Musiland Monitor 02 US
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #76 of 1,340
Well it finally came in the mail today.

I'm using the Grado SR225i for my set of cans and using XP for my OS.

I got it working with foobar with both ASIO and set it as my default sound card on my laptop.

Anyway this thing kills the headphone jack of my laptop so that's good news.

Good product, now if anyone can confirm if this can passthru DD and DTS 5.1?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #77 of 1,340
According to ebay vendor Coolfungadget, in response to my emails to the effect, the 02, the 01 US and the 01 USD can do it.

Also, in another thread here, at least 1 person mentions that he was able to do AC3 (but had not yet tried DTS) with a 01 USD (or US).

Now, how to make it happen is another story. If you have the product and the instructions don't say it, I guess some trial and error is in order. Perhaps AC3Filter could help (look it up, it's free).

Do share you findings in this respect, please.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #78 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ektalog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to ebay vendor Coolfungadget, in response to my emails to the effect, the 02, the 01 US and the 01 USD can do it.

Also, in another thread here, at least 1 person mentions that he was able to do AC3 (but had not yet tried DTS) with a 01 USD (or US).

Now, how to make it happen is another story. If you have the product and the instructions don't say it, I guess some trial and error is in order. Perhaps AC3Filter could help (look it up, it's free).

Do share you findings in this respect, please.

Well I look at the bottom of the box and sure enough it does say in Chinese that it can output DD and DTS.

I use Media Player Classic (K-Lite Codec Pack, does wonders) and if you're using ffdshow audio decoder you can tell it to output DD/DTS via S/PDIF or HDMI.

I don't use a 5.1 set up, but it's nice for $150 or less you can output 5.1 sound from my laptop. On Saturday I have to do a demo for my local audio shop about this product. The owner is interested in it considering it can do many things for the price.

Edit: For the drivers I was using the drivers from the CD (1.0.3) and it was having some cracking noise on the right channel on ASIO mode. I upgraded to 1.0.5.0 and the problem is fixed. Now it's all good the drivers.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #79 of 1,340
Just upgraded my computer os to windows 7 home premium (I installed it as part of a triple boot system where I can boot from xp, vista or 7),no problems with the musiland driver (I like the control panel alot much better than other usb devices) I am using the 1.05.0 driver for the Musiland 02 and can say under windows 7 in the wasapi mode it sounds the best (asio is also very good), its got added depth with better clarity and in particular the instruments seem to have more space around them, great sound very close to my reference using a lynx aes16 soundcard, the cpu use is zero virtually 99% of the time (as shown in task manager) and I get no glitches or breakups in the sound, excellent little product exceptional value. The headphone output I have found sounds best using my Audio Technica ATH1000 headphones rather than my Beyer DT880, my friends Grado SR6os also sounded great.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #84 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
specs of PCM1793 seem quite poor compared to PCM1792, still people are saying that this uses a higher quality DAC than STX.
Am I missing something ?

It could very well be a better "DAC", even if it uses an inferior "DAC chip".

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #86 of 1,340
Would you recommend this to me as a suitable DAC/amp combo for the price? It'll be my first investment so I want to know i'm taking the right step before biting the bullet.

I'm kind of torn between this and the Audio-gd compass. ahh decision decisions!

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #88 of 1,340
anybody knows if usb data transfer is asynchronous in Monitor 02?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #90 of 1,340
this little thing keeps amazing me. i'm definitely going to buy one.

final question - are analog outputs fixed or variable? if variable i guess volume is digitally controlled since there is no visible pot on the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back