My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #331 of 502

Quote:

Definitely agreed, I know so many other forums that have that kind of unction on the top of the bulletin board for new users, such as 'read the rules before you post' and other linked important sticky's. And not to mention I'm sick and tired of seeing 'what is the best headphone under x value threads', I think I'm going to pitch a tent in the DIY section, at least then user's who don't bother using the search function won't barge into the DIY section asking the same stupid question. 

But see, they are stickied up there. It's just that IMO the sponsors' stickied, more-often updated links are more in quantity than the helpful links are. And they put it on top of it first. I know this site thrives on sponsors but... Sigh. I don't know what's good anymore, or what's okay. I'll stop now.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #333 of 502

Quote:
Yeah, Although I'm part of the young scene (20 yo), it's mostly the rest of my group that ruin's everything.

And I'm 18. It's not too difficult to do. All they need to do is to add another thread to the Important Links section. As for implementing such a system... it's going to be taxing on the mods.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #336 of 502
There's an idea. But, how inviting does that sound? "Oh, if you make a mistake honest or just stupid, suffer the consequences"
It would be interesting to find out if any sites out there dealing with threads have implemented a system something similar to this.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #337 of 502
Recently though in the "ask reccs here" thread, there seems to be a number of people just asking for "$400 headphones that's best for me. This is what I listen to". I balk at that price, at least for starting out. But people's money are their own, so I can't do nothing about it. There are some better ones that have done some research, so that helps.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #338 of 502
I'm sorry for not understanding your statement. But what do you mean by "There are some better ones that have done some research, so that helps?"

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #339 of 502

Quote:
There's an idea. But, how inviting does that sound? "Oh, if you make a mistake honest or just stupid, suffer the consequences"
It would be interesting to find out if any sites out there dealing with threads have implemented a system something similar to this.

Frankly the post should remind them that 2 warnings are more than enough. People would understand if you have no experience with forums so there's most likely not going to be a second time anyways. The people who purposely make new threads even after being reminded of the policy should be temporarily banned, period.

Haven't we three derailed this thread enough?

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #340 of 502
I can get behind that. Ha, yea, I think I will shut-up now :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #341 of 502
Recently though in the "ask reccs here" thread, there seems to be a number of people just asking for "$400 headphones that's best for me. This is what I listen to". I balk at that price, at least for starting out. But people's money are their own, so I can't do nothing about it. There are some better ones that have done some research, so that helps.

Never really bothered with that thread. I'll pay more attention and inject some experience.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #342 of 502

Quote:
Well there are the "ask for advice here" threads. I don't think anyone would be upset at seeing the same question repeated over and over there, considering the gargantuous dimension of the thread. That kind of solves it.

The problem is it's always the same people replying, and there's a lot of headphones we have no experience with, so it's hard to compare sometimes

Just from hanging out on that thread and reading the last couple pages I had an idea. What if we had a reference thread/wiki similar to what ljokerl and CLIEOS have now that lists headphones by price, style, open/closed, sound sig, etc, with links to all the reviews/comparisons/etc that are on here? Not the most elegant solution, but I think it might be a good place to refer people, as they always ask with the same qualifiers, and I think this could be an easy place to refer people to. Also preface it with a concise guide explaining what all the categories mean in terms of what they're looking for.

I might start one soon, but does anyone else think it's a good idea?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #343 of 502

Quote:
The problem is it's always the same people replying, and there's a lot of headphones we have no experience with, so it's hard to compare sometimes

Just from hanging out on that thread and reading the last couple pages I had an idea. What if we had a reference thread/wiki similar to what ljokerl and CLIEOS have now that lists headphones by price, style, open/closed, sound sig, etc, with links to all the reviews/comparisons/etc that are on here? Not the most elegant solution, but I think it might be a good place to refer people, as they always ask with the same qualifiers, and I think this could be an easy place to refer people to. Also preface it with a concise guide explaining what all the categories mean in terms of what they're looking for.

I might start one soon, but does anyone else think it's a good idea?

Yea I think a wiki type thing would be a great idea. At the very least, it would be more organized and easier to find information. Maybe someone should also make a flow chart of how to start finding the right headphones and make clickable paths to get to suggestions based on buyer answers to questions (money, bass, type of music, etc.)

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #344 of 502
There will always be haters, which is not a good or a bad thing. The people who hate on items such as Bose, alot of the times only wish for people to become more educated about the hobby that they are passionate about, thus becoming overcritical in their assessments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back