Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF
Oct 22, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #526 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think they have made a two marketing boobs - one is the driver registration issue & secondly the 44.1KHz issue. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to resolve this 44.1KHz issue without drawing attention to it because it is a glaring technical fault (although it doesn't effect the sound). They failed to understand that, in the high street, hifi products tend to compete on specifications and this is a major blot on the specs!

why is registration needed if the driver is free? they're afraid it'd be used for another USB device?

ah, so it was a good guess that w/ a 24Mhz clock, there was no way in hell it could support 44.1KHz...

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #527 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried different USB ports, I know the USB ports are working fine as I tested them with other devices. The drivers 'install' but the Control Panel never shows up. I did try the newer drivers but that didn't work. Tried another USB cable (same kind, used my printer's) and it still doesn't detect....

I R Sad. I need a solution eh.
frown.gif

In Task Manager, the driver process (MlCyMon.exe) shows up but my GUIs such as the Musiland Control Panel doesn't show up nor does it show up in Device Manager

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #529 of 905
Received the required key from Musiland today, actually from coolfungadget who helped me to
aquire the key. Thanks coolfungadget !!!
smile.gif

Updated driver to 1.0.5.2 , no comments on sound yet, alto
playing cd tracks via foobar, which are at 44.1k are horrible
with static/noise. I guess this is what some people are complaining
about.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #531 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is registration needed if the driver is free? they're afraid it'd be used for another USB device?

ah, so it was a good guess that w/ a 24Mhz clock, there was no way in hell it could support 44.1KHz...

The 44.1KHz issue does not effect the sound in any way that is noticeable - it's just a specification boob that magazine reviews would pick up on & expose.

I don't know why they didn't devote their undoubted software expertise to correcting this if even to stop us talking about it - look how many sales have been lost because of the false notion that this effects the sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultratone
Updated driver to 1.0.5.2 , no comments on sound yet, alto playing cd tracks via foobar, which are at 44.1k are horrible
about. .

Is it the above 44.1KHz issue you are referring to? If so then you're incorrect - it doesn't effect the sound - your static noise issues cause is to be found elsewhere. Was it not there on the previous driver version?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #532 of 905
Switching from 1.0.5.0 to 1.0.5.2 theirs no difference in SQ. also mine works fine with cds no static.

Quote:

Originally Posted by argent81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think musiland dac is better than a audigy 2 zs?

it sounds better then from my forte so i would think so.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #534 of 905
New 1.0.5.2 has noise/clicking issues only in ASIO mode:
  • When playing music for the first time (constant noise in right channel). Solvable with stop/play again.
  • Between tracks (short click at the start of new track) - only when starting different track while playing first track.
By the symptoms it seems that Musiland programmers forgot to "flush" or "silence" buffers somewhere in ASIO code...

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #535 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  • When playing music for the first time (constant noise in right channel). Solvable with stop/play again.
  • Between tracks (short click at the start of new track) - only when starting different track while playing first track.
By the symptoms it seems that Musiland programmers forgot to "flush" or "silence" buffers somewhere in ASIO code...

Has anybody else experienced this? I haven't been using mine for a while & I' still on 1.0.5.0 version but I did notice a click at the start of playing or switching tracks . I wonder is this what is referred to as "sonic boom" in translation?

Faudrei, you seem to know something about ASIO programming - have you encountered these symptoms before?

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #537 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultratone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........playing cd tracks via foobar, which are at 44.1k are horrible
about.

Sorry about that,
confused_face.gif
restarting does fix it. Not sure I have all settings
configured for best output. Currently using Foobar w/SecretRabbitCode
set to 176 or 192 output.

Output is to Buffalo Sabre32.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #538 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the same problem, I reinstalled the 1.50
Ciao

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #540 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody else experienced this? I haven't been using mine for a while & I' still on 1.0.5.0 version but I did notice a click at the start of playing or switching tracks . I wonder is this what is referred to as "sonic boom" in translation?

Faudrei, you seem to know something about ASIO programming - have you encountered these symptoms before?

JKeny,

I have no experience with ASIO programming.
tongue.gif
I "diagnosed" the possible source of the problem based on my general programming experience (I'm some kind of SW engineer): if you do not flush and/or initalize your buffers - you never know what lies there (old data?) and if you just play such a buffer, this non flushed data can sound like anything.

But this is rather minor and very easy solvable problem. I find 1.0.5.2 somewhat unstable under stressing conditions (opening, closing, changing sample rates, swaping WDM and ASIO)... I had two or three occasions when I had to unplug and re-plug my Monitor (USB connection) to get it "right on track". I find this more worrying although definitely NOT a showstopper.

Beside that, 1.0.5.2 is "faster" - it uses less CPU and associated IRQ's/DPC's and therefore have better latencies. Most probably Musiland programmers are optimising DMA usage in the drivers. It seems they are going in good direction... but they are not yet there.
icon10.gif

...as you said - it is beta, and by installing beta you implicitly accept possible glitches. I find 1.0.5.2 acceptable and are still using it in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back