Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jul 23, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #781 of 1,340

I bought a 3ft usb cable from monoprice to replace the stock usb cable and to my surprise I felt like the overall sound quality improve somewhat.  Most people will not tell a different, but when you listen to your sound system everyday you kind of can tell a different.  The different is very slight but enough to affect my mind thinking is it better. The cable only cost me $3 shipped.  That's not bad just to try it out for the heck of it.  Glad I did it.
One thing for sure, the cable doesn't sound any worst than the stock cable :)

Kenken thanks for posting this. 

Quote:
I actually replace the USB cable with the one from monoprice, 1.5ft gold plated. Although I said that I do not believe that a replacement will provide any improvement, it does!! The improvement is not very obvious and would certainly not noticable for causal listening, but when I listen carefully, I found that the sound is a little bit more detail and more smooth. And my roommate has exactly the same comments so it seems that it is not coming from the psychological effect.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #782 of 1,340

Quote:
I bought a 3ft usb cable from monoprice to replace the stock usb cable and to my surprise I felt like the overall sound quality improve somewhat.  Most people will not tell a different, but when you listen to your sound system everyday you kind of can tell a different.  The different is very slight but enough to affect my mind thinking is it better. The cable only cost me $3 shipped.  That's not bad just to try it out for the heck of it.  Glad I did it.
One thing for sure, the cable doesn't sound any worst than the stock cable :)

Kenken thanks for posting this. 

I am grad that one more pal support my view. For now I still cannot find time to do the blind test, but I hope that I can do it ASAP(at least in summer Orz)

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #783 of 1,340
I just bought more miscellaneous monoprice cables. I just can't help it. They're super cheap and get the job done very well.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #784 of 1,340
I actually get from them a usb A to B 1.5 ft,, 2 RCA to 2 RCA 3ft and 3.5mm to 2 RCA 3 ft gold plated cables. I will be happy with them until I want  to DIY a silver cable (which I am learning how to DIY a silver 2 RCA cables)

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #785 of 1,340
Not acceptable to wait three seconds?  Do you like listen to one song in 44.1 and the next song in 96?  You sound very impatient.  It is not like it needs to reclock every time to play a song you know.  I had a friend buy this DAC and he doesn't care for the relock because it saves him over $1000+ on a DAC (and he uses this DAC in his $20,000 sound system and it's amazing).

IMO you are being waaaay too harsh on this device.  Did you honestly expect this device to do everything for $130?    

Quote:
It's still not acceptable to be forced to wait 3 secs when switching sample rates...and the nasty part is that while the sample rate is being switched, all the frames are dropped, hah! they had no other choice as you can't halt the windows audio sub-system.

so either you get totally flaky instant sample rates, or almost accurates ones after waiting forever...and dropping frames. Musiland are well aware of the problem, as they've learned from their own mistakes: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443786/musiland-monitor-02-us/600#post_6624136

if they put a rollable opamp, possibly a Tenor chip too(considering they're clueless when it comes to writing drivers)...the Musiland 03US could do the trick, I guess
wink_face.gif

And on your link, the Musiland was fed from a proper DPS...not USB power.

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #786 of 1,340
well, I like to play music in 44.1 and upsample movies to 96kHz...it's vastly annoying that all frames are dropped for 3 secs when switching from one to the other. but the 1.90 drivers were a BSOD feast in KS on XP w/ the 01USD anyway(same clock synthesis as the 02US).

a 02US in a $20K set up? its OP275 opamps are such a big of a bottleneck that we can safely assume that he's never heard his set up properly. the fairy tale that all the DAC sound the same is just that, a fairy tale.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #787 of 1,340
What movie program you use?  I use Media Player Classic with Reclock so all my movies run in bit-perfect and the Musiland DAC change the clocks before the movies even plays (so no dropped flames).  Reguarding drivers I didn't have any BSOD ever so it could be your computer (and this laptop is five years old).  

