Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jul 18, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #766 of 1,340
>What is the procedure of correctly unpluging the sound card? Last time when I change the cable, I just directly replace it and the soundcard wouldn't function until I reboot the computer. Anyway to prevent that?

strange. mine is completely fine when I unplug it (win 7 or vista). Driver version? What exactly do you mean by "wouldn't function"?

I guess you could try unplugging it at the wall socket as well, but maybe it's a problem with windows?

Or you could try to uninstall it from 'device manager' and then unplug it... 

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #767 of 1,340

Quote:

strange. mine is completely fine when I unplug it (win 7 or vista). Driver version? What exactly do you mean by "wouldn't function"?

Fine for me too, with XP.

However, Firefox does not know where to route the audio if you already have youtube or something like that open. Not that it should matter for this test though...

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #770 of 1,340
that's normal then. 
unless you restart firefox there's no other way. (still going to use the old device handle?) 
If it had a menu to pick between audio output devices, you could've selected the 'new one' to output to without restarting (or the flash plugin?) (I do that with AIMP (winamp clone))

Quote:

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #771 of 1,340
Sure. Doesn't bother me at all.

Just chipping in. Although I don't suppose kenken1985 is trying the test you've mentioned through Firefox.

Also, I've read in other parts of the forum that the USB cable is not as critical for a asynchronous DAC (like the Musiland 02 US?) as it "normally" would. I don't have any particularly good cable to test it myself and am skeptical that there will be any difference at all...

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #772 of 1,340

Quote:
>What is the procedure of correctly unpluging the sound card? Last time when I change the cable, I just directly replace it and the soundcard wouldn't function until I reboot the computer. Anyway to prevent that?

I guess you could try unplugging it at the wall socket as well, but maybe it's a problem with windows?

Or you could try to uninstall it from 'device manager' and then unplug it... 

Foobar return a message saying playback error (The detail I forgot) My driver is already 1.1.10.0. Anyway, I will try to do the test and post the result ASAP.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #774 of 1,340
http://hifiduino.blogspot.com/2010/02/musiland-driver-1082-fast-vs-precision.html

What about this?

It's still not acceptable to be forced to wait 3 secs when switching sample rates...and the nasty part is that while the sample rate is being switched, all the frames are dropped, hah! they had no other choice as you can't halt the windows audio sub-system.

so either you get totally flaky instant sample rates, or almost accurates ones after waiting forever...and dropping frames. Musiland are well aware of the problem, as they've learned from their own mistakes: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443786/musiland-monitor-02-us/600#post_6624136

if they put a rollable opamp, possibly a Tenor chip too(considering they're clueless when it comes to writing drivers)...the Musiland 03US could do the trick, I guess
wink_face.gif

And on your link, the Musiland was fed from a proper DPS...not USB power.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #776 of 1,340

Quote:
It's still not acceptable to be forced to wait 3 secs when switching sample rates...and the nasty part is that while the sample rate is being switched, all the frames are dropped, hah! they had no other choice as you can't halt the windows audio sub-system.

so either you get totally flaky instant sample rates, or almost accurates ones after waiting forever...and dropping frames. Musiland are well aware of the problem, as they've learned from their own mistakes: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443786/musiland-monitor-02-us/600#post_6624136

if they put a rollable opamp, possibly a Tenor chip too(considering they're clueless when it comes to writing drivers)...the Musiland 03US could do the trick, I guess
wink_face.gif

And on your link, the Musiland was fed from a proper DPS...not USB power.

I am not very good at these technical details....Orz

How will that effect affect the sound quality?

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #778 of 1,340
Hello.

I am interested in MM 02, but not sure if I can use this DAC alone from a SPDIF of a CD player OR I must have a computer with USB?

And if you use its built-in hp amplifier, how can you change the volume?

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #779 of 1,340

Quote:
Hello.

I am interested in MM 02, but not sure if I can use this DAC alone from a SPDIF of a CD player OR I must have a computer with USB?

And if you use its built-in hp amplifier, how can you change the volume?

Thanks!

This DAC does not have optical input, only output so you can't use the SPDIF from a CD player as an input. The only input is from USB.

The volume can only be changed in Windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back