Must Have Cds and SACDs
Dec 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kunalraiker

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to added to my collection of Cds and SACDs, wanted to know what music do you guys think are the best recorded,good soundstage,clean-if you know what that means and still interesting to listen to.
something that makes you repeating the Cd over and over again, something that you would never trade.
All your recommmendations are greatly appreciated as it will give me ideas on what to buy.
if its necessary to know, I listen to pop,trance,ambient,jazz,world music, accoustic,New Age, Rock and basically anything that is nice.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 16
Try Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar, sometimes referred to as the "Armadillo Album."

If you aren't much into roots/bluegrass, do not let that put you off. This is just Kottke playing his guitars solo. People either don't know about the album or they love it. Give it a try and you'll probably end up giving it a lot of spins.

You can find it on both CD and SACD. I first discovered it on CD, then just about wet my pants when I found out that there was a SACD available. Get the SACD!

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar, sometimes referred to as the "Armadillo Album."

If you aren't much into roots/bluegrass, do not let that put you off. This is just Kottke playing his guitars solo. People either don't know about the album or they love it. Give it a try and you'll probably end up giving it a lot of spins.

You can find it on both CD and SACD. I first discovered it on CD, then just about wet my pants when I found out that there was a SACD available. Get the SACD!

This is also available on vinyl including a Classic Records release from 2009 (which is sweet, IMO).

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Is there a listing of albums that have releases/versions on both SACD and DVD-A?

I just got a used Toshiba SD 6915 carousel that does DVD-A and SACD, so I thought it'd be an interesting a/b/c test with a CD, SACD and DVD-A.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a listing of albums that have releases/versions on both SACD and DVD-A?

I just got a used Toshiba SD 6915 carousel that does DVD-A and SACD, so I thought it'd be an interesting a/b/c test with a CD, SACD and DVD-A.

That will mostly be a hard one to find, as I doubt any producer would split between two high resolution formats.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 16
Beck's Sea Change SACD. Very warm sounding album that ISN'T a victim of the loudness wars. Lots of dynamic range oddles of details. Guitars don't sound like guitars but rather fingers agaisnt metal strings skillful played to create harmonies. I imagine this is the SQ people talk about when they talk about vinyl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar,

I looked this up on Amazon.ca. Looks intriguing tho I despise bluegrass. However, for some reason I am more open minded toward head-fi music recommendations than from my real friends. Don't know why.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The following does the comparison for Diana Krall's The Look Of Love

Dynamic Comparison of CD, DVD-A, SACD - Part 1 — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Isn't DSOTM available in all three formats?

And, if memory serves, Sea Change (Beck) and Pet Sounds (Beach Boys) ??

Added: Tubular Bells? Tommy? ... all from memory, will check on-line later

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 16
You mentioned world music so here's my .02. Marino de Rosas -Meridies I discovered this artist by accident and it has become one of my favorite albums. Besides being very beautiful and melodic music, Amiata Records did a fine job recording the album.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by salsadj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mentioned world music so here's my .02. Marino de Rosas -Meridies I discovered this artist by accident and it has become one of my favorite albums. Besides being very beautiful and melodic music, Amiata Records did a fine job recording the album.

I'am not too sure of Amazon, as I'am in Australia, will have to search e-bay.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 16
I just acquired Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" SACD from a fellow Head-Fier. Absolutely blew me away. I've listened to this recording many times, never have I heard it like this. Stunning, absolutely stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back