MX500 and Koss KSC-35
May 5, 2003 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

leydig

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a student (read: poor person) looking for a pair of comfortable, portable, good-sounding headphones that I can use for a number of years. I was all prepared to shell out >CA$200 for a pair of A8 until I found you guys. Thank you so much!

After reading many of your sage comments, the MX500 and KSC35 seem like good bets. However, some important questions remain, which I hope you can answer:

MX500
-Are these comfortable for use over many hours? They look rather big.
-Are they secure during exercise (jogging, weights)?

KSC35
-Will they fit a small person? The loops look rather big. I'm an asian girl, 5'2" and wear size 5 shoes (don't know if that helps, heh...) Neckband headphones from my friends blast sound at my earlobes, almost!
-Are they comfortable for use over many hours?
-Can they be adequately driven by portables like iPods?

I'll be using them for the gym, commuting, homework and from the computer (music, movies, gaming), so comfort/portability are very important.

And if anyone can point me to retailers around Montreal, I'd be eternally grateful...

Thank you!

May 5, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 41
The MX500 are rather big for earbuds so unless you have rather big earcanals they probably won't stay there when jogging, the KSC35 are better for that. Both headphones are quite easy to drive so an Ipod will work just fine with either. Comfortwise I'd go with the KSC35, except maybe the first few hours when at least my ears had to get used to the clips. As for the loops on the KSC35 being big I wouldn't worry about it, my sis that is about your size tried them and they fit her without problem.

May 5, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 41
I haven't tried the MX500 yet, but from what I hear, it may or may not fit into your ears.

I've recently purchased the KSC-35s for myself and my siblings, and so far, I am very pleased with them. The level of clarity and detail from these are unbelievable for their price.

As for when I'm running, they haven't fallen off me yet, but I am a 5'8" asian guy, so the results might be different for you.

My sis is 5'3" and considered to be "small" in my view. I guess you and her are around the same size. I'll ask her what she thinks of the KSC-35s when I arrive home, and I'll let you know what I find out.

May 5, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 41
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your (thin, student) wallet! And onto your questions:
Quote:

Originally posted by leydig
MX500

I find that the size of the MX500 are quite accomodating to my ears, but I have rather large ears. However, my girlfriend uses them as well, and she is also about 5'. If I were doing vigorous exercise (basketball), they might fall out, but for jogging and lifting they'd stay in just fine. As well, they are quite possibly the most comfortable pair of headphones that I own. I can wear them for hours and hours without fatigue.

Quote:

KSC35
-Will they fit a small person? The loops look rather big. I'm an asian girl, 5'2" and wear size 5 shoes (don't know if that helps, heh...) Neckband headphones from my friends blast sound at my earlobes, almost!

The way the clips are constructed, I'm pretty sure they will fit any size ear, and snugly at that. My girlfriend's never tried them though, because she is hooked on her ksc-50's (the later model, which are definitely looser and will probably not work so well for working out). These are my second most comfortable pair of headphones -- I can wear them a good 4 hours without a problem. They are very light and you hardly notice when they are on. These are also the most secure headphones that I've ever put on my ears -- they will not fall off even if you were riding a mechanical bull. They can also be driven by just about anything -- and work just fine with an iPod.

If you can get your hands on the ksc-35, get them over the mx-500. The sound from the ksc-35 is much better, and portability/comfort issues are about the same for both. You might try ordering from the Koss website, but they might not have stock anymore and international shipping may be a problem. I'm not sure if you've read this, but the ksc-35 is actually a discontinued model -- so they've been pretty rare up until Koss found a stockpiling of them recently. If you are adamant about picking up the ksc-35, you may want to check the For Sale forums here; they might come up. But you'll have to be fast, they are in high demand.

May 5, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 41
I have both. MX-500 are for big people indeed. I'm a 5'10' latin and sometimes it hurts a little. KSC-35 are great in both sound and size (my 6 year old boy uses it) but are hard to find. There's many post about they coming back but the situation is confusing. Try Koss PortaPro or SportaPro...

May 5, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 41
Thanks for your speedy and highly informative replies!

Forgot one important thing: do the KSC35 interfere with glasses?

Dragonlong: did you get them 2nd-hand? In Canada?

May 5, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 41
Another vote for the KSC-35. A lot of people ( and i'm guessing with varioius shapes and size heads ) have commented on how comfortable they are.

They are also very fun to listen to and sound great. I think everyone owes it to themself to at least own a pair.

May 5, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Thanks for your speedy and highly informative replies!

Dragonlong: did you get them 2nd-hand? In Canada?

Unfortunately, yes they will interfere with glasses. I don't wear glasses, but I can see how the band of the KSC-35 would obstruct the glasses frame.

May 5, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

No, I wear thick Dolce & Gabana glasses and no problem at all.

It seems you can find it, JUST DO IT!

May 5, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 41
I will have an answer for you by the end of the week. I just ordered some KSC-35s and some MX400s.
-Mag

May 5, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by sacriste
No, I wear thick Dolce & Gabana glasses and no problem at all.

It seems you can find it, JUST DO IT!

haha, you are "team cheapo" and have D&G glasses?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 41
the ksc-35 are pretty comfy.. after a few hours or so i feel a pinch where the clips meet my ears though.. still i love them! sound better (more open and balanced) to me than the portas.

May 5, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 41
Hello leydig,

I own both of the earphones your are currently looking into. I would recommend the Koss KSC-35's immediately. You can order the KSC-35's directly from koss' website www.koss.com and they do ship to Canada. The KSC-35's are more expensive, but IMHO they are the better earphone, infact most people here have reviewed the KSC-35's as the best portable headphone ever! The KSC-35's have recently been re-released after being discontinued for several years by Koss. So I would pick up a pair of the
KSC-35's while you still can.

