My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
Mar 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #301 of 502

Quote:
Somehow, that seems to belong in another thread..

I agree that wealth is not a synonym for wisdom and knowledge. I know plenty of blind rich fools who don't know any better than college kids. Sometimes even less.

That being said, I find my knowledge sadly limited to my income bracket. It lies under "no knowledge without experience".

Takes time and effort, like so many things in life. Having the cash is not the gateway into attaining a good sense of
 'what is what' in Head-Fi.

You can only buy, sell and trade so much in a given period of time, many have traveled this path and it's the most expensive.

A better way is to go the extra mile to visit retailers, travel that extra 100 miles to attend that meet or Hi-Fi show.

Sometimes it just boils down to laziness ~ I see it time and time again - people about to spend $500+ on a new piece of gear
 and yet they won't travel more than 1 hour or so outside their comfort zone to attain an experience, they'd rather take a punt
 from the comfort of their cushy chair.

No pain, no gain, no miles, no smiles. You get the idea 
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #303 of 502
Yep, that's the guy! He's got a talk show and all

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #304 of 502

Quote:
X2
I am a beginning audiophile adventurer and I have to say your post speaks a lot of truth. I have been lurking around for a while now, and I always come looking for advice, usually through other people posing same/similar questions that I have. I can only hope that your gripe and our plead will resonate with others, perhaps at fault, maybe not. That's not to say every thread is littered with arrogant opinions made to feel objective. But, for me many informational posts have been bombarded with tyrannical statements, with the if you disagree with me you're stupid outline. IMO too many posts are allowed to turn into pissing matches.
As you'll hear time and time again music is subjective. So can't we just discuss the music and voice our differing opinions in a fair manner? Probably not.
I just hope this site doesn't turn into something it shouldn't be. When I have felt timid or stupid at times, I have overwhelming encouragement to keep going.
I am definitely glad I've started to engage in conversation with fellow Head-Fiers. Let's not ruin it for the next new curious individual trying to gauge a incredibly fun and addictive hobby. Hope I didn't rant or go off topic in some way. I appreciate you voicing your feelings on some of the hi-jinks that go on on this site.
I hope I didn't offend anyone, that wasn't my intention. Just bring awareness to how we can get out of hand at times. This is suppose to be fun not about proving yourself right and everyone else wrong. 

Very nice post and right on topic, too!
smile_phones.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #305 of 502
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my 2 cents :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #306 of 502
the hate of beats and bose....I understand it but you can't make people like what you like.  They pay for their pleasure.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #307 of 502

Quote:
But, again I see your point of view, while also seeing petedgr8's. I think we are all entitled to voice our opinions, whether or not you've heard a particular phone, or have just gained the consensus of the vast majority.

I think comes down to a separation of what one can do, versus what one should do.  Voicing an opinion on a headphone without ever having heard it, is not generally helpful.  So if you haven't heard something, it's better IMO, to just keep your mouth shut and let someone else answer.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #308 of 502
I like the qc15s, they may not sound the best for $300 but in my opinion they have some of if not the best noise canceling you can get. and from the few bose products I have owed they have excellent customer service,years ago when the qc3s were my main set of headphones I lest the cable battery and charger in a hotel room and I went into a local bose outlet and they gave me a a new cable,charger and battery for free. But I have also had (and returned) all the beats currently out but the mixr and the regular solo and in my opinion they are not worth anywere near what there price is.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #309 of 502

Quote:

I think comes down to a separation of what one can do, versus what one should do.  Voicing an opinion on a headphone without ever having heard it, is not generally helpful.  So if you haven't heard something, it's better IMO, to just keep your mouth shut and let someone else answer.

This.

Who would prefer the opinion of someone who's never heard that particular headphone vs the opinion of someone who's had it for months / years.

Of course, the goal wouldn't be to stop ppl from voicing their opinions, but it would be common sense to simply add how did you form that opinion of yours. When someone is looking to spend 500$ on a piece of equipment, I'm pretty sure he won't really care about posts like "Well IMO they sound amazing" from someone who tested that piece of equipment once at the marketplace or someone who's read somewhere something good about that equipment. Common sense.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #310 of 502

Quote:
This.

Who would prefer the opinion of someone who's never heard that particular headphone vs the opinion of someone who's had it for months / years.

Of course, the goal wouldn't be to stop ppl from voicing their opinions, but it would be common sense to simply add how did you form that opinion of yours. When someone is looking to spend 500$ on a piece of equipment, I'm pretty sure he won't really care about posts like "Well IMO they sound amazing" from someone who tested that piece of equipment once at the marketplace or someone who's read somewhere something good about that equipment. Common sense.

You talk like experienced people are right around the corner. I've made some threads asking for help and no one posted. I'd even take second-hand info. Of course no one's even trying to debate that the opinion of someone who owns the headphones is comparable to someone who read about them, but if no one else posts, which seems to happen a lot, I'd say the person asking for help will take anything.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #311 of 502

Quote:

You talk like experienced people are right around the corner. I've made some threads asking for help and no one posted. I'd even take second-hand info. Of course no one's even trying to debate that the opinion of someone who owns the headphones is comparable to someone who read about them, but if no one else posts, which seems to happen a lot, I'd say the person asking for help will take anything.

