My Audio Technicas fell apart, any suggestions for new phones?
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

coolhandlukeboy

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I have used Head-Fi for years to increase my knowledge of headphones and to figure out what I might like. This is my first post, so thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am at a bit of loss right now about what to do. I was very happy with my ATH-AD900x headphones, but they let me down right after my two year warranty expired--of course. The wing broke on the one side, then the whole ear fell apart a few days later (it's all plastic with screws attached to more plastic)

I don't want to invest in this headphone again if it's only likely to last a couple years. No, I didn't drop them, they were on a stand most of the time and never left my house, nor really even left the computer room I have.

I really, really liked the soundstage on those headphones. I see that there is an "upgrade" to the 1000 series by Audio Technica, but looks to be the same build quality.

I still want open-ear headphones, and I want a decent soundstage if possible.

I was looking at the Hifi man 400 series (i or s, I don't know much about planar), but also saw people complain about build quality there. I have wanted the HD600s for some time as well and could spring for those, I also was looking at the Phillips X2 Fidelios. I have a large head, so something that isn't too restricting is best.

I mostly use these headphones for listening to music, movies and I do gaming a lot with headphones while the kids sleep. I am not a basehead and didn't mind the ATH-AD900X's base (I did mind the 700 series lack of bass though, as if there was no bass registering at all).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Edit: I have a DAC Xonar soundcard on my computer, and I have this amp: Nobsound NS-08E Vaccum Tube Amp. That amp added the extra warmth I wanted for my 900x headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Fidelio X2 is an excellent choice! Don't need an amp and it'll have some refreshing bass. Soundstage is great and it's definitely one of the better gaming headphones!

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Fidelio X2 is an excellent choice! Don't need an amp and it'll have some refreshing bass. Soundstage is great and it's definitely one of the better gaming headphones!

That's great to hear! Soundstage is very important for me and I like what I have read. Sadly, they look very hard to find at the moment...no idea why. Nothing new on Amazon, I hope they are just temporarily out of stock.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 8
The HE400S would be a nice choice if you are not looking to purchase an amp, which would be required for the more brightish HE400i, which does require an amplifier in order to properly drive. The soundstage on the HE400S is very good. I own both the 400S and 400i and I would not say that build quality is poor--I believe that is a myth. My 400S is almost 2 years old and has been used extensively and is in excellent condition.
As for the HD600 and HD650 (I own both), they have more intimate soundstages which may not be optimal for gaming. That said, both are outstanding for music, you just would have to add an amplifier to the mix, as both need amplfication in order to properly drive. Tonally, the 600 is brighter on top and more rolled off below, the 650, warmer on top and more robust down low (more like the 400S overall).
All told, of these four and given your list of particulars, I would think the HiFiMEN would be the better choices. If you want something that is able to play straight out of a phone or ipod, then go for the 400S. If you are thinking amplifier, then the 400i would be a good option. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Although the HD 600's are very good headphones they have a very small soundstage. I like the HE-400S a lot as they have a pretty decent soundstage and are just a touch warmer than the 400i's with a bit more bass.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
The HE400S would be a nice choice if you are not looking to purchase an amp, which would be required for the more brightish HE400i, which does require an amplifier in order to properly drive. The soundstage on the HE400S is very good. I own both the 400S and 400i and I would not say that build quality is poor--I believe that is a myth. My 400S is almost 2 years old and has been used extensively and is in excellent condition.
As for the HD600 and HD650 (I own both), they have more intimate soundstages which may not be optimal for gaming. That said, both are outstanding for music, you just would have to add an amplifier to the mix, as both need amplfication in order to properly drive. Tonally, the 600 is brighter on top and more rolled off below, the 650, warmer on top and more robust down low (more like the 400S overall).
All told, of these four and given your list of particulars, I would think the HiFiMEN would be the better choices. If you want something that is able to play straight out of a phone or ipod, then go for the 400S. If you are thinking amplifier, then the 400i would be a good option. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am sorry I didn't respond immediately. I am a teacher at the end of interims and a lot of grading.

I have this amp already: Nobsound NS-08E Vaccum Tube Amp

I also have a DAC sound card which significantly improves whatever I listen to, of course.

I am happy to hear that the HE400S would be a nice choice. I am really interested in that. I love the soundstage and if the HD600 is not big on that, I don't think it would be a spectacular fit for me. Also glad to hear you think the build quality it good.

I listen to everything at my computer. I have no interest in headphones on the go. I guess I could try the 400i since I have an amp... just no idea if it is quality enough to cut it

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Although the HD 600's are very good headphones they have a very small soundstage. I like the HE-400S a lot as they have a pretty decent soundstage and are just a touch warmer than the 400i's with a bit more bass.

I have this feeling that I will one day own all 3... the HD600, the X2 and the HE400S... I think for now I am leaning heavily toward the 400s for the availability/price point.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Not a bad choice I listen to mine often .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back