Yes a 02US in his $20k setup.  The guy been an audiophile for 40+ years and he is using this DAC over his Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC (he did had a computer transport before but I forgot what it was).  OP275 opamps yes not the greatest but I would let the ears decide.  I will tell you one thing:  Listening to classical on his setup made me believe I was listening to a real-life performance in front of me.  
Quote:
well, I like to play music in 44.1 and upsample movies to 96kHz...it's vastly annoying that all frames are dropped for 3 secs when switching from one to the other. but the 1.90 drivers were a BSOD feast in KS on XP w/ the 01US anyway(same clock synthesis as the 02US).

a 02US in a $20K set up? its OP275 opamps are such a big of a bottleneck that we can safely assume that he's never heard his set up properly. the fairy tale that all the DAC sound the same is just that, a fairy tale.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #788 of 1,340
Well, that's what I thought about the BSOD's...until thebathingape mentioned them too: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/423960/musiland-monitor-01-usd-24-192-usb-to-spdif/825#post_6753995
Yes i thought it was my overclock at first (with summer heat etc), then i downclocked but the still got BSOD's. Then i saw the similar experiences in the musiland forums.

Actually, I get a BSOD after 2 mins in Reclock...having chinese-only forums is also pretty darn annoying, just like hoping for "free lunch" working drivers...look at the asus stx threads, I'm glad I quickly foresaw that asus would never be able to release proper drivers.

I still rest my case that the 02USD is his weak link IMHO...it'd be like having a killer HD setup and watch SVHS tapes on it
redface.gif

I use reclock in 48/96Hz and the resampler's running at 96kHz...it drops frames in "precision" mode, it very much does.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #789 of 1,340
It must be your computer that's causing BSOD because I'm on the latest drivers and I never had a problem with it. 

My friend and I prefer the Monitor over his Tri Vista DAC with computer transport (which he purchased new for $2400).

I rest my case that this is a killer value.  

Edit:  I never had the "dropped frames" issues like you are having.  Try to reconfig your video program or try a different one.   

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #790 of 1,340
well, it's happening to a lot of ppl if you check the last link I posted, but I remember the 02US was working fine when I had it...most likely it's a 01USD-only problem.
glad you like it! don't let upgraditis eat you alive
mouss_diouf.gif

I wasn't trolling anyway, just sharing opinions
wink_face.gif

PS: you don't get dropped frames because you play your movies bitperfect, I don't as I need Reclock to provide realtime adaptation in 48/96Hz...all my movies are upsampled to 96kHz.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #791 of 1,340
Hi everybody,

I bought this toy some days ago and i'm quite happy with it.
I use it in this way pc-->musiland 02(line out)-->pre-->active subwoofer-->powerAmp-->loudspeaker
(yes, i use no headphones!) to listen my files and
I have to confirm the positive impressions I read on this forum about detail and soundstage,
but i have to complain the constructor absolute lacking of informations too.
In the package, i found a cdrom with useless pdf files and a ridicolous installation manual,
and nothing about the SW that manages this card,
So I'm facing problems when i try to use SR other than 44.1:
foobar gives a message stating a unrecoverable playback error: no clock!
even if i try to open 24/192 flac files and set SR to 192.
Is there someone out there that can give to me
some kind of help about it?

Windows xp sp2
foobar
asio musiland 1.0.10 (uninstalled and installed 1.0.9, just the same)

THANX.
ps
what does "sync" mean in the mixer control panel?

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #792 of 1,340
"Sync" just indicates whether the left and right channels are synchronised when you adjust the volume level sliders. With "Sync" turned off, you can adjust the left/right channel outputs individually.

I believe you are getting the error because you have other applications besides foobar open that are using the device (although you may not be hearing anything else from it). You'll have to close these applications before the SR can be changed.

I have to agree that there is little documentation (in English?) regarding the device but it is rather straightforward and simple enough to figure out and thus, no real need for a proper manual for most people.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #793 of 1,340
Anyone ever modded a 02US? Changing the OP275 to something different? Caps? Something?

I'm not that good at low voltage electronics, but I do know how to solder pretty nicely. Been listening to my Musiland for around year and like to tinker with it now. Would be nice to make it sound even better. :)

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #794 of 1,340
Hmmm.... changed from 1.0.8.4 to 1.0.10.0 and noticed that bass level is decreased?!

Placebo or did it really happen? Sounds more bright and harsh now, and I'm using line out.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #795 of 1,340

Try the op-amp thread maybe. and look at the OP275 datasheet. If you find a nice drop in replacement, I don't see why not put a socket in, or just de-solder the OP275, and solder on the new one.

On the other hand, if the design of the headphone amp circuit is not terribly impressive to begin with, maybe it's just better to invest in a standalone class-a amp.
Quote:
Anyone ever modded a 02US? Changing the OP275 to something different? Caps? Something?

I'm not that good at low voltage electronics, but I do know how to solder pretty nicely. Been listening to my Musiland for around year and like to tinker with it now. Would be nice to make it sound even better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back