Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jan 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #346 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok mine arrived this afternoon but so far I am not able to get it to work properly. It sounds really crackly and there is a lot of clipping. It sounds like 10x worse than my onboard sound and its not even as loud as the onboard gets. I must be doing something wrong

How have you connected it? What drivers are you using?

Are you running the rca outputs from the musiland into an amplifier or powered speakers? I have known people to try running their powered speakers from the headphone outputs of the musiland which would of course result in the clipping you are describing.

The driver install is pretty simple from the CD and copy the foobar asio files into the Foobar/components directory.

I apologise if this reply seems condescending I have just learned to presume nothing.

Regards

Macrog

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #349 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im using headphones plugged into socket 2 - the driver Im using is the latest 1.0.7.0
I havent done anything about foobar. Maybe that is the reason.

1.0.7.0 does not work well for me under 64-bit as I get a lot of crackling and popping but works fine on my other computer that is 32-bit (both Windows 7) so I stick with 1.0.3.2

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #351 of 1,340
the sound is noticeably better with 1.0.3.2 but for some reason the software wont come up for me. I can see it listed in programs but when I click on it nothing happens. With 1.0.7.0 it automatically was in my system tray but thats not the case with 1.0.3.2

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #352 of 1,340
speakers (Musiland Monitor 02 US)
spdf (Musiland Monitor 02 US)

i see these 2 options as the output device for Foobar but only the speakers option works even tho I have the musiland connected to headphones and not speakers.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #354 of 1,340
Damn I want my Musiland already!!!

Been waiting for just one day after it's shipped from coolfungadgets.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #356 of 1,340
Anyone with the Monitor 02 and AKG K702 around?

For me, either ports give + K702 = somewhat quiet output, even with the musiland utility and windows volume dials set to max.

By contrast, a TI based amp made by Fred here can do it at half the 'volume knob capacity.'

So much for port one and lucrative promises of driving high impedance headphones. (ok, 62 ohm is not high impedance, but eh)

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #357 of 1,340
Well it has been a long road getting to this point but suffice to say I have the Musicland working and the music is indeed a step up in performance.
I purchased my Musicland from Coolfungadget on Ebay and received fantastic service. I ordered the Musicland on a Saturday evening, received a email on Sunday morning that my order was processed and the Musicland was shipped. I received a delivery attempt message on Wednesday, three days later, Asia to Southern California in three days impressive service. My Musicland 01 USD is connected to my Cullen Stage II modded PS Audio DLIII yielding a significant synergistic improvement.

It took a couple of emails to receive the firmware update for the 1.0.7.0 but I was eventually able to load the key it into the correct folder. One common problem I noted is that for some reason the Musicland seems to be a little picky with regards to spdif cables. I had some problems getting music out of the box until I switched to my Blue Jeans Cable BNC connector. The step by step instructions were invaluable and thanks to jkeny and TheShaman for their efforts in bringing this to the HeadFi community.

There is an immediate and noticeable improvement in the depth of the sound stage and speed of the music. The dynamics are now getting a little closer to what live should sound like. This improvement currently is with 16/44 FLAC/Foobar/ASIO4all tracks. Now on 24/174.6 Flac tracks the sound stage opens up much wider and deeper and prat is improved further. Percussion instruments move much closer to live than at other bit/sample rates and recordings. Again I am sure the Cullen modded Digital LinkIII dac helped things along as well but thankfully each step has been an added improvement.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #358 of 1,340
I've read if you don't want to go through the laborious process of updating the firmware / getting the key, to get the 1.0.3.2 drivers and be done with it as the 1.0.3.2 drivers are exactly the same as the latest drivers in terms of sound quality? Is this right?

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #360 of 1,340
I think like most soundcards it's primary function is as a DAC - which it seems to do very well indeed. The amplification it provides is good enough for my proline 550s but I don't think the musiland was designed to drive power hungry headphones which require a desktop amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back