My baby is here!!!!
Nov 4, 2001 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 57
You guys are the best. Thanks to all of you.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #32 of 57
Onix,

Congratulations! It is a great experience and only the beginning. My 14 month old son is beginning to become curious about daddy's hobby/obsession. So far, he likes the Beyer 250-80 over the Senn 580...for dragging around the house!!!

Regards - reynman

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #33 of 57
Yeah, congrats Onix!

Nov 4, 2001 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

. My 14 month old son is beginning to become curious about daddy's hobby/obsession. So far, he likes the Beyer 250-80 over the Senn 580...for dragging around the house!!!

I remember when the little guys were finally able to get at 'dads stuff".That included everything AV,remotes,the dreaded AC outlets.
First thing I did was to check the entire house for "if I was a curious toddler,what would draw my attention".Top of the list is COVER EVERY POWER OUTLET WITH A COVER !
Then I had to scootch the actual electronics closer to walls and do some serious wire management.Even worse was the DREADED KITCHEN.What is it about the kitchen that draws these alien creatures we call babies ?
TOTAL REORGANIZING JOB.
But there are some things you just can not move/change without making your entire life a mess,that is where the one word that we all hate becomes way over used.The word NO.
Yeah you feel like a real ****heel when you say it and you get "the look".That look is a slight quiver of the lip,a tearful look of the eyes,and put together makes you feel like you did something wrong.
NO YOU DID NOT (though you still are made to feel badly)
It did not take long for the "no,that is daddies" to take.Instead of me being made to feel like a bad dad the new look became "so just what CAN I play with dad? ".That is where the ever present stash of baby toys comes in.First they must be noisy.That is an absolute.Then the toy must do something,have some motion ,some knobs,some controls (just like dads ****,hehe).And most important-YOU GOTTA ACTUALLY PLAY WITH THE CHILD.
None of this"here is a toy now go play",that just will not work.These aliens DEMAND you pay attention.The rewards will be justified down the road (though it becomes hard to tell when they hit the teens
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
I would have folks over and they would comment on how much of my "stuff" was in harms way and how did I manage to trust my "mini mees" not to do damage.They just could not understand the concept of trust with a small human that could not even speak yet,at least not any language known .
The "no,daddy's" was not something I had to even reinforce unless something new came into my home.We all knew what was belonging to who and what was acceptable.
But being who they are,they gotta test you.They will reach towards a thing the KNOW is out of bounds,look you right in the eye,smile and seemingly say "I know I should not do this,but man,I just HAVE TO give it a shot.So what's it gonna be pops ? I wear you down yet "
All you can do is laugh.Then put on your dad face and say
"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT"
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #35 of 57
Congratulations Onix,

May you and your wife share the joy your child (ren) will bring! They truely are a blessing.
I have 5 and not 1 regret.
I'll sell you a baby manual for cheap - yours didn't come with one???
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #37 of 57
Congratulations Onix!

The funny thing about these forums...somebody starts a thread "My Baby is Here" and my first thought was that someone had gotten a new headphone amp...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #38 of 57
Hirsch: LOL!

Congrats again, Onix.

Nov 7, 2001 at 3:12 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Congratulations Onix,

May you and your wife share the joy your child (ren) will bring! They truely are a blessing.
I have 5 and not 1 regret.
I'll sell you a baby manual for cheap - yours didn't come with one???
biggrin.gif

Please Todd, send me the manual. I knew we left something at the delivery room, and now I remember what it was. So far I have just been able to find that my baby requires a constant supply of diapers and the use of a rubber milk plug every 3 hours or so. But man, he sounds great!!!

Nov 7, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Congratulations Onix!

The funny thing about these forums...somebody starts a thread "My Baby is Here" and my first thought was that someone had gotten a new headphone amp...
smily_headphones1.gif

It's more like a new set of tweeters
wink.gif
. Thanks Hirsch.

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:39 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42

But there are some things you just can not move/change without making your entire life a mess,that is where the one word that we all hate becomes way over used.The word NO.
Yeah you feel like a real ****heel when you say it and you get "the look".That look is a slight quiver of the lip,a tearful look of the eyes,and put together makes you feel like you did something wrong.

Ha! My son (2 in January) doesn't even bother with that. He just smiles, gets a twinkle in his eyes and thinks, "Oh yeah? Come and make me stop." He's a sweetheart most of the time, but he sure knows how to push mommy and daddy's buttons when he wants.

Onix: Congrats...just wait until the little guy starts to develop a personality and can communicate in terms other than crying or asleep. And don't worry - he'll only be pooping 8 times a day for a little while...although, enjoy the period now when the poop is not so stinky. And please, please, please, make sure to read to him every day and play music for him (as though you wouldn't).

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:57 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

And please, please, please, make sure to read to him every day and play music for him (as though you wouldn't).

Funny you mention that.On the job training meant I learned with each child and with my third son that is what I did while he was still in the womb.I read to him,sang to him (not pretty man) and played music.I am not talking about from ten feet away but right at him,like inches.
And you know what ? He recognized my voice immediately after being born,really.I said something and the little guy turned to my voice over all others in the room as if my voice were the most important.
And as far as music goes,he is the most into the actual music than the other boys.He can't seem to sit still or not tap a foot when a song comes on that he likes,it is never background noise for him.
And of course he is also the son that I caught at age 9 listening to headphones and sitting on a speaker to get more low bass,the kind you feel and not hear.But the little @#$%#$ blew two sets of speakers so far and he is only 12 !
Yeah,the rewards are great but you have to put in the time.
Oh yeah-never,never,never,ever break a promise,never.If I think I may not be able to do a thing I say "I will try" but if I promise then IT WILL HAPPEN ! You only get one shot at total trust,doubt should never creep in.

Rick,proud pappa and resident nutball

Nov 11, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #43 of 57
Kids and music - gotta do it!

My parents wouldn't let us touch the stereo, but they did get us a portable record player (old tube wonder - the Seaford V) and a box of 45s. When you're 6, Puff the Magic Dragon, Purple People Eater, The Marvellous Toy (Chad Mitchell Trio), etc. are great records. The Chipmunks are even funny at that age. And when you get bored with them, you switch the platter to 78RPM and all those EvaTone (remember those "film" records?) become "Chipmunk" records.

Why, if it weren't for my early musical influences, I wouldn't have grown up to be the well balanced person I am now....

Nov 12, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #45 of 57
Hey rohorn,do "Blue Cheer-Summer time Blues" at 78,if you don't fall down laughing I owe you a beer (****,I think i do anyway.Awright,two beers
biggrin.gif
)

And Onix , I do envy you man ,the ride is just starting and a good one it is.I have no doubts as to what your child (children,you are not done yet ) will be,they take after dad and they will do just fine
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HEY ! YOU THERE MAN ? WAKE UP DUDE !
Hehehe,good thing I learned how to function on no sleep (courtesy of Uncle Sam) before the "little darlin's" arrived or I may have been a snarly ******.Would do maybe two to three hours per night then go bang nails all day.
biggrin.gif

Only hit my thumb once
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back