid/high, but when I hear some good tunes, and what to crank up the volume, the DT770 really sounds like some 10$ cans playing on high volume on an amplifier. And the bass is also good on low-mid/high,but it really dissapears and sound ugly on high volume.
My old Sony MDR-V700 plays without problems on highest volume

At first I used them on my X-Fi elite pro connected to my computer, and i tought it might be the soundcard limited, so i bought Fiio E9 (wich i hook up the back of the soundcard).
They immediately sounded much better, a larger sound image. But then again, when i turn up the volume, the DT700 dont like it at all, still sounds like som cheap cans bought on a lokal grocerie store. I have my computer volume on max, and the volume on Fiio E9 is like 2/5, if I go any higher, the ugly sounds begin. If i connect my Sony cans, my ears bleeds long before they. I mean, I can almost turn the volume on the E9 to max before they sound crap.

So is it really the DT770 that dont like high volume, or do I have to play them "in", or are they just broken?

May 5, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 21
Didnt quite understand your question mate, but it goes like this:
DT770 -> Fiio E9 -> X-Fi -> Foobar2000 -> Flac/320kbps mp3. 
I did try to lower the bass on the computer, but didnt play mutch higher.

On X-Fi, im using entertainment setting, and 2.1 speaker. With everything off ( EAX, CMSS-3D ....)

May 6, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 21
There is a gain switch on the back of the E9, on low gain it should be fine for the 24-Ohm Sony MDR-V700J
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm should work better on high gain.
Sell off the X-Fi Elite Pro and get the Titanium HD.
You might benefit from a sound card with a better DAC (Titanium HD).

May 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 21
Im taking the DT770's to the local Hi-Fi store today, to try them on with some high quality equipment.
If it is my soundcard that is not enough, will I still need the E9 if I go for the Titanium HD?
Cheers.

May 7, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 21
my dt 770 80 i had didn't sound too good at high volumes either, their volume range was small compared to other headphones like the hd 650s which can be pushed to crazy deafening loud volumes with no distortion whatsoever.

May 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
Im taking the DT770's to the local Hi-Fi store today, to try them on with some high quality equipment.
If it is my soundcard that is not enough, will I still need the E9 if I go for the Titanium HD?

I do not know how good the headphone amplifier on the Titanium HD is (maybe no external amplifier is needed), but I would recommend the E11 or O2 instead of the E9 for a 80 Ohm headphone.

The DT770/880/990 series is known not to handle very high sound pressure levels well, and distort easily at excessively high volume. Although listening that loud is not recommended anyway, these headphones are not the best choice for those who prefer very loud music.

May 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I do not know how good the headphone amplifier on the Titanium HD is (maybe no external amplifier is needed), but I would recommend the E11 or O2 instead of the E9 for a 80 Ohm headphone.

The DT770/880/990 series is known not to handle very high sound pressure levels well, and distort easily at excessively high volume. Although listening that loud is not recommended anyway, these headphones are not the best choice for those who prefer very loud music.

As quoted. If you wish to deafen yourself, use the 600 ohm version (and haha there's none for 770Pro). The damping factor would work nicely.

May 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks for answer guys.

At the Hi-Fi store, I did try the DT770 with an tupe amp (Argon HA2 to be correct), im not an audophile, but I do think they sound much better. I googled around for info about the Argon HA2, and it seems like it's crap, and made of cheap components (that's what the reviews stated). Argon is almost only scandinavian brand, and getting some good info was useless (im from norway my self).

I've read alot good about the O2, but i'm no good in soldering so making it myself is no-good.
So should I keep my soundcard, return the E9 and get an O2 instead? Where can I buy it, like in one piece?
And why do you really recommend the O2 or E11 instead of E9? Isnt the E9 better than both?

I dont really want to spend anymore money, at first I was only going to buy good headphones to replace my MDR-V700, and then it went to the amp.
Because I originally was to spend only about 200$, and now with the amp, Im up to 520$. And I do not want to spend more....not yet lol.

May 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've read alot good about the O2, but i'm no good in soldering so making it myself is no-good.
So should I keep my soundcard, return the E9 and get an O2 instead? Where can I buy it, like in one piece?

In Europe, the O2 is sold pre-assembled by Epiphany Acoustics (UK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by juked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And why do you really recommend the O2 or E11 instead of E9? Isnt the E9 better than both?

The E9 has relatively high output impedance, which reduces the bass quality of the DT770-80 slightly. It is a minor difference, though, so if you already have the E9, it is perhaps better to save the money.

May 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
I do not know how good the headphone amplifier on the Titanium HD is (maybe no external amplifier is needed),

The Titanium HD can decently drive Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm headphones,.
So the 80-Ohm should be no problem.

May 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
Thanks for answer guys.
At the Hi-Fi store, I did try the DT770 with an tupe amp (Argon HA2 to be correct), im not an audophile, but I do think they sound much better. I googled around for info about the Argon HA2, and it seems like it's crap, and made of cheap components (that's what the reviews stated). Argon is almost only scandinavian brand, and getting some good info was useless (I'm from Norway my self).
I've read a lot good about the O2, but I'm no good in soldering so making it myself is no-good.
So should I keep my sound card, return the E9 and get an O2 instead? Where can I buy it, like in one piece?
And why do you really recommend the O2 or E11 instead of E9? Isn't the E9 better than both?

I don't really want to spend anymore money, at first I was only going to buy good headphones to replace my MDR-V700, and then it went to the amp.
Because I originally was to spend only about 200$, and now with the amp, Im up to 520$. And I do not want to spend more....not yet lol.

What do you use your computer for?
Music? Movies? Gaming?

Anyway the O2 (Objective 2) seems to get lots of positive reviews.

May 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

In Europe, the O2 is sold pre-assembled by Epiphany Acoustics (UK).

The E9 has relatively high output impedance, which reduces the bass quality of the DT770-80 slightly. It is a minor difference, though, so if you already have the E9, it is perhaps better to save the money.

Since I bought the E9 online, I can turn it back within 14days and get full refund.
Quote:
The Titanium HD can decently drive Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm headphones,.
So the 80-Ohm should be no problem.
How good a quality of amping? (at least better then the X-Fi Elite)
The Titanium HD's better DAC over the X-Fi Elite should also help the sound quality.

So in conclusion:

I retur the E9, buy E11 (then i can use the DT770 with my mp3 also) If not it is the O2 I should go for?
And I can get the Titanium HD for a good price used also.

E9 = 276,1 USD
E11 = 137,18 + Titanium HD = 155,3 = 292,48 USD.
Hum, Significant RF leakage from DC-DC converter into output
Got this from the http://www.head-fi.org/t/556783/fiio-e11-review-and-comparison-e7-amp-section-only

So, do you think this would be the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back