The KSC-50's are similar to the 35's (but supposedly they sound differently) if you cannot get the 35's. The KSC-50's are inexpensive and you can get them for as much as the MX500's (or the 50's may be cheaper) at Amazon.com

To answer your questions directly (if you want to read more)...

MX500

The driver encasing of the headphone is big, but the actual earbud is not that big (do you want me to explain this further?) For me these earbuds were not comfortable at all. Imagine
placing a big hard pastic bead in your earcanal. Imagine the hard
plastic sitting in the opening of your earcanal with the hard
plastic pushing up against your earcanal skin. After awhile these
earbuds start to hurt. But strangely to some people they fit
perfectly?
confused.gif

Everyone suggests using the thicker foam pads that cover the earbuds for extra comfort. I tried that and it didn't work. So for me they were very uncomfortable for use over many hours.
frown.gif

The MX500's would slip out of my ears. Another annoying thing is that the MX500's sound great when they are really logged into your earcanal. With the physical activity they will slip and you will have to readjust them pushing them back into your ears, and hurts *OUCH* that hard plastic on the ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MX500's are great for their inexpensive price. I found that the MX500's are great for listening to Classical music, jazz, instrumental music and of course Vocal music. However, if you like your music with BASS you might be disappointed with the MX500's, to my ears there was NO BASS produced from the MX500's even with the Bass Boost up to the highest level on my portable player.

KSC35

I think so. They are sport clip earphones, they clip onto the top part of your earlobe. If you have earlobes they should fit onto your ears fine.

I would consider the KSC-35's WAY MORE comfortable than the MX500's.

By design the KSC-35's are very THIN. They clip onto your earlobes. If you have short hair they will be fine. If you have thick long hair you might have some problems with having to readjust their secure fit during exercise with your hair swaying and all, if you pull it back it should be fine.

Yes. My KSC-35 play excellently with my portable MD player/recorder. Sorry I don't own an iPod, but the phones you are looking at KSC-35's and MX500s play fine on portables.

To answer your question about the earphones being able to last you, both the MX500's and the KSC-35's are both in a way honestly flimsy. The KSC-35's are very thin and the actual clip that attaches to your ear is hard plastic. I am afraid that one day I will break the clip. The MX500's are all plastic. The body of the MX500 seems shatterable. I could image carrying the earbuds in the back pocket of jeans and then sitting down and crushing the earbuds. Both seem flimsy, but you will get a way much better sound out of the KSC-35's!

Also most importantly the KSC-35's have a "no questions ask" limited lifetime warranty (the MX500's do not.)

May 5, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 41
leydig, I got my KSC-35s from the Koss website using the coupon code for free shipping. As far as I can tell, shipping was surprisingly free even though I'm in Canada. I think the coupon code 418 is still valid, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

May 5, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 41
If you want headphones that will last for years... KOSS is a good bet, as they have a lifetime guarantee.

My brother broke his Senn MX400s.. and they don't fit all too well so during jogging they may come loose (depends on the fluffy thing you use, some are better than others). I think the MX400s should fit fine.

KSC-35s however dont' favor small ears very well.... some of my friends have small ears and have problems wearing them. Maybe my friend is weird, or it really is loose (he has small ears), but he needs to turn it up to insane volume levels to listen to "his liking". He also thinks that if headphones leak at all... then you're not listening to the music, but the background noise. He's crazy... and listens to his crappy sony stock earbuds at insane volume levels.

I tend to be ignored.. so my opinion is generally not heard by people... so oh well. Maybe it's better they never learn what good audio sounds like :p (they say my eggo's and MX400 and KSC35s sound the same as their headphones..... err).

Anyways, the KSC35s appear quite flimsy... one side of my earclips, the right side, has come loose (well.. after 3 days). I've sat on them, stepped on them (lightly!) a few times, slept on top of them, slept on my side. After a year, they are still in good shape (although ever since I've bought my eggo's, they've been getting less time), but since you're asian, I'll assume you have generally dark hair (mine is dyed a bit), but they hide very nicely under my hair during class (if you have medium-long length hair over your ears/sides). My earbuds are very obvious even.. but no one seems to notice the KSC-35s.. also they are so open. You can listen to music at medium-low levels, so people around you don't notice you have headphones (teachers oO), and they are open so you can hear the teacher talk still. Good for simulating "background music" in everyday life :p Turn up the volume a bit and enjoy the music a bit better.

I go jogging with them.. they stay in place, except the right feels a bit loose... but as long as you don't pay attention to it, it won't fall off, don't worry.

But now.. I find myself constantly listening to my Eggos.. I just think it sounds so much cleaner.. more soothing. This is especially true with female vocals, which just just sounds so much better on the Eggos than the KSC35s...

Obviously, right now, the flavor of the month is the KSC35s.. so a lot of people think the KSC35s are better than the 4x more expensive Eggos...

Maybe it's cause I paid so much more for them (paid $20 for KSCs over a year ago)... and just dont' want to admit something so much cheaper sounds better? Maybe its psychological.. but I really like my Eggos :p

The MX400s are good for sleeping on your side with, they sound decent, but all in all, they are earbuds. People say it's too big, but I haven't found that to be a problem with anyone yet.

KSC-35s sound much, much better. Much better lows, highs, mids, everything. They are open, however, and they camoflague in hair :p
But.. they MAY not fit.. I'm not sure. (I have the old version.. don't know about the new ones, but they should be generally the same, with gold plated plugs, which is a plus).

Both are pretty good for portable use...

Hmm.. now that I read it over.. it seems I rambled on quite a bit.. sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back