I know, and you're right. Plus my answer to this, isn't the right one.

When I first joined, I asked for the ultimate basshead phone the would fit my needs (portable, easy to drive, etc.). ATH M50 and Pro700Mk2. The two only choices I was recommended. Since I can't listen to them where I live, and I did search around about them and most opinions where saying "wow, utlimate basshead phones" I decided to buy the Pro700. Truth be told, I could see that most opinions came from "not so experienced" head-fiers, but I told to myself... "it's better than nothing". Very very disappointed, hated them in nearly every aspect, sold them after a month.
So next, I PM'ed 2-3 "experienced" head-fier's, after a little chitchat I was set, baught a new pair and was very satisfied.

So, my solution to this was "PMs" but that kills the whole point of having a forum. Experienced ppl I guess are missing or simply fed up of posting for X reasons.   

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #312 of 502

Quote:
I know, and you're right. Plus my answer to this, isn't the right one.

When I first joined, I asked for the ultimate basshead phone the would fit my needs (portable, easy to drive, etc.). ATH M50 and Pro700Mk2. The two only choices I was recommended. Since I can't listen to them where I live, and I did search around about them and most opinions where saying "wow, utlimate basshead phones" I decided to buy the Pro700. Truth be told, I could see that most opinions came from "not so experienced" head-fiers, but I told to myself... "it's better than nothing". Very very disappointed, hated them in nearly every aspect, sold them after a month.
So next, I PM'ed 2-3 "experienced" head-fier's, after a little chitchat I was set, baught a new pair and was very satisfied.

So, my solution to this was "PMs" but that kills the whole point of having a forum. Experienced ppl I guess are missing or simply fed up of posting for X reasons.   

I do not understand why PMs kill the whole point of a forum. Without the forum to begin with, how did you know who the "experienced people" were? I think if you need a quick answer to something specific, PMs are a great way to go about it without ****ting up the forum with another "what should I buy" thread.

The point of a forum is to discuss products or topics worth debating about. Like this thread.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #314 of 502

Perhaps the use of interactive multi-media is the key ~ more youtube, more active discussion concerning specific topics that
can finally be laid to rest.

Not sure if I'm misreading things but this appears to be the under current of this very thread. The constant recurrence of
certain threads and topics on a daily and sometimes - Head-Fi hourly basis.

Eg,

'What are the best cans for under $100?'

'What are the best basshead cans for under 'X'?'

'Do you secretly think about Dr Dre Beats when in the shower?'

Now let's assume someone with said 'knowledge' comes along and decides to contribute in a regular manner, surely they will find
themselves responding to such threads - constantly. It will never end. No sooner have they pressed 'submit', that another thread,
exactly the same mind you has popped up asking the same thing.

How long can anyone reasonably sane be expected to keep this up?

The picture starts to look like this :-

A very funny movie and a pertinent reminder that valued contributors cannot be expected to continually contribute to the *same* threads over and over.

This presents us with a dilemma - everyone has a right - if you don't feel like searching, even for a brief second then of course you can put up another
generic thread. However, the other side of the coin is that those more experienced than yourself don't owe you anything - so they choose not to post.

In the end it's all up about quality versus quantity - we can choose as a Head-Fi community to cut down on the sheer volume of new threads re-hashing
the same basic queries and focus on more enriching and creative discussions for the benefit of everyone.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #315 of 502

Quote:

Perhaps the use of interactive multi-media is the key ~ more youtube, more active discussion concerning specific topics that
can finally be laid to rest.

Not sure if I'm misreading things but this appears to be the under current of this very thread. The constant recurrence of
certain threads and topics on a daily and sometimes - Head-Fi hourly basis.

Eg,

'What are the best cans for under $100?'

'What are the best basshead cans for under 'X'?'

'Do you secretly think about Dr Dre Beats when in the shower?'

Now let's assume someone with said 'knowledge' comes along and decides to contribute in a regular manner, surely they will find
themselves responding to such threads - constantly. It will never end. No sooner have they pressed 'submit', that another thread,
exactly the same mind you has popped up asking the same thing.

How long can anyone reasonably sane be expected to keep this up?

The picture starts to look like this :-

A very funny movie and a pertinent reminder that valued contributors cannot be expected to continually contribute to the *same* threads over and over.

This presents us with a dilemma - everyone has a right - if you don't feel like searching, even for a brief second then of course you can put up another
generic thread. However, the other side of the coin is that those more experienced than yourself don't owe you anything - so they choose not to post.

In the end it's all up about quality versus quantity - we can choose as a Head-Fi community to cut down on the sheer volume of new threads re-hashing
the same basic queries and focus on more enriching and creative discussions for the benefit of everyone.

I totally agree with this post.  I think most of us that have been here for a couple of years or more tend to ignore the daily "What are the best headphones under $100?" thread.

Also, I personally don't have any idea what the best headphone under $100 is.  None of my headphones were less than $100, nor are most of the headphones I have experience with from meets.

Edit: BTW, my stock answer to the above question is probably Grado SR80's or Creative Labs Aurvanas.  Or a link to Joker's huge comparison thread for inexpensive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back